Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian Grammar Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 1999, 12:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Hawaiian Grammar Question

I could sure use some advice from you gurus on things Hawaiian.

To cut to the chase, I was talking with a friend who's going to the islands next year and they were studying up on customs, places and pronunciation of Hawaiian words. Seems according to their rules of grammar, Hawaii *should* be pronounced "Hava-ii" and they proceeded to say it that way.

I seem to remember from our time there, that (1)while this IS techinically correct, it is (2) considered an affectation for mainlanders to actually pronounce Hawaii that way.

However, it's been long enough that I'm not sure about either (1) or (2) above.

Can some of our experts out there help us out so my friends don't sound like a bunch of yokels when they visit? They are truly not trying to be hoity-toity, but are trying, out of respect, to be appreciative guests.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 1999, 6:00 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
As a former resident and graduate of the University of Hawaii [co-champs of the WAC and the best one year turn around in Division I NCAA history ] I'll give you my experience(s).

Both (1) and (2) are correct. The .......ization of the Hawaiian language began with Capt Cook's crew and continues to this day. While many of us know that Lanai is properly pronounced La-NYE-e, the accepted practice is La-NYE. You friends will be just as welcome whether they follow common custom or the traditional custom of pronunciation.

As a [large] Hawaiian kid told me one day in a Hawaiian history class: "No matter what bruddar, you still Haole"...

Old Dec 12, 1999, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The oldest Hawaiian resident I know is 94, and she speaks mostly Japanese. About 40% of the residents speak "pidgin" (don't ask), and it is about as universal a language there is on most islands.

Only the mega-moused TV news talking-heads speak words such as "la-nie-E", "ha-vay-E" etc. Usually this stops about 630 PM each night (or sooner if you don't turn on the TV). Proper mainland words are always acceptable and proper as is Visa, Master Card, Amex or Diners Card.

If your friends are from a foreign country, it is best not use the airport currency booths as they give very poor rates. Hotel rates are poor also. Best rates are given by a BANK OWNED (ie Bank of Hawaii etc) ATM. Some are in the airport. Hawaii has many privately owned ATM machines usually in Longs, ABC stores or the smaller supermarkets, they usually do not state a bank name and these give much poorer rates.
Old Dec 13, 1999, 5:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks, onefreeman and MisterNice. Your advice is appreciated and I'll pass it on.

Mahalo, y'all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.