Search

HKG-LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2000, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
HKG-LHR

Advice on Airline selection.

Flying HKG-LHR-HKG or HKG-LHR-"another city in Europe"-HKG in mid-July.

ONEWORLD airlines preferred (AAdvantage member) and travel on discounted coach.

Which airline I should take and how the route is cheaper/better ?

BA, CX and Virgin(not Oneworld) have direct HKG-LHR. I know Virgin is better "value-for-money" but with mile consideration....

Any ideas on getting higher mileage and comment to service, meal, comfort is helpful and THANKS a lot!

(Also thanks folks at livechat)
Old May 13, 2000, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
HKG - LHR can be incredibly expensive, depending on time of year and class of service. And even on discount fares in Y, BA and CX are generally the most expensive options.

The cheapest are generally SU (Aeroflot), and AI (Air India). However, SU is probably best avoided, and the connection at BOM or DEL is equally so.

During my time in HK (albeit 92-96) many people use EK (Emirates) for travel to Europe. They are affordable, and the service is extremely good in all classes.

If you are planning a stopover in Europe, you may wind up confined to the carrier of that country in order to accomodate the routing, since many deep discount fares will not allow interlining on an onward leg. However, you might not have this problem on CX/BA--depending on the fare.

Check the ads in the SCMP--many travel agents will advertise prices for HKG LON. This should give you an idea of how much of a premium you are paying for CX or BA (if you decided to stick with milage accumulation as your goal).
Old May 14, 2000, 12:09 am

Suggest (if you're in HKG for a while) give Nan Hua Travel Services or Sunpac a call. They're two of the largest GSA's in HKG and usually can offer the cheapest fares.

(If you need numbers, give me a call) BTW, I'm not connected with either of these companies, but I used to run a Travel Agency here in HKG..
Old May 14, 2000, 3:11 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Check the eligiblity of fare codes to suit your AAdvantage membership. CX do not give AA miles on discount economy fares. I am not sure about BA, but call AA or check the web site before you plan what to do with those miles.

Old May 17, 2000, 5:30 am

This is not ex. HKG, thus it may not be of your interest ... just FYI.

I think CX economy net-fare tickets ex. SIN to Europe are sold under the 'H' booking code until 15JUL. This gives you 100% miles on AAdvantage.

Past 15JUL through mid-Nov., it is considered ''off peak,'' during which CX economy net-fare tickets will be booked under 'K,' which accrues nil on AAdvantage.

I haven't checked ex. BKK yet.

CX has this strange but 'massive' change in mileage accrual on AAdvantage based on seasonality, which determines booking codes. 'H,' of course, gives you 100% oneworld bonus miles if you are Platinum or Exe. Plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.