Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Parking in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 1999, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Parking in New York City

I'm driving to NYC for a long weekend. I have a new car, and I'd like to keep it that way for a while longer. I posted a note on Fodor and a couple of people recommended Lincoln Center parking. I'm not too concerned with the price. What I am concerned with is safety against valet parkers, door dingers, and thieves. I'm staying next to Grand Central Station at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I forgot to mention. I won't be driving it while I'm there, I need overnight parking.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 9:35 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my MOBIL Guide, 98-edition, says: *** Grand Hyatt, Park Ave at Grand Central (10017), 42nd St, between Lexington and Vanderbildt, ... Garage $34 ...
Old Jul 11, 1999, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. However, I don't want to use Hyatts valet. I have no idea what he's doing with it or where he is taking it.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I gave up driving to NYC a long time ago. Best solution I found (coming from Penna or Del) was to drive to EWR and use one of the public lots, private lots or hotel lots (used the Marriott one a lot), take their shuttle to the terminal, and take the Olympic bus directly to 36th and near Park Ave. Walk 1-2 blocks and you are at the Grand Hyatt. Reverse the procedure upon return. Fast, convenient, reasonable and my car always safely stayed where I parked it.

Some others may give you exact up-to-date info on parking at EWR. I posted and got some info about 4-5 months ago. I just did a search, and found it, but could not get the URL to list here. Do a search using "parking" and you should find it posted under my name.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 11:58 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I guess chances of any "harm" to you car on Manhatan roads are bigger than by valet-parking of Hyatt (and you can still insist, that you drive your car yourself to that parking, accompanied by the valet guy to show you your way).

But is your question serious anyway?

(yes I know, today I am in a "irritated" mood, the bad weather did prevent me from spending my weekend at Wengen)
Old Jul 11, 1999, 2:57 pm
Commander Catcop

I too would part as far from NYC as possible. Go to EWR and take the Olypmic bus (or the airlink to Penn Station, Newark then Path to NYC.)

Lincoln center parking area is ok, but I'm afraid to even take a rental car into the city. Traffic is bad, there's a Lot of construction all over and the cabbies drive with their eyes.

So it will add a bit of time to your journey but if you can stay out of NYC>

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jul 12, 1999, 5:50 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Contrarian view here! I learned to drive in NY and I've driven in NYC since I was a kid and on street parking in the summer is a cinch- everyone takes their cars to the Hamptons! The city is kind of dead in summer in general, but especially on weekends!

I wouldn't worry - anything is gonna be fine- just fine! NYC parking damage problems are somewhat overrated. Don't waste your valuable fun time worrying!

On the other hand, your valet parking concerns are valid. I worked in a garage as a student and you get a lot of characters parking these nice cars. How do you think I got to drive a Rolls-Royce? Have a great trip! I'm sure it'll be fun as long as you don't worry about your car.

By the way I have a BMW that I like a lot and the same rules apply to me!I actually have stayed in NYC hotels with parking included and I left my car in the street! The other problem is the time involved in picking the car up from the garage. One time I had to wait nearly an hour to get the car and I literally almost missed my plane!
Old Jul 12, 1999, 6:54 pm
Original Member

Some expensive advise.

Go with the EWR advice that has been posted. Parking in Manhattan is a hassle and a rip off. Driving is a nightmare. Park at Newark International Airport adj.parking lots Take the Olympia Trails bus from Newark to Grand Central Station. It will drop you off at 40th and Lex.Just a few blocks from the Grand Hyatt. You'll sleep better. Good luck. Have a good stay in the big apple!!!!

[This message has been edited by MIKE MAHONEY (edited 07-12-1999).]
Old Jul 14, 1999, 2:01 pm
BIM

Can't help you on the parking (I take the train in) but I would like to suggest that you might do better than the Grand Hyatt. I stay there often (office literaly right across the street) so it is ultra convenient, but if I was on my own dime, I would look elsewhere. Not that the property is overtly bad, mind you, rather it strikes me as "worn". The rooms seem seedy for what you'll pay, and there are much better choices nearby. (To be honest, I can't name many, but the Intercontinental is close, as well as a Marriott, and my favorite, the UN Plaza). Many others close by, I'm sure. Perhaps some of the natives could further advise...
Old Jul 14, 1999, 2:28 pm

Park way out at Newark? Come on, a bit far out, don't you think?

I always drive my Stealth right into Manhattan and park, many times on the street and never had had problems. Usually, though, I leave it in a garage. There are a few public ones around that aren't that expensive - have found them in the $10 to $16 a day range. You just need to get a bit away from Grand Central. For example, I attend many conventions at the Javits Center on the west side, and you can usually find reasonable parking between there and Times Square. Also, self parking garage near Port Authority isn't to bad (although, not the best area, but in a safe garage where you park yourself).

I am sure that a native New Yorker would have better suggestions, but I wouldn't park all the way in Newark Airport.
Old Jul 14, 1999, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advise. I can make a better choice thanks to all of you .
In response to BIM, I'm sure you're right. I go to NYC quite often on business and I always stay at the Hyatt because I'm a Diamond member. And I can only keep it that way by staying there. It didn't increase my enthusiasm when I read a few years ago that Hyatt was threatening to sue Donald Trump because he wouldn't make vital repairs to the place. But I guess ignorance is bliss. How can I compare it to anything else in NYC when I haven't stayed anywhere else in years?
Old Jul 16, 1999, 2:26 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Donald Trump developed it a while back due to a huge tax incentive. Good location at Grand Central but if you are a GP Diamond I'm sure they will treat you well at the Park Hyatt UN Plaza. It's very good in comparison but a bit pricier and only a "short" walk away.

steve100- Glad to see another brave soul willing to take on the streets of Manhattan without a hack license and a desparate need to make a few quick bucks.

Old Jul 18, 1999, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

You must have some inside information because the only Hyatt they lay claim to in NYC is the Grand Hyatt on 42nd Street.
Old Jul 18, 1999, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Just to end this story. I came through the Lincoln Tunnel and parked at the Javits Convention Center Parking. The spaces are tight but I found one out of the way. The parking was $19/day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.