Grand Wailea Resort Maui

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 1999, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Grand Wailea Resort Maui

Has anyone stayed at this place? I received an invitation to stay there for $698 for 6 days which sounds pretty good since rack rate is $400.

It also includes the Grande Spa treatment and a $100 dining credit. No blackout dates either? Pretty good if you ask me.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:18 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Never, but I've heard great things about this place (formerly Grand Hyatt in or near Kihei?) and at that rate I'd be packing my bags for sure! You can easily spend $500./night here and with your dining credit it's like buying one night and getting five nights free!
Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:31 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
That's an incredible deal! The hotel is fabulous. Pool has a rope swing, slides and a water elevator, which you sit on and then get floated up to the top level of the pool.

Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that the daily costs of running the place are greater than the potential income if all rooms are booked.

For a brief time they were a Hyatt and the 50% UA coupons worked there. Then they offered a deal where you paid $1000 refundable deposit up front and in exchange received half-off room rates. You also had to do some surveys for them. Those are the only deals I've ever heard of for this hotel, so what you've been offered is amazing!! (I'm sooo jealous!)

Be sure to eat at the Hailiimaile General Store in Upcountry. It's terrific. Avalon in Lahaina is good too.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 12:54 pm
E

Letiole has it right! The Hailiimaile General Store is a "hidden gem" of a restaurant, don't miss it. How fresh is the seafood there? Well, the waitress told us that one of the fish specials that day would be delayed because the boat had not come in from the ocean yet

Also located at the Wailea Resort are several fabulous golf courses, and right out behind the hotel are great areas for spotting sea turtles while snorkeling and/or scuba diving.

Go for it!!!

[This message has been edited by E (edited 11-15-1999).]
Old Nov 15, 1999, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What I want to know is, how do I get the same offer you did?!! Was it a direct mail from the resort or offered in conjunction with a tour operator?
Old Nov 15, 1999, 4:24 pm

This is the most incredible resort I have ever seen ! I would jump on this offer if I were you.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WOW!!! Some people get all the luck. Grab it quick whether it is for 1 or pp for 2. Rooms typically go for $300+ for this fantastic place. The art collection alone was $14MM and much of it (Boteros) surrounds the fantastic central bar. The drinks are weak and pricy, but the ambiance is outta this world.

Next time I may doggy bag a Stoly and sip it there. Wine is $6.50+ and is ok. Get the fruit/cheese/nut (brie, cheddar and blue) bar pupus. That and a shrimp cocktail will make a great snack/meal. The spa treatment alone is $89 as I remember.

Closeby is Joe's in Makena. This restaurant is run by Joe Gannon (his wife Bev runs Hallimali Genl Store), it overlooks the tennis courts at Makena and features many of Bev's recipes in a closer and quieter restaurant (but not that quiet). Be sure to take in the nice bubbly Sunday brunch at the nearby Maui Prince. Another reasonable nearby restaurant with a fantastic sunset view is Bella Rosa (I think) in the Diamond Resort. Wow, a million-mile view and cheap too by Maui standards.

Hallimali Genl Store was having 1/2 price entrees on Mondays earlier this month for all diners.
Old Nov 16, 1999, 10:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I would suggest you reread the offer, it sound way too good to be true.
Old Nov 17, 1999, 4:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
That offer sounds way too good to be true. The Spa service alone would be worth over $100. I went to the Grand Wailea Spa in August and it was out of this world. The pools at the hotel are amazing. They have this one water ride where you sit in this volcano like structure. Then you are rotated up to the top while water is sprayed on you.

The massage therapist told me that the hotel had fallen into ill repair. However, after the Japanese owner sold it, the new owner put in a lot of money to get the hotel back up to luxury standards. If the offer is real, I highly recommend that you go for it.
Old Nov 17, 1999, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never ever seen anything in bad repair there during the past 6 years. The hotel was quietly sold about 6-8 months ago for an undisclosed price. I have seen little in the way of new or improved items.....they just are not needed. It drips and oozes luxury.

One other item, when it was sold, all wage ( ie union) employees were told they were dismissed, but they could re-apply for their positions. The local pols went crazy. After it was all over, the rumors were approx 80-90% were rehired. Maybe this was the reason for the ill repair talk.

My only suggestion would be to widen the spaces in the parking garage, and reposition the standpipe that sticks out about 2 ft into the walkway on floor 2 of the parking garage.
Old Nov 17, 1999, 6:14 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Please share some details on how you received this offer. Is there a coupon code or offer number?
Old Nov 17, 1999, 8:54 pm
Original Member

I, too would jump at the offer to stay at the Grand Wailea again. I have stayed there twice and loved it! I got engaged there my first trip when it was a Grand Hyatt...
Old Nov 19, 1999, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The offer is legit and it does have codes which I was asked to read off. You can try 800-272-8186 and see where it gets you.

However, the contractor running the deal did me wrong. He said that of the days in February that I wanted, only the first 4 were available. I said hold them for me and put me on the waiting list for the other two.

After hearing the wonderful responses on this thread I decided that even for 4 days, $698 was a good deal. I called him back and guess what. He didn't hold the days for me and they are now sold.

I called the hotel to see if they could do anything about it. I talked to a nice salesperson who couldn't help me, but she transfered me to the reservations manager whose voice mail I got. We'll see if I get a response.
Old Nov 19, 1999, 1:32 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pretty darn weird! Hope it works out for you.
Old Nov 21, 1999, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I worked the phone, found out that the Grand Wailea is owned by KSL Resorts (which operates upscale golf resorts primarily), and then escalated my beef to someone who straightened things out for me (and straightened out the guy who screwed things up).

So I should receive my confirmation letter in the mail in a week or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.