Search

Unified Baggage Rules?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 1999, 2:31 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Unified Baggage Rules?

Two bills pending before Congrees seek to limit pax to 2 carry-on bags when on a US carrier. Neither could exceed 45 "linear" inches. (that's 9"x14"x22".

Reps. Lipinski (D-IL) & Inouye (D-HI) independently introduced these to get the FAA to issue precide reg's. Now each has its own policy as you know. You also know the confusion/irritation/delays at the gate(s).

The Association of Flight Attendents is of course supporting bith bills which should be considered this fall. Some observers clain Inoyue's has a greater chance of passing since it may be "attached" to the Senates FAA Reauthorization Bill.

We may have less reason to be complaining to the carriers in this regard in the near future.

For or against-write your Congressman!
Old Sep 17, 1999, 3:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
It seems that the rules are less important than the enforcement.

SW and AW each have "bins" that the carry on must fit in. UA has its "hole" in the passage for the security check. None of these airlines make any real effort in "policing" these rules. Only when someone is last on with stuff or the flight is so full and the FA's have a bunch of stuff they are transporting do I see any real action.

AW has bins that "run together" allowing the physical presence of something about 7 foot long. On the four legs to SEATAC (from LGB) and back several violators were ignored, inspite of several announcements. I guess if someone believes their duffel bag is 9x24x12 instead of 56x12x12 then who should ask ?'s. The two ladies that brought on 2 purses, 3 shopping bags (none met the criterion), and a pull bag, and one reasonable carry on were never asked to check anything even though they were out of compliance of a couple of measures. This would have caused a problem out of Phoenix to LGB, but the flight was delayed 25 minutes in boarding, 30 minutes in getting out of the gate and then 90 minutes to take off, so everyone had plenty of time to squash all their junk in every corner of the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.