Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

No LA traffic congestion? Yes, on the Metro Red Line Rail in Hollywood, now open

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No LA traffic congestion? Yes, on the Metro Red Line Rail in Hollywood, now open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 1999, 5:24 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Now the LA Metro rail, with its newest link has 49 stations over 53 miles including Red Line links to downtown LA etc from LAX. Unfortunately LAX will still be LAX!

The Metro Red Line is expanding into the San Fernando Valley adding 16 stations in the North Hollywood area slated to open in May 2000.

For more info: www.mta.net www.lacvb.com
Old Oct 19, 1999, 1:16 pm

Hummm, I don't understand the above reference to LAX and the Red line.

According to the MTA web site, you have to take a free shuttle bus from LAX to the Aviation/I-105 stop on the Green Line and then transfer to the Blue Line, then transfer to the Red line. Not sure that I would want to do all of that.

see: http://www.mta.net/metro/metrorail/ride/mr_poi.htm

So, perhaps you can explain what you had meant by Red Line and LAX.

[This message has been edited by steve100 (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old Oct 19, 1999, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does not go to LAX. The Taxi, Bus, and Shuttle lobbies were aparently successful at keeping a station off-property. A big embarassment to Los Angeles IMHO not to have this stop at the airport!
Old Oct 19, 1999, 1:41 pm
doc
Original Poster

New Red Line links Hollywood Blvd and Vermont Ave with downtown LA, Wilshire Center, Long Beach, Norwalk, Redondo Beach and LAX.

Try calling 1-800-commute if this does not help.

BTW- I'm not saying you'll want to take this route- just that it is possible. I have many friends/colleagues in the area who always insisit on picking me up. Yet the other choices are by limo or $30.-35. cab fee over 40-50mins or Metro bus in perhaps 60-90mins.
Old Oct 19, 1999, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
But next week, when we have a Subway Series here, none of these trains will get you there.
Old Oct 19, 1999, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I live in the San Fernando Valley, and it's news to me that they're adding 16 stations. In fact, they are adding only three stations.

The subway will end in the eastern portion of North Hollywood, which is not too far beyond Universal Studios-Hollywood. Funding has been cut off for expansion through the San Fernando Valley. In order to cover the whole Valley, the subway (or a light rail) would need to extend westward about 15 miles.

In theory you could take the Metro from North Hollywood to the airport area. However, you would have to transfer lines twice, then take a short bus ride. It also would be very circuitous.

Ultimately you would end up getting off the rail line, just south of LAX, in El Segundo. From there you would have to pick up a shuttle bus to take you into the airport proper. I've heard this last three mile jaunt, can take up to 20 minutes, as so few people do this, the airport authority runs few buses.

Urban planning gone very wrong!

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old Oct 19, 1999, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds like the beginnings of a good movie plot.
Old Oct 19, 1999, 6:17 pm

The LA Metro is great! (...compared to sitting in traffic.) I remember the first time I went to LA a couple of years ago, it took me five hours in an airplane to get from PIT to LAX, and THREE AND A HALF hours in a van on the freeway to get from LAX to my hotel in downtown L.A. I paid about $30 for that. Now when I go to LAX, I ALWAYS take the Metro. True, you do have to take the free (and sparce) LAX shuttle bus to Aviation on the Green Line and x-fer to the Blue Line at Rosa Parks to get downtown, but you never have to deal with traffic, it takes about 30-45 mins (or less?), and only costs $1.60.

I was also just in L.A. for the first time from 1-6 October when the new Red Line extension to Hollywood was open. It was still under construction last time I was there in March of this year. MAN!! That train is NICE!! It sure beats a bus ride out there from downtown, and it only takes abou 15 minutes!!

Also, being from Boston, I admire the smoothness, quietness, and speed of the L.A. Metro compared with our "T". As I always say, if only "America's First Subway" didn't have to be the slowest...
Old Oct 19, 1999, 8:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Having my LA home only 1/2 mile from the Universal City station, it will be nice when it finally opens.

And for those commuting to the airport, I frequently park at the end of the line and take the G bus to the airport. It's free for both parking and the bus.
Old Oct 20, 1999, 8:26 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
thisflightnofuel

Sorry you had some much trouble getting from LAX to Downtown "a couple of years ago". You clearly got taken for a ride.

Right now, a shuttle downtown through either of the larger services (Primetime or Supershuttle) should be about $15. They run express vans that just go to the downtown business area, which is only about 4 square miles. With the high occupancy lanes on the 110 and 105 Freeway (which might not have even been open when your bad experience occurred), LAX to Downtown in rush hour should be in the range of 60 minutes. If traffic is mellow, it could be as short as 25 minutes.

Taxi service from LAX to Downtown last time I noticed, was a set rate also. Somewhere around $26. I'm not sure if a taxi with one passenger can use the High Occupancy Lanes all the way, however.

Despite what visitors feel, traffic in LA is pretty predictable. Also, you always have route alternatives. I've driven surface streets from LAX to Downtown when the Freeways were in a bad mood. Even this way, it should take 60-75 minutes.

All bets are off when it rains, however.
Old Oct 20, 1999, 10:06 am
BIM

...But, but, but... "It never rains in Southern California"...
Old Oct 20, 1999, 10:59 am
Commander Catcop

L-A is NOT one of my favorite cities. I Hate driving there, most of the people are Rude (not our Flyertalk members from the CA of course) and I alwasy have problems either at LAX or downtown or in beverly Hills.

Never took the subway, but I guess L-A will get a subway stop near the airport sooner than NYC will get its own train to the plane (there's the AirTrain that's to be done by 2003,) but you have to take a train to another train! OH WHAT FUN!
Old Oct 20, 1999, 11:01 am
Commander Catcop

And does the Metro sell monthly transit cards you can buy with credit cards and earn miles?

In NYC, they are starting to get the vending machines for Metrocards (our transit card!)

$60 a month for the Metrocard
$40 a month for my montly Path Quick card (the train to Jersey.)

$100 a month, 1200 U-A miles a year! YAHOO!
Old Oct 20, 1999, 2:42 pm
doc
Original Poster

Just for clarity, and to expand on what PremEx said above- it goes to LAX, but not directly onsite to the terminal. It is a 2mi FREE shuttle bus ride to the Green Line stop as indicated. Apparently they are scheduled to run every 15 mins. It seems the major complaint is that not enough folks use it to justify the cost of adding more busses! Again, as PremEx noted, a bit of a shame.

For additional info on existing rail links to airports, see the Sept '99 Frequent Flyer magazine.

Try the destination section, as well as the Sept '99 FF mag, at
www.oag.com/frequentflyer

Also: www.QuickAid.com www.TheTrip.com/strategies/airport/ www.biztravel.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.