Wiki Posts
Search

4 hour stopover in Helsinki

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 1999, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
4 hour stopover in Helsinki

I have a 4 hour stopover in Helsinki. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I should do? I would hate to sit in the airport the whole time!
Old Nov 3, 1999, 4:24 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
in the international terminal, at the SAS-lounge, there are two (free access) Internet terminals for FlyerTalk-trip-reports!

the bus (FinMarks 25) to downtown leaves every 15 minutes and takes 25'. Final stop is in the heart of downtown Helsinki, at the main train station. from there you can walk old Helsinki.
Old Nov 3, 1999, 7:44 am
In Memoriam

Sunrise this time of year is about 1000 and

it is dark by 1500. You would be cutting it close if you go downtown.
Old Nov 3, 1999, 7:50 am

I will also be in Helsinki for most of a Sunday on my oneworld 100k trek. I am considering spending the night at one of the airport hotels because I get in so late on Saturday night. That gives me most of Sunday to check out the area. Any suggestions for hotels and interesting experiences, sauna, etc?
Old Nov 3, 1999, 9:27 am

trams #3T & 3D(orB) provide the recommended tour of the city. obviously, there's no tour guide, but it covers the whole city. takes about an hour. also, there's a nice sleek bar(6th floor) at stockman's dept store which is on mannerheimintie (the main drag), a block away from the train station. stockman's also has three restaurants which are usually mobbed on sat., but have really nice food(especially for a dept store).
the modern art museum is also only 5 min away, slightly behind the main station.

best hotel value is the ramada presidentii, a major hotel in town, that offers the entertainment book 50% off rate for 480 FIM ($85-90US). once again, very close to the station. don't stay at the airport, its sooo deserted out there. bars & club stay open until 3 or 4. a cab from vantaa costs about 100 FIM (less than $20US). sleep in the morning, because as nathan says, they're ain't much daylight now anyway.

as for free net access, it is also available at the finnair/1world lounge.

[This message has been edited by lonman (edited 11-03-1999).]
Old Nov 3, 1999, 8:50 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Thanks for this infor, I have 2.5 hours there, so guess even a tram tour is out of the question... flyer talk on free internet it is then. Anyone else hogging those terminals will be in trouble !
Old Nov 4, 1999, 7:54 am

The weekend internet fares are out for next weekend when I'll be transiting Helsinki Vaanta on my oneworld 100k trek. Radisson SAS has 3 hotels on offer there for that night and I'm wondering which is preferred. The Royal, Plaza or Hesperia? All are the same price. Which has the best sauna/fitness center setup?

Also, I'm due to arrive in very late in the evening, around midnight saturday on a Finnair flight from Tampere (TMP). What are my transportation options into the city at that time? I understand there is a Finnair bus, as well as trams, buses, taxis, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.