Cell modem connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell modem connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2000, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
Cell modem connections

I am interested in getting a cell phone service that provides internet connection. There is only one provider that offers it in my area and no one at their offices can give me any good information. I am interested in getting peoples opinion on whether or not they find connecting with their cell phones successful or not.

A few concerns:

When travelling in a car, do you lose the connection after driving a certain distance (like when you change towers)?

What is the typical speed that you connect with?

Are there any other things that bother you about the service?

I know a lot of these things will be based upon my modem, their towers and several other variables. I want a general consensus so I can decide whether to go with a company that offers internet connection. The one company that does provide this possibility has higher long distance and roaming rates. If connecting is typically a problem, then I would rather go with the more economical plan.

Thanks for the input,

Chris Moss
Old Jan 28, 2000, 9:14 am

Programs: Lots
A few years ago I used a regular Dual Mode Analag/CDMA phone to connect my 'puter to the net. Bought the $70 cable and just followed the instructions - Worked great. 9600bps connection, and it stayed that way for a 1.5 hour drive. The phone automatically switches into analog mode, so as long as you've got that coverage and a cellular modem, it should work.

There's also the new Sprint phones that have Web access et al. Haven't tried them yet myself, but friends say they work ok.
Old Jan 28, 2000, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
ChrisMoss7,

Are you looking for web access service directly from your cell phone or looking to connect to your current ISP from your lap top computer, via your cell phone?

I live in Los Angeles and don't know if the direct route has arrived here yet. I know the phones with web access is available in some European countries, but I don't know about here yet? If available here, I would love to get the service also.

An alternative I was thinking of is a modem adapter for my Nokia 5160 digital cell phone. I am on the AT&T one rate plan w/600 minutes per month and so my thought was to connect my computer to my phone so I could just dial up my regular ISP via my cell phone, rather than having to find a "regular phone" that I could plug my computer into. Since I have 600 minutes I wouldn't be so concerned about per minute charges for access time like at a lot of hotels etc. Also, I could dial up while waiting at the airport when I can't get to an Admirals Club. If anyone has the cell phone-to-computer modem connector or knows where I can get one, I would appreciate a pointer on where to go.

Whichever method you were inquiring about, I will be interested in reading others answers.

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 01-28-2000).]
Old Jan 28, 2000, 9:44 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Onedog, 3Com makes a cellular compatible PC-Card modem. It has a regular analog jack, as well as a special connector for your cell-phone cable. You have to buy the cellphone cable separately, but 3Com makes that also, one specifically for the 5100/6100 Nokias.
Old Jan 28, 2000, 1:19 pm

I use the new Motorola Timeport with SPrint PCS service, and access the web direct from the phone, or using the phone as a 14.4 modem with my laptop. The mobility of the latter combination is great, as it "severs" the need for lines; however, 14.4 is slow and they are increasing that speed soon. The reception and dropped calls has been minimal to date (I have used it in Michigan, Illinois, New York and California) but it does depend on signal strength and cell sites.
Old Jan 28, 2000, 1:20 pm

I use the new Motorola Timeport with Sprint PCS service, and access the web direct from the phone, or using the phone as a 14.4 modem with my laptop. The mobility of the latter combination is great, as it "severs" the need for lines; however, 14.4 is slow and they are increasing that speed soon. The reception and dropped calls has been minimal to date (I have used it in Michigan, Illinois, New York and California) but it does depend on signal strength and cell sites.
Old Jan 28, 2000, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
Onedog:I am looking for a cell phone to connect to my laptop.

Sprint is out of the question because they have only one tower in the state.
Old Jan 30, 2000, 11:29 am

Just a few thoughts:

Have you checked with other providers to find out when they might be offering internet connection capability? If it is going to be a while, and you need internet capability soon, then maybe you should go with the provider you mentioned. But, if you are going to be traveling quite a bit and the provider that you mentioned is a local provider and you do not have a nationwide plan, then it could end up costing you quite a bit of money for roaming and long distance. I don't know how soon you need the capabilities or how important it is that you have the capabilities right away, but if some other provider, with a nationwide plan, will be offering the capability soon, then you might want to wait to avoid high charges. Now, if you won't be leaving the area then it shouldn't be a problem to go with the provider you mentioned. Now remember, these are just my thoughts going off of the information you gave. I don't know your current situation so I could be way off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.