Reload this Page >

US Customs check on EXIT ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Customs check on EXIT ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 1999, 5:04 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Bodie:
Most likely they were looking for someone taking large amounts of money out of the country to avoid taxes. Legally you can only take $10,000 out with you, unless you decalre it. A few years ago at EWR there was an article in the local paper of them stopping and questioning people.
Old Nov 18, 1999, 5:04 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Bodie:
Most likely they were looking for someone taking large amounts of money out of the country to avoid taxes. Legally you can only take $10,000 out with you, unless you decalre it. A few years ago at EWR there was an article in the local paper of them stopping and questioning people.
Old Nov 18, 1999, 8:35 pm

According to the gate agent in Toronto (YYZ), once you pass through customs you are on US 'soil'.

Seems logical. Just like embassies in foreign countries.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Nov 19, 1999, 1:11 am
Original Member

Hammertoad:
You were given incorrect info. The US INS/Customs are on Canadian territory. The proof is in what happens if you refuse to let them inspect your luggage. In the US, they would mostly likely use that as reasonable grounds to search and possibly arrest you. In a Canadian airport, the only option they have is to refuse you entry. In fact, they are obliged to offer you this option. The consequence of course, is that you'll be flagged as having been denied entry, pretty much removing any chance of you ever entering the US again. And BTW, there's usually a mountie nearby, who'd probably be interested in you refusing to have your luggage examined.

Nevertheless, clearing US formalities in Canada makes landing in the US much quicker and easier, especially if you are making a connection, which is very common. As noted earlier, it also allows for direct flights to airports that wouldn't normally allow international arrivals, due to customs limitations.

As for exit checks, I get them fairly regularly, both by air and by car, and once by ferry. It's happened in BC, ON, somewhere between SK and MT a long time ago, and between Miami and Panama. Each time they wanted to know if I had more than $10,000 (I wish!), but sometimes they ask other questions as well. I've also been asked this question once in a while upon entering the US.

[This message has been edited by KenHamer (edited 11-19-1999).]
Old Nov 19, 1999, 8:35 pm

Yes, but is the Mountie that is standing nearby on a horse?

But seriously, flying YVR-SEA it is a serious benefit to clear customs in YVR, especially if you are flying UA. You get to arrive at the N satellite, instead of arriving at the S satellite, checking bags, and switching trains twice (ugh). I recently cleared customs in SEA for the first time (from NRT). For a small (size-wise) airport, you sure have to do a lot of maneuvering. There were customs agents asking people questions while they were standing around at the baggage claim, as well. I had to answer questions of three agents before I could get my bag out "what KIND of conference were you attending?"... I realize they are attempting to keep us all safe, but it was certainly much worse than I have experienced the last few times in Chicago. No dogs, though.

[This message has been edited by usoftie (edited 11-22-1999).]
Old Nov 20, 1999, 7:41 am
Original Member

several unrelated notes...

1. At SEA after the PIP noticed that AS flights from Victoria BC apparently aren't pre-cleared--they arrive at the S. Satellite.

2. I think at YOW pre-clearing only has started recently--I recall seeing AC planes at T5 in ORD from there 2 or so years ago.

3. I think that Shannon Ireland also pre-clears like the major Canada airports.

4. I got into a little trouble one time asking (strictly out of curiosity) whether the immigration inspector at YYZ was a US citizen. I wonder about that sometimes--could a resident alien block a citizen from returning to the USA?

or is it like at the supermarket when you have wine and the checker is 19 years old--they call over the citizen to say "you can't come in"
jl

[This message has been edited by jamiel (edited 11-20-1999).]
Old Nov 21, 1999, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
I guess coincidentally, I have seen this at DTW on several occasions departing for AMS. I have also noticed that they ask foreign (mostly) passengers if they are carrying currency in excess of $ 10K. MAybe some drug thing going on??
Old Nov 22, 1999, 11:56 pm
In Memoriam

Two more related notes:

1.) Anybody flying back to the USA from the Montréal FÁQ should add YUL to their list of Canadian airports where you clear U.S. customs before departure.

2.) And add me to the list of people who've been to La Paz, at least to its airport - my 1972 flight to Asunción, Paraguay went through there!
Old Nov 23, 1999, 7:49 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Flying YVR-SEA on sunday I decided to do some investigative reporting at YVR about this phenominon after reading the thread. Asked three people and got three different answers:

According to the US Customs agent, passing the customs area was like entering any international departure area (he compared it to LHR). You are still under local law. (BTW, I paid for asking my question with a prolonged set of questions about my time in Canada, rather than the perfunctory passport stamp)

According to the guy who I had to bribe in order to get out of the country (they called it an "Airport Improvement Fee," but a rose by any other name...) he thought that US and FAA rules applied beyond the customs/immigration area.

According to the lady in the Maple Leaf/RCC, there was joint jurisdiction.

I guess you can choose whichever story you like best
Old Nov 23, 1999, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Jamiel -

Once I had my INSPASS card done at YYZ (was I sorry to see that expire-the only good photo ID picture I've ever had) and while I was waiting through the interminable computer processing delay for the INSPASS system, I was chatting w/ the Customs agent.

She said they are US citizens who (nearly all) live in the US-at least for the YYZ station. I didn't think to ask what happens at stations further away from the US. I would assume they must still be US citizens, even if they live in Canada - like the consular staff in embassy/consulate posts abroad.

My guess is that Canadian air regulations still apply even though you are on the airside "in" the United States. Having dealt with Canadian regulators in other areas, I can't imagine Transport Canada would relinquish its authority at a Canadian airport. It's like the sterile areas you sometimes find in the United States, e.g., IAD - even though you haven't "entered" the United States when making a connection for immigrations purposes, I would bet almost any amount of money that IAD's finest would be right there to arrest you if you refused to put that cigarette out in a no-smoking zone.

Greg
Old Nov 23, 1999, 7:09 pm

us customs facilities also exist in the airport in dublin, ireland. once upon a time, i'm sure it was a much overutilized route than it is now.
Old Nov 25, 1999, 1:56 am
Original Member

I wrote a short article about the U.S. customs. I will try to dig it up and post it. Until I post my article, I have one comment: The U.S. customs is violating the Constitution by conducting unreasonable searches without probable cause.
Old Nov 25, 1999, 4:29 am
Original Member

A US government authority impinging on civil rights by making unreasonable demands. Who would have thought it?

(Trading with the enemy acts, tax returns for foreign residents, customs form on entry breaching international convenitons, etc. etc.)

Happy Holidays.
Old Nov 26, 1999, 5:50 am
Suspended

Doesnt seem too many of you fly starting from Jrk to Europe. Its been a common sighting for years now before you get onto the actual jetway,US customs agents, there main concern is taking more than one is allowed in cash and negotiable paper. Havnt been stopped but then I only wish I had that prob.Ive see them take people away who said they were carrying less than said they were and had over the 10,000 limit.
Old Nov 26, 1999, 5:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
Winnipeg (YWG) and Edmonton (YEG) also do US preclearance--there are I believe 14 Canadian airports that do. The only countries with which the US has that treaty are Canada and Ireland--it is used at Shannon and Dublin, and maybe also at Cork.

FWIW, the food sources and newsstands past preclearance at YYZ and YEG deal strictly in Canadian currency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.