How much to tip skycaps?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much to tip skycaps?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 1999, 11:19 am
Commander Catcop

To stay on Topic: I have NEVER used a SkyCap. the lines are too long at EWR and other airports and I rush to the gate (but now that I have a Red Carpet Lounge memberhsip I'm trying to get to the airport to go to the club and put my feet up with a Sam Adams or other beers!)

OMNI: As for tiping... the Cat's rules:

*Generally: 15 Percent
*Exceptional service: 25 percent.
*Horrid Service: rounded off to the nearest dollar.

Once at an Olive Garden the waiter was rude, crude, did not bring me my Coke (and charged me for it) the food was cold, I got no garlic sticks and he muttered when I gave him a coupon. So his tip was 7 cents.

He ran after me as I left and asked why only 7 cents. I said you can use that money, go to the cheap book store and buy yourself a book on personality.

It was one of my Cattiest moments!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jul 13, 1999, 11:31 am

OK, on topic:

I only use a skycap if I'm travelling with the wife (i.e., multiple bags). Then I'll give $5. Since I use an off-airport parking arrangement, I tip $1-2 for the ride & baggage. Unless, of course, the shuttle driver insists on waiting for a car that just pulled in to the lot to find a spot, park and unload; then load them up before we can be on our way. Usually tipping when I get on the shuttle avoids that scenario.

And a question: Every place I've used a skycap, they either don't have or understand when I mention priority luggage tags (from AA status). Is this generally true?

Thanks for the laugh, Catman! I've had similar experiences at Olive Garden. A word (letter if they're not available) to the manager usually results in a free meal (drinks not included ).

Cheers,

'toad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.