Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Universal Studios and Disneyland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2000, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Universal Studios and Disneyland

I've got some good friends going to LA and plan on visiting Disneyland and Universal Studios. I haven't been there for years and was hoping to have my flyertalk friends help me with advice...such as where to stay, what to avoid..etc.

In return, I'm a wealth of information about Singapore, Thailand, and Bali**

------------------
Take the road less travelled.
Old Jan 12, 2000, 7:07 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You could also take a little trip over to visit the latest addition, Legoland!!
Old Jan 12, 2000, 10:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Sinflyer

I recently stayed at the Hilton at Universal Studios and it was very nice and right at the Universal entrance (across the parking lot). You would probably stay the night prior, go to the park all day (lots to see and do), and then stay that night also. As for Disneyland there are so many affordable Hotels within walking distance. I would figure out which brand and visit the website and then reserve from there. Again Disneyland is a minimum of 1 but preferably 2 days in the park. Hope you have a great time, I know I always do.

Cheers Scott
Old Jan 12, 2000, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i agree with scott on the universal city hilton; it's a good hotel - and if you get upgraded accommodations, you'll be able to enjoy one of the better concierge level happy hour buffets - this ain't no cheese and cracker thing, they generally put out good, substantial food.

and if your purpose is to go to universal studios, you can't beat the location. there is a shearaton (i think) as well in that same area. both are within walking distance of the park, although a shuttle bus is provided. if you do walk, the easiest way is to cross the street at the end of the hilton entrance, enter the universal studios parking garage, and then take the very long escalator up the hill.

another universal studios tip: go to the far end of the park (where the jurassic park and ET attractions are) when they first open at 10 AM or so ...and then work your way back to the front. you'll save several hours of waiting time in peak season because most people explore the front of the park when they first get there and work their way through. (this strategy applies to all amusement parks, of course.)

[This message has been edited by UK Stages (edited 01-12-2000).]
Old Jan 12, 2000, 2:00 pm

Try to get your hands on a blue VIP pass for Universal Studios. If you don't know anyone, you can go to the will call booth and just ask. I had one of those this past summer and it was great!!!!!! We could skip all of the lines, but only once.

And, the studio backlot tour is a must, whether it is your first or 50th time.
Old Jan 12, 2000, 4:38 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
For Disneyland, you can get a five-day passport for the price of two days. This is a deal because it allows you to take your time. They also allow you to get in early one of the days, but since most of the rides are still closed, it is not a real benefit.

------------------

The only difference between ordinary service and extraordinary service is a little EXTRA.

-- Bob

Old Jan 12, 2000, 4:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
It seems there is a Marriott nearby as well.
Did not stay there but had a meeting in it a couple of years ago. Nice
Old Jan 13, 2000, 12:42 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I think I heard somewhere that Disneyland has a bronze statue of PremEx.
Old Jan 13, 2000, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More like a Bronx Cheer.
Old Jan 15, 2000, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Several years ago we stayed at the Sheraton and the room rate included two three-day passes to Universal Studios. They have a free shuttle bus that runs every 15 minutes or so (at least in the summer), but you can walk it in 7 or 8 minutes.
You can also visit Disney.com and plan your trip to Disneyland online. You can get deals which include tickets, hotels, etc. Check it out. Have fun.
Old Jan 15, 2000, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Last I knew you could pre-purchase your tickets for Disneyland at your local Disney store so to save yourself from waiting in the ticket lines at the park.

Don't know if your friends have little ones or not, but if they do, Disneyland allows you to do "baby swaps" on their more turbulent and/or scary rides and attractions to avoid going through the lines twice. You all wait in line, then when you get to the front, one adult waits with the little ones, while the other adult rides. When that ride is over, the adult who's been waiting on the side gets on the next ride without going through the line again. It works great.
Old Jan 15, 2000, 2:35 pm
Commander Catcop

I was to Disneyland in December and had a wonderful time (my first Disney visit in 27 years) My last visit to a Disney Park was in Orlando in 1972... need to get back.

At Disneyworld: I saw this statue near the main entrance. Don't think it was Walt. It MUST have been you PremEx... it was of a happy, smiling, good looking dude!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 01-15-2000).]
Old Jan 16, 2000, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Catman,

If that statue was of our friend PremEx, then you are mistaken as it has to be standing at the entrance of the WineCellar (guarding Wingless) at the Disneyland Hotel.
Old Jan 16, 2000, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I love starting trouble.
Old Jan 17, 2000, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. It has helped, since I know so little about these parks. When I was in school in LA, just a few minutes from Disneyland, I didn't go once.
It is a foreign place made for foreigners. Singaporeans only go to Disnleyland and Vegas..that is all.
What a waste. I prefer La Jolla, Yosemite, and Napa.

------------------
Take the road less travelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.