Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York City Restaurant Reviews

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2000, 9:40 am
Original Poster

New York City Restaurant Reviews

Steve Shaw, an attorney in Manhattan, has created a website for restaurant reviews and
food suggestions in NYC. The web address is http://www.shaw-review.com/

Below is an excerpt from the site that deals with New York Steakhouses.

Steak, for some reason, tends to be better outside Manhattan. My favorite steak anywhere is at Peter Luger in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, but I have recently enjoyed steaks of near-equivalent quality in far superior surroundings in Westchester, at Flames, and in Queens, at Christos Hasapo Taverna. After several follow-up visits to both places, I am willing to vouch for their consistency. Although neither is perfect, I can recommend both as pleasant alternatives to the headache of a meal at Peter Luger.

When leaving Manhattan seems like too big a schlep, I go to my favorite local steakhouse: Sparks, in Midtown Manhattan.

My first choice for a real taste of Old New York is The Old Homestead, in the Meat Packing District.

If, however, you want to go out with a group of men and women, not all of whom plan to eat
steak and not all of whom relish a party atmosphere, then the Post House, on the Upper East Side, is the hands-down winner.

I am not impressed with Morton's, The Palm, Michael Jordan's or Smith & Wollensky, and
believe Gallagher's (a long-time favorite) has suffered considerable backsliding. I like the great value at Cité, but I do not think the steak is on par with that of the top places.

After surfing the site, I don't see a review for the River Café. Are they still in business? I've been there 3 times, twice for lunch & once for dinner, and the food was excellent!

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old Jan 10, 2000, 10:45 am
geo1004

Oh Catman??? Maybe this site could be of use for planning the NYC Gathering in March...

Old Jan 10, 2000, 11:14 am
Commander Catcop

Shadow, thanks for the great site.

I am thinking steak for the big dinner, but a place that also has non-beef alternatives.

Peter Lugar's is a great place BUT:

1. THey are out of the way in Brooklyn )and I"m a bit leary about taking people there late at night
2. You can't earn miles: they only take cash.

I think he was a bit too critical of Smith & Wollensky's. I really like the place (if it's a bit crowded.) I'm glad that RUdi brought me there and reignated my love for steaks besides Ruth's Chris (which I notice was NOT reviewed?)

Old Jan 10, 2000, 11:23 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
whatever the best place for steak in Manhattan may be ... I think that at Catman's get-together there is only one choice, and that's HIS Ruth Christie's ... I even consider to have (but not exclusevile) a Pepsi ...
Old Jan 10, 2000, 11:25 am
Original Member

Yup Rudi, you got it right. Gotta be Ruth's Chris for the Cat Bash.
Old Jan 10, 2000, 1:43 pm
geo1004

You will get no from me.

I am all at the prospect of the Cat's Ruth's Chris being "ground zero" for the NYC gathering!!!

(although the Post House might be an option for both steak & non-flesh eaters)

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 01-10-2000).]

Old Jan 10, 2000, 4:34 pm
Commander Catcop

I have NOT been to the Post House (maybe I should dine there as well before finalizing on a restaurant.) I promise to have a decision way before the get together (after we all take a vote.)

What I was trying to do is give you all a unique, NYC restaurant experience. I am surprised some of you want Ruth's Chris (and Rudi lots of PAWS and s for agreeing to drink Pepsi. I got into fights with my last girlfriend over this!)

One thing I do plan to propose is deli lunch, probably 2nd avenue Deli, asking for "Meg's Table" (and no, there will be no sideshow there.)
Old Jan 10, 2000, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Mike Mahoney's NYC restraunt review and recommendations for 2000...

Sparks Steakhouse at 210 East 46th Street between 2nd and 3rd avenues about mid block/south side(can I be more specific for directions?) on the east side of Manhattan is the place for steaks! Look them up next time your in the neighborhood or in the city. And they do take credit cards SO you can earn those frequent flyer miles too... TRUST me on this one folks. The food there is CONSISTANTLY great!

For GREAT Dim Sum:

HSF in NYC's Chinatown between Bowery and Canal Streets....

Just my five cents worth.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKE MAHONEY (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old Jan 10, 2000, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Well, well, isn't all this ground we have covered before? But I guess I have as much right to repeat myself as the next FT'er.

Ol' Mr. Smith, the attorney, must not have made a very exhaustive search of Manhattan steak houses if he doesn't even mention Pen & Pencil or Ben Benson's. I agree with him about the Old Homestead, but not about some of the others. And I hope he didn't mean to imply a "party atmosphere" prevails at the Old Homestead... that's hardly the case. The other reviews I've read agree with Smith re Michael Jordan's... plus they allow cigars there, so Catman and a few others can try it, if they wish, but without me! (BTW, it's in Grand Central Station.)

Also, as a lifelong resident of Manhattan, I learned a long time ago that bridges and tunnels are necessary for travel to airports, beaches, baseball stadiums, and racetracks, not to dinner. (Notwithstanding my agreement with Boomer regarding Peter Luger's, which remains in effect.)

For the purpose of the FF weekend/St. Patrick's Day steak dinner, Ruth's Chris, or anyplace selected by Catman (excepting Tweetybird's friend's place mentioned above) is fine by me.

The 2nd Ave. Deli is one of the few unique NYC dining experiences left... and should definitely be part of the itinerary. I haven't been there in a couple of years, and I want to check if poor Abe Lebewohl's brother (the owner) remembers my father, who sold them insurance in 1958.

One last thing... Catman: the Meg Ryan scene in "Crossing Delancey" was at Katz' Deli. (But Shadow knew I would point that out.) We can, however, eat in the "Molly Picon Room"!
Old Jan 10, 2000, 9:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'll give the nod to Second Avenue Deli any day. A trip to NYC is just not complete without a visit there. Steak is okay, too, but dim sum would really be a treat since there's really no good dim sum where I live.

River Cafe is definitely on my list of must-chow venues, but at $70 fixe prix for dinner, will have to wait for another decade.

What about Wild Blue in the WTC? It's Zagat rating for steakhouses is second only to Peter Lugers and the food rating is par with Sparks, The Palm and the Post House. It has the added benefit of offering other New American cuisine (read options for non-meat eaters).
Old Jan 10, 2000, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
I personally think Wild Blue is over-rated for the food. But it is definitely a nice view. Just don't go on a really sunny day for lunch, the glare is horrible.

Old Jan 12, 2000, 2:05 pm

Catman, for your info The Post House has the same owner as Smith's and Mahoney and Porcelli. Very good food but I am partial to the original Palm.

------------------
speedbird001

Old Jan 12, 2000, 8:00 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the link Pete. It makes for interesting reading. Yet I suspect you and I and many other FT'ers are very much like Steve- albeit minus the law degree and personal website!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.