Driving in Manhattan--For the First Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving in Manhattan--For the First Time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 1999, 2:29 am
In Memoriam

Growing up in NJ just outside NYC, my mom always hated riding shotgun with Dad in the city, and therefore NEVER drove in the city herself...until meeting visiting relatives at JFK forced her into it. She discovered (like I suspect underlies Punki's experience) that most of the terror as a passenger comes from knowing that you're not in control. Granted, even as a driver you're probably not really in control (all those other crazy drivers), but at least you think you are and driving was no big deal after that (though she still hated riding as a passenger).
Old Oct 28, 1999, 9:27 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Having gone to college on Long Island, I've had the pleasure of driving in NYC a few times, and I found it to be not as bad as you would think ...

baobab ~ I don't know where you're seeing all these "shiny new cabs" ... I've seen a few NYC cabs that were less than shiny and undented. That does bring up an interesting point though ...

NYC taxi laws have age and mileage limits on their cabs that are very strict (something like 3 years and 150,000 miles, I don't remember exactly). Not only that, but you can also only use approved types of vehicles as cabs (which until recently were only Crown Vics and the now defunct Caprice Classic, but they recently added the Honda Odyssey minivan and Ford Explorer).

You come to New Orleans on the other hand ... oh boy, the cabs here are an adventure. They are on average 15 years old or so ... and they can be just about anything ... from Cadillacs to minivans.

In the middle you have cities like San Anotonio, where you can use various types of vehicles (the cab I got when I was there was a very nice Buick Park Avenue) but they have to be less than a certain age (It was something like six or seven years old).
Old Oct 28, 1999, 12:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Oh babobab, Joe was laughing his head off when I told him how you suggested picking a taxi in Boston.

I hadn't really been terrified of driving in Manhattan, just cautious, but now Boston is a different story. Those drivers really are crazy.

Old Oct 28, 1999, 5:30 pm

baobob:
Good ole' Boston, where the Red light is only a suggestion...

Actually, you just apply the three car rule and you're OK. (Wait for three cars to run the red light before pulling out into the intersection).

On my THIRD time behind the wheel, my dad took me on the Southeast Distressway (I-93). It probably took 10 years off my life. However I will say that after learning to drive in Boston, I fear nothing.

But you are right - I go to other cities and marvel at the (1) organization, (2) civility, (3) compliance with traffic laws and (4) ability to get where you need to go relatively quickly.

I now live in the western part of Mass. When I travel home to visit my mom, my wife just closes her eyes when we cross the DMZ (Route 128).

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

Old Oct 28, 1999, 7:14 pm
Original Member

Jon, you have to be careful of the three-car rule: my experience is that *at least* three cars will go through any given red light. It's the fourth one that might hit you...

Funny thing is, when I moved to Boston from abroad, despite a perfectly functional foreign licence with which I was allowed to drive, I had to (by law) acquire a Massachusetts licence, for which I was required to do both a written test and a road test. What a joke - no one in Boston pays the slightest heed to the Highway Code, so the effective lesson was: "these are all of the rules which you are now expected to studiously ignore". My road test, FYI, consisted of driving around the RMV parking lot and stopping for a chat with the very nice policeman who was "testing" me - out of sight of those who really were being tested, of course... I think I paid $65 for the privilege.

Punki - Boston has a filter for all the poor lost souls who are visiting and think that they can drive there. It's called "The Airport U-turn" - if you can negotiate your way from the rental car centres at Logan to the downtown tunnel, you are ready to take on Boston traffic. If not, you are stuck in an infinite circle of frenzied traffic... one of Dante's hellish circles, perhaps.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 1:17 am

Did someone mention driving in Boston? This is one of my favorite places to drive. It reminds me of a trip to Boston one of my co-workers took a few years ago.

My co-worker had a training class in one of the western suburbs of Boston and had some extra time after his class finished before his flight later that evening. He decided to take the scenic route to the airport. His definition of scenic route meant no "expressways”. I think he experienced all of the pleasures of driving in Boston that night - traffic jams, seeing where you want to go but not being able to get there without going blocks or miles out of your way, getting lost several times using the car rental map, trying to follow signs that are missing, and drivers who follow all of the rules.

Needless to say he was quite frazzled upon finally arriving at the airport and was just in time, to miss the flight. The agent told him that this was the latest departure for this airline but "if you hurry, you can catch a flight on another airline at one of the other terminals". He went to the other terminal to catch this flight and upon arriving, he soon discovered that the agent had sent him to the wrong terminal. He then went to the correct terminal and found he was just in time, to miss the flight. He talked to the agent there and was told "if you hurry, you can catch a flight on another airline at one of the other terminals". You guessed it, it was the same terminal that he was just mistakenly sent to. He went back to this terminal and was just in time, to miss the flight.

