Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Chicago

Things to do in Chicago

Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:17 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Things to do in Chicago

Thanks to a fun filled and educational weekend hosted by the beautiful and Talented FlyerTalk herself, ANNA S I have a new appreciation and love of the windy city (Which was more hot than windy when I was there this weekend.)

So if you find yourself in Chicago...

*Eat a Stuffed Chicago Styled hot dog. It's 900 percent better than the watered down stuff they serve at the pushcarts in NYC (and the Chicago version's probably healtier too!)
*Take one of the Architectural or Historical Boat cruises. They run 90 minutes and they show you the history of chicago as told through it's unique architecture. I find the Chicago skyline more original and flowing (one style flows into another) rather than the glass boxes of big cities like HOUSTON and THe BIG APPLE. Chicago has preserved the past and looked to the future. ANNA & I took the architecture one along the Chicago waterfront... it is better than the other one.

Trivia fact: The name of the cow who allegedly kicked the lantern and burned Chicago to the ground was DAISY.

*Go to Marshall Field's, if only to get a box or ten of Frango Mints. SO good. the only problem is finding a clerk, becuase in the Marshall Field's store where I went hunting for a candy dish... no one on there. Someone could walk off with the Marshall Field shirts and bags.

*If you are there last week of June to Early July: The TASTE OF CHICAGO is a MUST!! ANNA & I went and she introduced me to the best boneless BBQ beef sandwich (Robinson's) the best CHEESECAKE (Eli's Turtle cheesecake with lots of chocolate and other stuff) and other delecacies. You buy coupons and turn them in for samplers or a full course.

*From now till October: More than 300 cows are dotting the sidewalks and other places around The Windy City. Local artists did cows to represent the city's diversity (from the Green DoubleMint Cow in front of the Wrigley's building to my favorite, the FlyerTalk Cow with camera and map and MY Hawaiian shirt!) -- NJDavid... the pix of that is coming...

*Lots of other fun things ANNA the Ambassador of Chicago can fill in.

What a great city! What a fun place for an F-T get together someday!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 28, 1999, 2:22 am

ANNAS:
Based upon CATMAN'S review, I think we should set up a 3Happiness FT Dim Sum ASAP. Knowitall is just a Beertown away from Chitown. For comments on my Dim Sum abilities go to Community - SFO DIM SUM.

What's the deal with the cows? We're supposed to be America's Dairyland!
Old Jun 28, 1999, 5:39 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the New York Times is following Catman

June 27, 1999
FRUGAL TRAVELER / By DAISANN McLANE
City of Skyscrapers and Sister Carrie

http://www.nytimes.com/library/trave.../ft990627.html
Old Jun 28, 1999, 9:05 am

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
This past weekend I went to Cabaret in Chicago. It's showing at the Shubert Theatre and stars Teri Hatcher (of Lois and Clark fame) in the lead role of Sally Bowles. What a terrific show and does she have a voice! I never would have guessed. Anyway, this is the national touring company and will be in Chicago through July 24, after which it goes to Washington D.C. to finish its tour. So, if you're going to be in Chicago in the next few weeks...
Old Jun 28, 1999, 10:21 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Thank you Rudi my friend for the Chicago article.

It's interesting that I end up going to the same places around the same times the TIMES travel articles appear.

But the COWS is a real exhibit and when I get around to developing the pixs... you will see the FlyerTalk cow with the CAT!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 28, 1999, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Here are some the the things I do when I stay at the Marriott Downtown, Chicago:

1. Shop
2. Shop
3. Shop
4. Shop
5. Shop
6. When they close the stores, I check Webflyer at Kinkos in Hotel.

Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:11 pm

Whenever I get to Chicago, my first choice is Wrigley Field. I'll take a hot dog at the ballpark over any steakhouse.

------------------

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Punki ... I would know a vegetarian restaurant there ...
Old Jun 28, 1999, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Actually one of the most pleasant evenings I have had in Chicago was dining and dancing at "Fly Me To The Moon" on North Clark.

I also like to take very, very long walks along the lake and visit the Art Institute and Museum of Science and Industry.
Old Jun 28, 1999, 2:04 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Punki- Curious about the Marriott Chicago Downtown since Chicago had been Renaissance/Westin River North/Hyatt territory for me and I've heard mixed reviews. It'a a good location though and it seems as if you are going back!
Old Jun 28, 1999, 2:35 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

As ANNA reminded me, I forgot to add to things to do:

Chicago Historical Society in Lincoln Park. It's a great place to see the history of a growing city.

As for the Chicago Marriott, I guess I got there on a GOOD WEEKEND.

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 28, 1999, 4:15 pm
Suspended

As long as the rooms are clean, not too small and reasonably attractive, I am not too fussy. The room I had most recently had at the Marriott had a wonderful view of the lake and I loved it.

The only thing that really matters is, how far is it from the Miracle Mile? If I am in a shopping mood I pick the Marriott or Westin or Drake. I am not as fanatic about hotel points as I am about air miles. Maybe I'll catch that compulsion if I hang out here a while longer.

Usually I go to Chicago to speak at a conference and then I stay in the headquarters hotel, whatever it might be. Often the Sheraton on the River, or next month it is the Hyatt Regency. I also really like the Hilton and its proximity to the lake.
Old Jun 28, 1999, 4:28 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks Punki!
Old Jun 28, 1999, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
I would also like to say that I had a wonderful time this weekend with the very charming Catman. What also made it really nice for me was doing some of the "tourist" stuff that you don't normally do in your own town. I had not been on the architecture river cruise but had heard it was wonderful and I had not been to the Chicago Historical Society since I was a very little girl. There is so much to do & see in Chicago and I really enjoy showing off my fair city to others (which I believe to be the greatest city on earth)!

knowitall: Dim Sum at 3 Happiness would be great! Please let me know when would be a good time for you & we can set something up. I'm assuming you reside in the Milwaukee area (the main Beertown I know!) so drive on down 94 & visit for a spell! As for the cows, I didn't get it at first either (who's ever heard of cows in downtown Chicago?) but it's actually pretty cool. There are approximately 300 plaster or some material cow sculptures that are decorated in various ways by local artists, some sponsored by companies. The Doublemint cow that Catman referred to is a cow with a head on each end painted green with some doublemint arrows on it. When Catman's pics get to NJDavid's site, you'll be able to see the "adopted" mascot of FlyerTalk with Catman himself! Don't worry, we're not looking to take the "America's Dairyland" title away from you!

Punki: Sounds like we definitely have something in common: SHOPPING! Being a native, I do love shopping here as well, with Water Tower Place being one of my favorite malls! Don't forget that when staying at a downtown hotel, make sure to ask the concierge how to get you're Marshall Field's "visitor's bag". It contains 1 yummy Frango mint chocolate bar & (most importantly) 2 10% off coupons for any sale or non-sale priced item in the store! They will either make you show your room key or out-of-state driver's license to get it.

One of these days when my schedule is a bit more stable, I will host a Chicago FT get-together (thanks to Catman's compliments of my hosting abilities!) Stay tuned!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Old Jun 28, 1999, 7:01 pm
EMD
Original Member

Anna S -

Did not know you were so close - I'm in Bloomington, IL and make it to Chicago quite frequently!! Love the town - since I have never been able to go on the Arch. society tour (always booked up once I call!) - I usually take newbies on the double-decker red tours - very cheesey, but covers the whole downtown!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.