Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa waiver travel to US pitfall

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2000, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Visa waiver travel to US pitfall

A lot of people are getting caught on this minor, but crucial issue.

British passport holders are entitled to visa-free travel to the US if they can meet a few conditions (return ticket, <90 day stay).

HOWEVER, if the passport says anything other than 'British Citizen' for nationality, this does not apply. I saw people turned away from Delta flights over the New Year, as their passports said 'British Subject.'

Some of these people were heading for cruises, and probably lost a bunch of money.

I got the impression that this happens a lot, and that they can sometimes get a waiver out of the embassy to transport the person, but the embassy was closed over the holiday.

INS and embassy websites have the correct details, but the Delta in-flight magazine (in the section oh how to fill out forms) does not.
Old Jan 4, 2000, 1:42 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
All EU-nationality-passports PLUS some others (like SWISS passports too) are under the VISA waiver program.

Now the question goes to our British friends: may be the definition 'British subject' shows that the holder is not a from a (british) EU-member country?
Old Jan 4, 2000, 5:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I am from a non EU country but my British (EU) Passport shows me as a British Citizen (which I am).

Maybe my daughter's British Passport when she gets one (she is now on mine) would show her as a British Subject as she was not born in UK.
Old Jan 4, 2000, 3:29 pm

Rudi, my understanding is that 'British Citizenship' gives you the right to reside and work in the United Kingdom. Holding the status of a British Subject, British Dependant Territories Citizen, British National (Overseas) or British Protected Person does not.

At least that's what I seem to remember it saying in my old passport.

BlondeBomber, you may want to check this link at the UK Passport Agency's site:
http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/ukpass12.htm

This page actually confirms Wandering Lion's suspicions over visa requirements from British Subjects.

------------------
Mark
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." - Dr Martin Luther King Jr

[This message has been edited by MarkB (edited 01-04-2000).]
Old Jan 4, 2000, 3:31 pm

Just checked. Says the same in the EU model British passport.

------------------
Mark
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." - Dr Martin Luther King Jr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.