Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do aircraft cabins still have carpet and fabric upholstery ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:17 am
Original Poster

It is a well known fact that linoleum, PVC or other plastic floors are much more hygineical than carpet. The same applies to seats without carpet or other fabric upholstery. And, yet, aircraft cabins are full of these dust and even pests infested upholstery ? The same also applies to most long distance trains and luxury coaches. We have learned from the pandemic than hygiene is important. Are the cabins after a flight arrives at its final destination vacuumed or otherwise thoroughly cleaned during turnaround ?
And what about new planes ? Do they have more hygienic floors and seat upholstery ?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 11:24 am

I have hardwood floors upstairs and carpet in my basement...if I go a few days without cleaning my wood floors, you can tell. Meanwhile, I can probably not vacuum the carpet for a year, and you'd never know.

That's why they still have carpet.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by airsurfer
It is a well known fact that linoleum, PVC or other plastic floors are much more hygineical than carpet. The same applies to seats without carpet or other fabric upholstery. And, yet, aircraft cabins are full of these dust and even pests infested upholstery ? The same also applies to most long distance trains and luxury coaches. We have learned from the pandemic than hygiene is important. Are the cabins after a flight arrives at its final destination vacuumed or otherwise thoroughly cleaned during turnaround ?
And what about new planes ? Do they have more hygienic floors and seat upholstery ?
fire retardant, easier to clean, safer in an emergency (fumes)

are you eating off of the floor? Where are reports coming from of aircraft infested with pests (other than gate lice)?

Last edited by thelark; Jan 16, 2024 at 6:38 am
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:54 am

It is a well known fact that linoleum, PVC or other plastic floors are much more hygineical than carpet.
"hygineical?"
Sez who?
The same applies to seats without carpet or other fabric upholstery. And, yet, aircraft cabins are full of these dust and even pests infested upholstery ? The same also applies to most long distance trains and luxury coaches. We have learned from the pandemic than hygiene is important. Are the cabins after a flight arrives at its final destination vacuumed or otherwise thoroughly cleaned during turnaround ?
Five minutes of research would tell you why shutting people in a tube with PVC and minimal air circulation would be a very dangerous idea. I'd rather take my chances with dust than PVC fumes.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:52 am

Programs: *G
hard surfaces are terribly uncomfortable
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Some Swiss mountain trains have wooden benches. I can’t imagine how uncomfortable a flight wood(&#128522 be with slatted wood benches in place of seats.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
hard surfaces are terribly uncomfortable
And loud/echo-y.

Can you imagine 10 or 11 hours in an oil drum?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
​​​​​​​Noise is why there is carpet. As for fabric upholstery, cost and comfort.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Boarding via steps on a remote stand during wet weather would result in slippery floors if hard flooring was used instead of carpet.
LiHS likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
In addition to all the other responses, the bolded is wrong as well. What we learned from the panicky days of the pandemic was that wiping down surfaces because someone just touched it was a waste of time.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
OP would have lost it on old NW DC-9s with their cloth seat covers and if the sunlight hit the plane just right during boarding the huge cloud of dust blasted upwards as each butt slammed down would have caused some concerns... but this was 2002-ish so nobody cared.

Pleather seat covers are sweaty and gross, but that's what we have now because cheap and easy to clean in case of occupant leakage.
PlaneSpeaking and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:57 am

“Occupant leakage” aaaahahahaha
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by solotrvl
“Occupant leakage” aaaahahahaha
No charge!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:23 pm

I'm glad that I don't live in OP's sterile but hard-surfaced world.

Besides comfort, soft surfaces reflect sound less. I imagine a clean, hard-surfaced, and loudER airplane.
DenverBrian, wrp96 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
In addition to sound suppression and traction, as referenced above, carpets also provide temperature insulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.