Wiki Posts
Search

50 Cent FF Charge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 1999, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
50 Cent FF Charge

Has anyone heard of a charge of $.50 to have your frequent flyer/hotel program credited? I was just on the Dollar Rent A Car page inquiring about rental rates when I happened upon their "Partner" area. They state that a charge of 50 cents will be levied as a frequent flyer tax if you want your program credited! Do all car rentals do this now? I checked other web sites and could not find any such charge listed.
PS- Its not that I am being cheap, its just that 50 cents is 50 cents and it could be spent on more worthwile items......

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 07-27-1999).]
Old Jul 27, 1999, 8:17 am

I only know of Dollar doing it, since I use them mostly in DFW. Not sure when started, but at least a year ago...
Old Jul 27, 1999, 8:46 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I just looked at a Hertz receipt from Indianapolis in May. They added a charge:

"7.5% EXC TAX ON FF MI 0.09"

I was awarded 82 miles. It appears that they probably valued the miles at .015 each, with a retail price of $1.23.

So far, none of the accounting people at my company have rejected the .09 extra expense.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 07-27-1999).]
Old Jul 27, 1999, 9:33 am
Original Member

Hertz has been doing it for about a year. There were some old posts about it. I think Avis may be also.

jl
Old Jul 27, 1999, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I guess given that others are charges some sort of tax/fee for FF we should be glad that Dollar is at least being upfront about it.
Old Jul 27, 1999, 11:46 am
Commander Catcop

It's nice DOLLAR is being upfront about the charge, but do these rental car companies REALLY NEED THE NINE CENTS???

I've seen this on my car rental reports and my company rejected it (Mine was about a dime) and I was told they only pay for travel essentials, not "mark" essentials (like mile surcharges.)

Old Jul 27, 1999, 11:51 am
pgupta011

Catman - the rental car companies do not get the nine cents. It is given to the Federal government, which likely does not spend it on travel related expenses. The question is - with the current govt surplus, does the federal govt really need those nine cents.

Old Jul 27, 1999, 11:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
neeeeeed? Do you neeeeeed ff points? I do not think need is the issue. The government has been trying to tax ff points for a long time but has not come up with a way to do it. This tax on points is a modest way to extract some revenue, even if they do not neeed it!
Old Jul 27, 1999, 12:15 pm

Believe you're right on, ranles. With the heavy lobby NOT to tax FF miles, I guess they decided to start with car rentals. Slipping pennies in on us doesn't sound like much, but I'm sure it totals large $$'s. What's next, hotel points??
Old Jul 27, 1999, 12:29 pm
pgupta011

They did not start with car rentals. Airline FF miles when bought by anyone are taxed. We are seeing the ramifications of this on phone call bills, buying miles through the airlines (e.g. Delta will sell you books of FF mile certificates and add the tax), and car rentals (there may be others passing the tax also).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.