Wiki Posts
Search

OAG Flight Guide puts on weight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 1999, 8:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

OAG Flight Guide puts on weight

So what's the deal? My "complimentary" (courtesy of National Car Rental) September 1999 OAG flight guide is almost exactly twice as thick at the August edition. I can't believe that NA airlines suddenly doubled the number of flights, nor is their any indication of changes in the format or data.

Any thoughts on what happened?

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Sep 8, 1999, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably got a deal on some thicker paper for that printing.

------------------
Happy travelling and remember - No matter where you go, there you are.

Old Sep 8, 1999, 8:53 pm

It's simple. Many airlines change their schedules in mid-September.
Old Sep 9, 1999, 4:45 pm
ALW

It's true, there are an awful lot of "D" and matching "E" flights (e.g. one of the CP flights YVR-LAX switches from 1230-1528 to 1230-1523, which results in four lines instead of one).

What I find interesting (this is my first issue) is the strange lack of a lot of connecting flight listings. For instance, my favourite, YOW-LAX, there are AC connections through YYZ and US connections through PIT/PHL listed. But no CP/AA connections through YVR or even ORD! (Granted the former is a bit out-of-the-way, but the latter is just about as straight-line as AC's).

I infer from something I read in the Guide, that the airlines pay for the connections listings. But why would AA/CP not include _any_ listings for YOW-LAX? Just being cheap?

I forgot to ask, Ken, what do you have to do for a complimentary subscription from National? Or is it just a complimentary issue?

Thanks!
andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 09-09-1999).]
Old Sep 9, 1999, 5:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Andrew:

The "complimentary" subscription is for 6 months only, and came via the National Car Rental Emerald Aisle program. I rent from them very frequently. Of course, with this, the third issue of 6, I received an "invitation" to purchase a subscription. Interesting, but no thanks.

As far as the connections go, my understanding (from elsewhere on this board) is that, yes, airlines do have to pay for connections information. However, it seems that only UA has chosen to do so.

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Sep 11, 1999, 10:31 am
Original Member

I just got 3 free copies from Diners' Club, same type of promotion.

jl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.