Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 1999, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
EMD:

Glad to meet a "neighbor" on the board! We didn't go on the Chicago Architectural Society tour (it was all sold out) but went on the Chicago From the Lake architectural river cruise that leaves out of River East Plaza (formerly known as North Pier) not too far from Navy Pier. From what I've heard, this is the better tour, but I haven't gone on the CAS tour to compare yet. We'll have to meet up sometime when you're in town.

------------------
Regards,
- Anna

Old Jun 29, 1999, 12:56 am

As a native Chicago area resident, some of my faviorite spots are the newly renovated Navey Pier, Museum of Science and Industry, Brookfield Zoo and Miller's Pub downtown. Check them out if you get a chance.
Old Jun 29, 1999, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Don't forget losing yourself in the Art Institute of Chicago. There's so much to see, and not just paintings. I spent an entire day, browsing, reading, admiring, and didn't make it through the entire place. Was forced to take in some aerobic shopping afterward to unwind!
Old Jun 29, 1999, 12:54 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

And the Art Institute has a true CATMAN landmark: the two lions, inspired by Patience and Foritude the Lions that "guard" the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue.

I know Quiet Lion would be a fan of them!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 30, 1999, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Lions R me!

QuietLion
Old Jul 1, 1999, 5:57 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I agree with Punki, take a long walk along the lakefront. I usually walk from the area around the Shed Aquarium up to the Navy Pier. While most of the stuff inside the Navy Pier is tackey-touristy they do have some good restaurants. Also on weekends there are usually a few bands playing- and nothing beats having an ice cold beer while sitting on the Pier with the lake in front of you and the Chicago skyline behind listening to some classic rock & roll!
While in Chicago I usually stay at the Hyatt Printers Row, it is smaller and nearer my Chicago office. The best rooms are the '24' as in 424, 524, 624. They are larger corner room, with a VCR & most important, a view of the Lake. Mind you, it is just a sliver-view, but a view none the less. The restaurant there is first rate--kind of Frank Lloyd Wright inspired & great food. Also there is a good pizza place across the street- Edwardo's for take out when you want to just pig out in your room & watch TV.
Old Jul 1, 1999, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Speaking of Chicago, does anybody know what the little unmarked, black, single story building that sits across the street from the Westin and is taking up half a block of prime real estate is? I have asked every cabbie that drives me for the last 3 years and most of them don't even remember that it is there. A true mystery. Anna?
Old Jul 3, 1999, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Rent a bike and take a 20 mile ride along the longest uninterupted urban lakeshore in the world.

After you've worked up an appetite, stuff yourself at Gibsons on Rush. Home of the biggest meals in town. William "the Refrigerator" Perry's favorite restaurant.

Or Ranalli's on Elm for a huge Calzone.
Old Jul 3, 1999, 9:33 pm

Punki, I did my grad work across the street from that building. I was told at the time that it is a private club.
Old Jul 3, 1999, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
That's what I suspected. Wonder what the dues are???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.