Search

Paris....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2001, 10:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Premex
Paris....

The complete city is one big tourist trap.

$4.00 US for a Coke....post here for details if interested.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carioca Canuck:

$4.00 US for a Coke....post here for details if interested.
</font>
How interesting - I had the *opposite* experience the last time I was there. Opted for a 7 (yes seven)hour "connection" there on the way to IST.
Took the RER train into town, went shopping at FNAC and had a 3 course lunch with 1/2 carafe of wine (2 glasses) for around USD 10 (ten dollars!) including taxes and tip.
One of the best bookings I ever made.
Old Oct 9, 2001, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Got to be the most arbitrary statement yet.

Serves you right for going to Paris and ordering coke, bet you could get a glass of a nice Burgundy or Bordeaux for the same price.

Paris is one the most vibrant and wonderful cities in the world, with some of the greatest restaurants on the planet, though I suspect you might be rating them according to the hamburgers or hotdogs they serve.
Mike
Old Oct 10, 2001, 7:06 pm

30FF for a coke? I don't ever recall seeing a price that high, except for maybe in a hotel minibar. Those don't count though -- because they're high everywhere.

I was in France recently and found the prices to be extremely low compared to other places. 10FF seemed to be the going rate for a 330ml can of Coke.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 12:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UAL Premex
MIKESILV...

That was exactly what we did as a result...drank lots of fantastic wine instead.

Arbitrary...maybe...but most tourists I think, go someplace once, and then decide based on that one experience whether or not they'd like to go back. I am a little more open minded than that...but nonetheless...it wasn't cheap....I actually kept each receipt for every meal...etc...to show people back home because I didn't think anybody would believe me.

I never went to McDonald's either...

Paris was fantastic....just pricy IMO when it came to the two things a tourist usually does, which are eat and shop. IMO it makes it a trap. Zurich (which I have been to) and London (which I have not) are also reported to be even worse...I know Zurich sure was.

Spuddbrother...

Mini bars were that price...as were some of the restaurants. The cheapest I saw paid 20FF. Then again, staying in St. Germain and not knowing the cities selection of bars/cafes probably didn't help either.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old Oct 11, 2001, 5:34 pm
Suspended

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in France last Oct and really enjoyed it. Paris like most big cities can be expensive ( London much more so), but if you stay away from the real touristy areas, I generally found eating and drink cheaper than at home.
Sure you can spend $300.00 on a meal( which we did, only once though)We drink a fair amount of wine under normal conditions and I think we must had an average of three bottles per day.
Outside of Paris meals are even cheaper and found we were spending say 200FF (about $30) for a meal including wine, which we would have spent $70 to $100 or more at home.
If you drink the local wines especially in Bordeaux,the Loire Valley or in Burgundy you could get descent wines for about $5 per bottle. Never forgot seeing bottles of Cote de Rhone in wine shops in Avignon for 10FF = $1.50.
The cost of your coke, I suppose one could it compare to eating at say Disney World, it costs a fortune and some visitors think the, rest of the country is that expensive.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 10-11-2001).]
Old Oct 16, 2001, 3:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Carioca Canuck:
</font>
Trap---Trap---Trap!!! Look at the pigeons they caught here.

Old Nov 14, 2001, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
I just returned from my 8th trip to Paris (all leisure - yeah, like I will ever have a business trip to Paris). Yeah, Paris is always a good idea.

Every city in the world can be expensive or cheap depending on your preferences.

I've had $35US appetizer of five asparagus spears(yeah, that's how a meal can add up to $100US a person for the food portion) but i've also had awesome 5 course tasting menu for $35US per preson.

And yes - cokes/evian/etc is still 10FF out of a vending machine. And remember, prices at restaurants and cafes include tax and tip. So that's an automatic "discount" relative to US menu prices.

Old Nov 15, 2001, 9:10 am
Original Member

Soft drinks are much more expensive outside of North America... usually more expensive than beer.
Old Nov 19, 2001, 2:04 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
NO one should be caught dead drinking Coke anyway!
Old Nov 19, 2001, 4:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ROADRUNNER:
NO one should be caught dead drinking Coke anyway! </font>
Research from a major U.S. university shows almost conclusively that it's nearly impossible to drink Coke while dead.

Old Nov 25, 2001, 7:53 am

I live in New York and Paris is no more expensive than home. I also agree that when in Paris, drink plenty of wine because the quality is excellent even for their lower price wine from the region.

There are many a restaurant which will charge a moderate price for a meal in Paris. The hotels are also more affordable than many other cities such as SF, London, Zurich, etc...

Old Dec 25, 2001, 1:52 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Expensive, Expensive, Expensive...

Enjoyable, worth a trip back, Yes!

Will I consider this and compare other cities and affordability before returning, Yes!
Old Dec 27, 2001, 12:41 am

Ah Paree! The capital of the world, not just France. After over 35 visits, I have have never had an unpleasant time or seen a $4 coke, even when the US Dollar bought only 4 3/4 French francs rather than the current 7.3. For those interested, here's a website to acquaint you with details and photos of the new euro. &lt;www.visiteurope.com&gt;
Lou
Old Dec 27, 2001, 9:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
Ah Paree! The capital of the world, not just France. </font>
Perhaps for those who enjoy butter and cheese saturation, can bear more than a ounce of pretension and an atmosphere of anti-Anglo-Saxon paranoia, and don't mind the transport strike du jour, I suppose.

I, however, will pass. In fact, I refuse to fly through CDG or even through French airspace, when possible. After all, you never know when French ATC will get bored and decide to authorize a little extra vacation time for themselves on the spur of the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.