An Unrequested Wake Up Call

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 1999, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)

I'm in my hotel room happily reading FlyerTalk. It's 7:30 AM, and I hear a knock at the door. I wonder who's knocking so early. I didn't order room service for breakfast.

I open the door - it's housekeeping!

It wouldn't have occurred to me to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, because I thought housekeeping never came around until at least 8:30.

Does it seem to anyone else that housekeeping is starting to come earlier and earlier? And, what's the earliest time of day you've gotten the "unrequested wake up call?"
Old Oct 12, 1999, 7:58 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, earlier for sure, but that's generally okay with me since I usually wake up early!

Earliest unsolicited was 3:00 am in the JW Marriott, Kuala Lumpur- if you count the smoke detector malfunctioning as a wake up "call!"

BTW- Still waiting to hear from you when you are up to it!
Old Oct 12, 1999, 11:29 am
Commander Catcop

Sometimes the hotels FORGET to give me wakeup calls.

As I have written before and some of my Flyertalker friends know very well, I ALWAYS put the do not disturb sign on the door. I have shared the reason why with some of you.

(When I have the time I'll find the link.)

Even with a do not disturb sign... sometimes housekeeper comes a knocking. Most recently: Westin Harbour Castle where if I didn't come out of the bathroom when I would have had a very revealing experience with the male housekeeper.

Which would NOT have been fun since I did NOT have my wakeup PEPSI of the morning. And I'm a real animal without my PEPSI!
Old Oct 12, 1999, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
When travelling with certain business associates, I have been known,on occasion, to spare them the hassle of ordering breakfast by doing so on their behalf, for delivery at, say, 6AM.

Funny, they don't seem to be as grateful as I might expect. And before I get any notes of outrage, please understand that I never fire the first shot in these practical joke wars.. just the decisive one.
Old Oct 12, 1999, 12:26 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Catman- You may want to try www.mrwakeup.com
Free to all in the US and Canada.
Old Oct 12, 1999, 2:28 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
Fire alarms and hurricane warnings aside, my earliest unrequested wake-up calls have been around 7:30. Use the do not disturb sign...
Old Oct 12, 1999, 2:30 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Just to be safe, I always use the do not disturb sign regardless of when I plan on getting up ...
Old Oct 12, 1999, 2:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Beckles: That's an old New Orleans axiom
Old Oct 12, 1999, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

dgolds, was it by any chance a Hilton? I've always had the worst problems with their housekeeping, frequently before 8:00 a.m.
Old Oct 12, 1999, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

johna: I left out the name of the hotel because I posted to see what other people thought was a reasonable time for housekeeping to come around rather than as a comment about this particular hotel. But FYI it's not a Hilton.

jet, Beckles, Catman: Thanks for the tip. The Do Not Disturb sign is now on my door. Seems so obvious now that you mention it but it never occurred to me to put out the sign before.
Old Oct 13, 1999, 1:28 am
Original Member

I find that experience more common with the phone. It has been several times that I have received wake up calls in the morning that I did not request. Or calls for guests that have been misrouted to my room at various hours of the morning. I stayed at a Holiday Inn in San Antonio for 2 weeks, and this happenned incessantly. I reported it, but to no avail. They just did not get it or care.
Old Oct 13, 1999, 6:27 am
ALW

I'm really not trying to be sarcastic here, but doesn't the security latch stop the cleaning staff from coming in?

But I do think the DND sign is a good idea too, and I'll start putting it out every night.

andrew
Old Oct 13, 1999, 7:20 am
Original Poster

AW: Point of clarification: they didn't actually come in to the room, they just knocked. Had I been asleep, they would have woken me up.

Old Oct 13, 1999, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
My inadvertent wakeup problems have usually been when I had no choice but to get up when the folks in the next room wanted to. One particularly memorable one was a group of noisy and very early-rising hunters in Dallas last fall. The worst part was, after waking me up at 5 am and making so much noise I couldn't get back to sleep, they left their alarm set so it went off in the then-empty room the NEXT morning too! I had to call the front desk to send someone to turn the **** thing off. (I fault the hotel staff for not checking that.)
Old Oct 13, 1999, 11:11 am

I was with some friends over Labor Day weekend at the Flamingo in Vegas, they put the do not disturb sign on the door knob even though we were checking out that day and requested a late check out, the front desk they would not have the room clean until they check out, well to their surprise the front desk had checked them out in the computer system and gave the key to the new occupant which walked right in while they were awake but still in bed. To this man's surprize turned around and went back to the front desk. My husband and I watched since we were checking out ahead of time. This man was not very happy but he did have a grin on his face, but my friends were a bit unhappy. DOUBLE BOLT YOUR DOOR. (By the way the room wasn't cleaned but they still gave the room key out)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.