Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consumer Reports Travel Letter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2000, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Consumer Reports Travel Letter

I got an offer in the mail to subscribe to Consumer Reports Travel Letter for $39/year. Does anyone get this? Do you find it helpful? Im interested in knowing before I shell out 40 bucks with no miles as a kick back!
Old Apr 12, 2000, 2:34 am
Original Member

very good reports, slightly skewed toward leisure travel, although they have good airline quality information and in-depth reports on things like RTW tickets. Honestly, though, I read it at the library.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 5:51 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Key word is sems to be UNBIASED!!!
Old Apr 12, 2000, 6:51 am

I got a subscription as a gift, and frankly, it isn't worth the $40, especially if you can read it at the library. The reviews are fine, but the "deals" section is worthless, because by the time you get the snail mail edition, most of the deals have been on the 'net for weeks.

I suggest you try the library or ask around to see if anyone you know gets it so you can read a couple of copies before you commit.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 8:08 am
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
I was a subscriber for more than five years but recently cancelled. They used to have information that you could not find anywhere else. Airline seat configurations, FF programs compared, and car rental comparisons can all be found on the Internet these days. It would still be good for someone who doesn't know there way around the Internet.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 9:09 am

Still subscribing to it and has some good material, although I've seen it change in the past years (with a change in editor, Ed Perkins). Todays issue reveals the current editor (ms. Berger) is resigning, so its wait and see for now.
No, our library does not carry this Travel letter series.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 11:01 am

I read it at the library and it's been a while since I've found anything really useful in it as it's basically geared towards the relatively inexperienced traveler. OTOH I've found an enormous number of helpful travel tips on internet message boards.

Personally, I prefer Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 2:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Delta Platinum, UAL 1K+Club, Natl Emerald Exec, NEXUS/Pre/Global Entry
It's better than travel confidential (the one put out by www.passengerrights.com) but I haven't had an issue for more than 1.5 months! And that's still not saying much.

But it has good articles. One a couple months ago bagged on co, aa for flying the 737 from places like ewr to lax, etc. and listed the longest segments and airlines that use those junk (for long haul)planes.

In general, you'd be better to save 40 bucks and read flyertalk for free instead.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 4:28 pm

I have it for almost 4 years and I keep the copies as reference. I agree that this letter is much more oriented for leisure travel.

It is useful as I can remember that the letter introduced a Brussels-based airline 4 months before the airline started services to the U.S, which saved me big bucks for a trip to Brussels and Paris during the peak summer season.

I think they have the online edition for less. You may check that out.
Old Apr 12, 2000, 6:39 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I subscribed for six years, and dropped it about a year ago. Most of the information is available elsewhere now, although they are a very good source for unbiased consumer-oriented travel reporting. I still like to read it occasionally at the library.
Old Apr 14, 2000, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
I am letting my subscription expire. Used to be better.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
LAX, LHR, et.al.
Old Apr 15, 2000, 2:25 pm

I let my subscription go too. The info was often rather biased, and not thoroughly researched. There wasn't much info on airlines in there, and they would even add stuff to their "index of previous articles" which they didn't cover! I also found that the newsletter could arrive almost any time during the month. On several occasions I've seen the previous month's edition arrive after the current month's, which shows disorganization.

[This message has been edited by West Coast Flyer (edited 04-16-2000).]
Old Apr 15, 2000, 5:38 pm

Save your money . Much like BestFares magazine .the Letter has little value to experienced travelers.

If you are looking for a good travel magazine ,BusinessTraveler magazine is more interesting and includes up to date travel info.There is a US and an UK edition of the magazine .
Old Apr 15, 2000, 5:40 pm

Save your money . Much like BestFares magazine .the Letter has little value to experienced travelers.

If you are looking for a good travel magazine ,BusinessTraveler magazine is more interesting and includes up to date travel info.There is a US and an UK edition of the magazine .
Old Apr 15, 2000, 7:39 pm

Like so many things these days, its time has come and gone, replaced by the more timely and comprehensive resources available on the internet.
Using all the online resources at our disposal, we have become used to being privy to rumours circulating months before an event actually occurs and no longer find much usefulness in being told the same information months after the fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.