Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Write Downs" and MCO coupons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2000, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

"Write Downs" and MCO coupons

Is anyone familiar with the rules, if any, relating to "write downs"? I use the term to mean the situation where one purchases a ticket, say an "L" fare basis, then the carrier subsequently lowers the "L" price. For example, Delta recently lowered a round-trip "L" fare for EWR-ATL from $193 to $183. To get the cash difference, you have pay the $75 penalty -- which usually makes no economic sense. The carrier will, however, (and you sometimes have to push) give a "write down", giving an MCO coupon for the difference which can be used on future travel on the carrier. [NW's MCOs can be transferred once!].

Is there a requirement that the carrier do this, or do carriers do this as a marketing tool to try and retain loyalty. If required, what/where are the applicable requirements?

Thanks.
Old Feb 29, 2000, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you have it in the last part of your theory. United does this same thing for some of it's Premier members. You get the full value of the refund difference if you take it in the form of a United Travel Voucher. There is no law or condition in the tariff that requires them to do this. I thinks it's a customer service issue, plus they get to hang on to your money!
Old Feb 29, 2000, 2:13 pm

Airlines hate to give money back to the customer so they offer the MCO without charging the change fee.
Old Feb 29, 2000, 2:47 pm

Plus, a voucher semi-guarantees future business on that airline.
Old Mar 1, 2000, 7:20 am

Delta has posted rules about how this applies to tickets purchased. It seems that you can get a voucher refund, though they reserve the right to refund discount tickets (whatever that means.) Here is the text of the rule:

Delta Air Lines - Fare Decrease After Ticket Purchase
Domestic General Rules Tariff DGR-1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happens every so often. You purchase an airline ticket only to find later, that the airline has lowered the fare, announced a sale, or instituted a new fare. When this happens, you can receive a refund - even on non-refundable tickets.

If, after you have purchased your Delta Air Lines ticket and before you begin your trip, there is a decrease in the fare or a lower fare is offered, you may receive a refund of the difference provided:

You do not change the origin, destination, stopover point, flights or dates shown on your ticket.
You meet all the requirements of the new fare (advance purchase, minimum stay etc).
If you purchased a fare that imposes a fee for changes, this fee will generally be waived if you accept your refund in the form of a non-refundable Delta Air Lines travel voucher. The voucher is good for one year from the date of issuance and can be used towards the purchase of future air travel or air travel related services on Delta Air Lines.

Example: You purchased a $500 non-refundable ticket that has a $75 change fee. Before you begin your trip, a $350 fare is offered. If you make no changes to your trip (origin, destination, stopover points, flights and dates) and you meet the requirements of the new fare (minimum stay and advance purchase), you may have your ticket re-written and receive a refund in one of two ways.

If you want your money back, you will receive a refund for $75 ($150 for the difference in the fare, less $75 change fee).
If you accept your refund in the form of a Delta Air Lines travel voucher, the $75 change fee is waived and the travel voucher is issued for $150.
There may be times when Delta Air Lines offers special fares that are available for a limited period of time to which this refund rule does not apply. i.e. special internet or sale fares.
Another good reason to check the published rules.
Old Mar 1, 2000, 11:19 am

I just had this 'experience" with CO. I will get a "Travel Voucher" if I take my tickets to the airport (or ticket office).

CO put my flight in April on sale (again) for about $55 less than the previous sale price. When I phoned to inquire, I was told that I would get the "differance" ONLY if seat were available at the NEW sale price on the SAME flights that I had booked. I could NOT change anything (days, routing or times). Seats were available and so they will give me the differance in a voucher.

My neighbor next door, who bought tickets at the same time (he is staying a few days longer and has a different return date) could NOT get the 'differance" because one of his flights would "sold out" for the new sale.

------------------
"Free" without charge or cost, having no obligation.
Old Mar 1, 2000, 11:26 am
Original Poster

CanadianFlyer,

I was told that once before -- don't stand for it. At the time, I had tickets purchased in K class. The agent tells me that I am not eligible because there are no seats left in K class, and the fare, if I would purchase it today, would be significantly higher. I responded that there are seats in K class. They're the ones I'm holding. I was insistant, and asked that they check again with customer service. They issued the write down.

Simply put, if you are holding a ticket with a particular fare basis (e.g., L, K, H, etc.) and they lower the price for that fare basis, you should be entitled to the difference regardless of whether seats are available at that fare basis.

It is unfortunate that you have to go to the CTO or Airport. Perhaps because I purchased on their website, DL offered to mail mine to me.

[This message has been edited by A Delta CUSTOMER! (edited 03-01-2000).]
Old Mar 1, 2000, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
This works only if the new fare is a lower fare in the same fare class.

But if you are holding in one fare basis (say L) and the new lower fare comes out in a difference class (say, K) then you are out of luck, because you have to meet all the rules of the existing fare, including availability.
Old Mar 4, 2000, 2:02 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I hadn't read that new policy of DL's ... but it is very interesting. Note that it does NOT say you have to use the same booking class. For instance, that $500 could have been a K fare, no L fares were available, but if L fares do become available later you could change to the $350 L fare ticket. It does not say it has to be the same booking fare code, only that you must meet the conditions of the fare.
Old Mar 4, 2000, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
On Delta, and maybe others, if you have an electronic ticket, the voucher can be issued by phone. If you have a paper ticket, you have to take it to Delta to get the voucher- while the lower fare is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.