Having no more flight options for the evening, he stayed at an airport hotel which, after staying there, he did not add to his list of places to stay. He called his wife and I imagine, having been in similar situations, the conversation started with "guess what..." with a response of "you did what..." followed by a lecture. In the morning, he went to the airport to catch the first flight out on the original airline he missed. Upon telling the story of the previous evening, the agent felt sorry for him and upgraded him to first class.

About a month later, I took the same class and had the same flight to catch. Learning from his mistakes, I took the "expressways" the whole way and promptly ran into the worst traffic jams I have ever encountered. One of the exits to another "expressway" featured bumper to bumper cars three wide on a one lane exit. Eventually the exit narrowed even further until only one car could make it through to, of course, bumper to bumper cars on the next "expressway". It took me about one hour to go one mile near this exit. I finally made it to the airport, rushed to return my rental car, and made it just in time, to catch my flight.

Another co-worker recently was planning a vacation in the Boston area. He couldn't understand why a friend insisted on picking him up from the airport. He told him "it can't be that bad". He just returned. Now he knows. I have visited Boston several times and despite the driving, I do enjoy visiting. I think the car rental agencies at the airport should give out metals upon successfully returning.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 3:49 am
In Memoriam

Beckles, you're right about NYC taxis having an age and/or mileage limit. The New York Times ran a story this past June about the very last day of the very last checker cab - its driver had driven it as long as he could, but was having to take it off the streets. Too bad - that was a taxi!
Old Oct 29, 1999, 8:22 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
I was quite pleasanly impressed by NYC taxi cabs & service this past August. Compared to the mid-80's, the taxis looked great. Clean, shiny, very few dented ones. Even A/C was working.
Punki: I first drove in Manhattan in '81, having come from Milwaukee in my brand-new '81 Olds Cutlass. It was scary at first -- but, after 2 days, I was giving taxi cabs a run! Oh, youth! (But now, I'd rather use a cabbie)
Now, Boston is a diff story - I am there almost every month, and NEVER drive. You can't pay me enough - taxi ride from Logan to office is scary enough.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Wow...all this talk reminds me of last month when I flew into Logan for a one-day meeting. Not my first time to Boston, but my first time driving myself...

Got into Logan Thursday night a little after 11 pm. Got a National car, and sure enough, did the Airpirt U-turn Baobab mentioned at least twice before getting out of the airport and entered the realm of the Big Dig. Stopped for a Pepsi at a convenience mart on the way out. I saw this bumber sticker that I just could not resist. They had a "Honk If You Love Jesus" bumper sticker. I was feeling
particularly sassy, since I had attended a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting before my flight, so I bought the sticker and put it on my rentmobile...

Boy, I'm glad I did! What an uplifting experience that followed!

I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection, just lost in thought about the Lord and how good He is. And I didn't notice that the light had changed. It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn't honked, I'd never have noticed! I found that LOTS of people love Jesus!

Why, while I was sitting there, the guy behind started honking
like crazy, and then he leaned out of his window and screamed,
"For the love of GOD! GO! GO! Jesus Christ, GO!" What an exuberant
cheerleader he was for Jesus! Everyone started honking! I just leaned out of my window and started waving and smiling at all these loving people. I even honked my horn a few times to share in the love! There must have been a man from my home state of Florida back there because I heard him yelling something about a "sunny beach"...

I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. I has once asked my teenage nephew about what that strange signt meant, and he said that it was a Hawaiian good luck ign. Well, I've never met anyone from Hawaii, so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign back.

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but this is when
I noticed the light had changed. So, I waved to all my sisters and brothers ,grinning, and drove on through the intersection. I noticed I was the only car that got through the intersection before the light changed again and I felt kind
of sad that I had to leave them after all the love we had shared, so I slowed the car down, leaned out of the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time as I drove away.

Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks! I LOVE driving in Boston!
Old Oct 29, 1999, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
(and I try not to drive in Boston or NYC - one reason is, that parking fees ar higher than taking a cab).
Old Oct 29, 1999, 12:42 pm

Parking fees in Boston are amazing!

The garage next to where I used to work had a rate sign which pretty much sums it up.

0-1/2 hour $12.00
Each additional hour $1.00

Needless to say, I rode the subway to work. On the plus side, I also got home sooner, especially in bad weather.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

Old Oct 29, 1999, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
ROFL

What a wonderful way to return to my office.

I am actually printing that story to take to dinner tonight. My extremely religious sister-in-law will howl. I sure did.

Old Oct 29, 1999, 12:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
hnechets: too funny, I'm signing off, need to turn off and clean my computer.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Go Hnechts! Hilarious.
Old Oct 29, 1999, 5:33 pm
Original Member

hnechets:
I laughed my middle finger off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.