Wiki Posts
Search

United LAX-NYC: What do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2000, 2:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

United LAX-NYC: What do you prefer?

Should I take the 767-200 with an upgrade to business class or the 757 to Newark upgraded to first? How is business class on these "premium" flights? I've never taken one.

I'm ending up in midtown Manhattan and either way will arrive 4-5 hours before my show starts.
Old Feb 1, 2000, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a big fan of the 767 business class service. I would choose the 757 in first. Better service and maybe even the ice cream sundae cart.
Old Feb 1, 2000, 8:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Also consider that the 767 has very narrow BC seats (so they can stuff 6 in a row). The actual seat area (not including the armrest) is smaller than coach - and yes I did measure it. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 1, 2000, 10:03 pm

Programs: Lots
FYI, I've always encountered the sundae cart on lunch flights going EWR-LAX.
Old Feb 1, 2000, 11:09 pm
Commander Catcop

Traveling LION: Go for the 7-57 in First.

This is the flight I almost always try to get on not just for the desert cart (with Ben & Jerry's the best ice cream) but also the roomier, better seats and two of my Favorite F-A's Dennis and Balu (who has one of the most amazing accents I've ever heard.) Their service is among the best I've ever received.

OMNI: You WILL enjoy that show. The male lead has left but his replacement is equally good. I had a lot of fun with the show, it's the hottest ticket on Broadway at the moment.
Old Feb 2, 2000, 12:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks---seems unanimous!
Old Feb 2, 2000, 8:09 am

My question is: How does First in the 767 compare to the 757? Sounds almost the same?

[This message has been edited by EvergreenState (edited 02-02-2000).]
Old Feb 2, 2000, 8:12 am

Actually, the 757 has slightly less legroom than the 767-200 (38 inches versus 40). But, its not a big diff, and UA doesn't use 763s on that route.

The 757 seat is about 20.5 inches wide, where as the 767 seat is only about 19 inches wide.

I don't have too much experience in 757 First Class, but I asked the same question to Carfield a few weeks ago. Definitely better service on the 757...you get the pre-arrival snack cart if you take the morning flight (sundae cart for evening flight), and probably an additional choice of entree.
Old Feb 2, 2000, 8:44 am

Concerning UA's F Class service on its Boeing 767 fleet (3-class plane), UA's F Class has the luxurious sleeper seat with 60 inches of legroom and personal TV. The catering is even better than UAL's international flights. A full multi-course meal with nuts, appetizers (selection), soup, salad, sorbet, four choices of entrees, cheese and fruit, ice-cream, godiva chocolate and cookie prior to arrival. However, if you buy a Y class ticket, C class is the best that you can get... F Class is for those high yield business travelers, free tickets, or UAL employees.

------------------
Carfield
Menu Scavengers
Inflight food critics

Old Feb 2, 2000, 11:18 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Oh, I'm well aware that I won't be allowed in the employee cabin, Carfield. Well aware indeed.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm going to have to disagree with most of the crowd on this one. I've taken that flight many times and usually they have new seats. The new business class seat is better than the old 1st class on the 757. But I usually book business and upgrade to 1st which as Carfield says, is wonderful.

Even if I have to go to New Jersey, I'd rather fly to JFK and drive an extra 45 minutes.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 12:29 pm
Commander Catcop

Quiet Lion: please enjoy your adventures in First class, like the royal person you are!

Stimpy: I have another reason to respect you.
Your class, sense of style, traveling expertese... and being able to deal with JFK.
I would rather fly the biggest inferior airline than deal with that airport (less so with LGA.) So I salute you as well.
Old Feb 3, 2000, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
I must first say that I will never understand the disdain that gets heaped upon JFK! I fly in and out every week and far prefer it to EWR. Sure, LGA is a few minutes closer to Manhattan, but be sure to make a wish on the way there that there's no fog, mist, raindrops, snowflakes, ATC delays, and that the planets are all in alignment. I've never known an airport more prone to delays for no obvious reason whatsoever...

That said, I wanted to comment on transcon service. I can't speak for United, but I fly cross-country on AA every week and I much prefer the 767 service from JFK over the 757s to EWR. The business class seat on the 767 is much more comfortable and has greater pitch than the 1st class 757 seat. Also, service in business is better than your "regular" domestic 1st class. Better meals, more choices, more attention from F/As. I can confirm, though, that nothing domestically matches the 1st class service on the 3-class planes. It's definitely the way to travel!
Old Feb 3, 2000, 4:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Question

Well now I'm confused!
Old Feb 3, 2000, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
JFK is certainly unpleasant. But I'm only there for a few minutes as I dash out to a rental car bus or a taxi.

I'm on the plane for 5 hours. That's where I want the comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.