Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

No Padding in the Seats

No Padding in the Seats

Old Nov 3, 1999, 2:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

No Padding in the Seats

Following up on the seat pitch threads, is it just me, or is there a lot less padding in the seat cushions themselves than there was about 20 years ago when I started flying a lot? Seems to me that there used to be at least a couple of inches of foam below you when you sat on those seats in coach 15 or 20 years ago, but there seems like there is about 1/2 inch of foam there now, just barely covering the seat. They seem hard as sitting on rocks for long flights. I have felt this way on US, DL, UA, and TW. Maybe they think if they squeeze the foam out of the back and bottom of the seat cushion, they can get an extra inch or a half out of the seat pitch. Anyone else?
Old Nov 3, 1999, 7:23 pm

Djlawman, I couldn't agree with you more. I concur with your observations one hundred percent. I do not care for these "new generation lite" seats.

What ever happened to the deep, sunken sofa-like comfort seating of years gone bye??? Ah, for the good ol' days!
Old Nov 4, 1999, 5:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
This seems to be the case in all modes of transportation -- including personal autos -- hard seats. Maybe they don't want us falling asleep.
Old Nov 4, 1999, 5:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Absolutely concur! It's not just the sitting, which is a bit more uncomfortable, but the knuckles in my back when the pax behind me grabs a magazine or something from the "pouch"! God forbid you if you're trying to sleep, no less relax or work!
Old Nov 4, 1999, 6:42 am

I've noticed it, especially in CRJ's. In those planes, the window seats seem harder than the aisles, FWIW.

Most of the time I fly Delta who across the board seems to have some of the most run down airplane interiors, even in FC. Their seats may have had padding a long time ago, but years of constant use have crushed the bottom cushion padding to death. I can almost live with that, though. What kills me though is their low-back style seats. Impossible for anyone over 5'6" to sleep in.

JB
Old Nov 4, 1999, 7:33 am

I agree that the seat backs over the last few years have become stiff, thinner and more uncomfortable. Some of this might have to do with FAA regulations for 16G force crashworthiness but I suspect that the thinner seatbacks allow the airlines to squeeze in an addditional row.
Old Nov 4, 1999, 1:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Fire/smoke hazard? Not sure if that's why but it would make sense...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.