Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open Jaw tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 1999, 11:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Open Jaw tickets

I know that flying A to B with a return of C to A is an open jaw, but what about the following:

Fly from A to B with a return from B to C?
Old Jul 15, 1999, 11:38 pm
pgupta011

I think that they are both open jaw. I used to live in CA bay area and for return, I used to ask about return to either SJC or SFO (to maximize the number of flights available for FF tickets).

Old Jul 16, 1999, 6:46 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I do believe those are both open jaw. I believe open jaw is when you have three cities, and one of the legs is unflown between the three cities.

The primary rule to remember about open jaw tickets is that the unflown leg must be the shortest leg of the trip to be considered and open jaw.
Old Jul 16, 1999, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I don't think that A to B and than B to C is an open jaw - even if C is closer to A than to B.

It could still be a simple return-ticket if A and C are considered to be one place: example LGA/EWR/JFR = NYC (or the Washington DC, San Francisco, Los Angeles - "Areas" and others).
Old Jul 16, 1999, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
We did the open jaw A-B and then B-C two or three years ago. We flew from ROC to LON(via Philadelphia ) on BA (and USAir code share), then from LHR - PIT . We then used FF award tickets to on USAir from PIT to SEA, and finishing up a week later flying SEA - PIT-ROC. Yes, I knw we could have done LON to SEA, but had first class freebee's for the PIT-SEA and return segments.
Old Jul 16, 1999, 8:20 am
Original Member

I am sure that A to B and then B to C is an open jaw. I used to have this situation fairly frequently when flying Delta between the UK to the US. The fare I tended to purcase would allow one open jaw, so I could fly LGW-MCO; ATL-LGW or LGW-ATL; ATL-MAN. I could not fly LGW-MCO; ATL-MAN as that has two open jaws.

I agree with Rudi that the situation is different when A and C are different airports in the same city (eg LHR/LGW; JFK/EWR/LGA) because then the ticket is between the same city pairs so is not an open-jaw.

James

[This message has been edited by james (edited 07-16-1999).]
Old Jul 16, 1999, 10:17 am
BSL

If you run into restrictions on booking an open jaw try this:

You want to fly CLE-FRA and then return CDG-LAX. Say you are getting married in CLE.

Book the CLE-???-FRA flight and then book the return CDG-LAX and then book the first flight out the next day for the LAX-CLE portion. They will usually let you do this.

While yes this is throw-away ticketing, but everytime I have booked it the agents did not seem to mind even if the flight to LAX is out of the way.
This way you don't have an open jaw on both ends of the trip.

BSL
Old Jul 16, 1999, 12:45 pm

You should be ok on either, as long as the open jaw portion is shorter than either of the flown segments.

EX- MKE/SFO/ORD -ok since MKE/ORD is shortest

EX= MKE/SFO; PHX/MKE - ok since SFO/PHX is shortest distance.

Above applies on NWA, but others may have different rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.