Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid vs. Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 1999, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Madrid vs. Barcelona

I'm going to take a 'side trip' this month while I'm in Europe; mainly to get another OW flight notched on IB. I'm torn between the Castillians & Spaniards - never been to either place (never been to Spain, either, but I kind of like the music).

So suggestions are appreciated!

BTW, if I go to Madrid, the Palace Hotel (Starwood property) looks nice. Any experiences there?

Cheers,

'toad
Old Oct 4, 1999, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
Other than to say that the Castilians and the Catalonians don't quite see eye-to-eye and speak the "King's Spanish" de la Real Academia de la Lengua Española. there's quite a bit to see and do in both cities. (I speak fluent Spanish but it's of the Caribbean variety.)

Note that in Barcelona, the capital of Catalonia, they speak Catalán, but Spanish is widely understood. The still-under-construction Sagrada Familia cathedral (designed by Gaudí, and where today's term 'gaudy' originates from) is quite impressive.

Food: Practically the national dish is paella, which has variations in different regions, but is mostly rice with saffron, olive oil, bits of chicken, sausage (chorizo) and sometimes seafood. The bars usually serve tapas, which are a variety of hot and cold hors d'oeuvres.

If you are squeamish or abhor the cruelty of animals, do not go to the bullfights.

Hope this info is helpful to you as a start.

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Old Oct 4, 1999, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Muchas gracias. No squeamishness here - I'm a farm boy ya know. Bought my first car by selling a couple of cows to the butcher. Bullfights can't be worse that butchering your own hogs, can it? One of dese days I'll go to Pamplona & run with dem dere bulls.

Hopefully English is semi-widely spoken since I will probably starve to death if I have to rely on my Spanish.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Oct 4, 1999, 2:50 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Two wonderful cities- a tough choice, but where you can't go wrong. Madrid has the Prado, if you are really into the museum thing- and great food and entertainment and so forth but Barcelona is no slouch either. Try a coin flip!

Last time in Madrid, staying at the Hotel Villa Magna- a Park Hyatt on Castellana was absolutely wonderful, but also quite expensive as I recall.

If you do go to Madrid, the Palace is a truly great place as well. Old world baroque charm with all the modern amenities and fine service, particularly since it was just remodeled/renovated. I've never stayed there, but have eaten at the restaurant (nearly four years ago) which I think is called le Cupola or something. Excellent, with a Meditarranean touch! I'd love to try staying here.

It is well situated accross from two museums one of which is the Prado. Nearby is also a lot of the political and other cultural stuff, the Ritz Hotel and the stock exchange. It's a very nice part (SE) of town

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Starwood properties in Barcelona.
Old Oct 4, 1999, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Just got back from a weekend in Barcelona and I would definitely recommend a visit. Although both Madrid and BArcelona are good choices. But Barcelona has the added benfit of the beaches if you're into that. There are alos lots of neat churches / buildings throughout the city and a lot to keep you occupied for the weekend. One word of caution, in BCN you will probably find less English in use and also hotels (the good bigger ones) are hard to get rooms in. It seems that most of Europe heads to BCN for weekends so plan for the crowds.

In BCN try and get a room at the Arts Hotel (a Ritz property / built for the Olympics) which is just a great place. If you can't get a room try to have a drink in the classy bar/lounge. Great service and you can see a lot of Europe's "beautiful" people!

Either choice will surely be fun so let us know what you decide - and have a good time!
Old Oct 4, 1999, 3:57 pm

'never been to Spain, either, but I kind of like the music'.

Great line, 'Toad...but I'm afraid you & I may be the only ones old enough to get it!!
Old Oct 4, 1999, 5:23 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I've spent about a week in each city, and I'd have to say I like Barcelona just a bit more. Why? The beaches. The scenery looking out over the city to the Mediterranean just can't be beat.

-Scott
Old Oct 4, 1999, 6:05 pm
Original Member

Shadow--there are loads of us around to remember where the line came from, but my vague recollection from who we all are thread is that 'toad is not all that old. Just a recollection, though, since search isn't working, and I'm not going to plow back through all those posts to find his bio. On the Madrid v. Barcelona question, I have not been to Barcelona, but the Inter-Continental in Madrid is a great hotel. If you are lucky, you may be able to get it really cheap on an Internet weekend price, which would make it my choice, particularly if you are already a Six Continents Club member and can get a great upgraded room there and the other amenities.
Old Oct 4, 1999, 8:45 pm

Barcelona is nice. The architecture is interesting. Las Ramblas is an interesting walk. The Barrio Attico has been cleaned up nicely this decade for the Olympics.
Old Oct 4, 1999, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Madrid is a great place to visit if you have jet lag since they don't eat dinner til midnight.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Palace twice in the last year and it is very, very good. I've gotten my Starwood upgrade each time. I've also stayed at the Melia Castilla which is pretty good on the club floors.

The Palace is walking distance to Plaza Major which is the place to be after 11pm. You can get away with English there especially at the British pub at one of the entrances. Kiddy corner to that, is a restaurant with the best Flamenco dancing I've seen. Go at 11pm, make a reservation for 11:45 or midnight and get a front row table.

During the day be sure to visit the Prado which is also walking distance from the Palace.
Old Oct 4, 1999, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
shadow: I get it! (but missed it the first time It's very late here. ) You and I must be the same age... we seem to find the same things funny.
Old Oct 5, 1999, 2:42 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
perfect advise from stimpy.

don't ask that BIG RIVALRY (Barcelona/Madrid) question in Spain!
Old Oct 5, 1999, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I concur. Tough to pick between the two cities. Not sure Starwood has any properties in Barcelona though. Also agree that the Intercontinental Madrid is an afforable alter- native to the two shing stars across from the Prado Museum, the Ritz and the Palace. It's up the Catellana, but a less busy district than the central area by the Prado. I've also experienced the benefits of Six Continents Club membership on my stays there. It's on the metro line, and within walking distance of some nice cafes, great shopping, and tree shaded walks.
Old Oct 5, 1999, 11:03 pm
Commander Catcop

I have not been to either, and if forced to choose I would try to do both, even if it means flying out to one for the day and flying back on a cheap Iberia flight.

The one thing I will NOT do is the Bull shows hurting those poor cows. I'm not squeemish, but I don't want to know where my Ruth's Chris steak really comes from!
Old Oct 6, 1999, 12:17 am

I've been to both cities, but enjoyed Barcelona much more. I like the feeling of the city's revitalisation since the Olympics were there. Great food, shopping, and culture all around. I liked both, but on my next trip to Europe, Barcelona outranks Madrid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.