Reload this Page >

Travel solutions for low carry on weight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel solutions for low carry on weight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
This is the bag I've carried for about 1500 kilometers in my walks around 17 islands in the past three years. It is very lightweight and it holds more than it looks like it will: https://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Pac...ef=sr_1_5?th=1
Originally Posted by GoBob
I wanted to give a quick shout for this recommendation. What a great bag. I bought it and took it on a week- long trip recently. I really liked the front pocket for my toiletry bag and the backpack seemed to expand for nearly everything I added. The material is incredibly light and appears durable. Thanks again for suggesting.
I went to this link and there are two models, 20L and 33L. In the specs section when I change from one size to the other the dimensions stay the same, although the weight changes. I'm looking for a personal item, the under seat bag. Will both of these qualify or just the smaller one?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty
I went to this link and there are two models, 20L and 33L. In the specs section when I change from one size to the other the dimensions stay the same, although the weight changes. I'm looking for a personal item, the under seat bag. Will both of these qualify or just the smaller one?
That's a big unknown. Every carrier (and in many cases, every different configured aircraft) is essentially "different" under the seat. Different manufacturers have the support legs at different positions, some have IFE controls either to the side or just hanging on the "seat"... then there are the dimensions permitted by the carrier. But in terms of your comments, the dimensions must be different (unless it has a zipper expansion) or someone did a cut and paste error.

I've found AliExpress has a few good "smallish" packs that should fit under most seats. But confirming that is another story. I can't find the one I have, but it's good enough to hold my snacks and meds (if I don't keep them in my backpack)
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:10 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Thanks. On the Amazon page, under Product Information the size did not change. There's so much information on those pages, but eventually I founf the different sizes. 20L: Unfold: 16.92x10.63x7.08 inches, 33L: Unfold: 19x13x8.2 inches.

United, for example, says 9 in x 10 in x 17 in .

Last edited by dwcatty; Mar 26, 2024 at 9:12 am Reason: United add
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Laundry, by hand or hotel and lightweight clothing. Several brands my DH and I like to travel with: Lululemon. Kuhl, Anatomie (mostly womens’). Anatomie, especially makes literally, tissue-weight pants and jackets. I can fit 6-7 pairs of pants into a page-sized packing cube ( also tissue-weight) - not that I would ever need that many pants on 1 trip. But they wash easily by hand and dry in in a couple of hours or more quickly by hair dryer! If you need warmth underneath then silk under-garment layers work well.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
CABIN ZERO 44 liter backpack comes in at 760 grams. I have 2 exactly for the reasons in the OP. Did an Indonesia trip on LCC and they were strict about weights. Also black thin long pants, usually Patagonia or Mountain hardware. MSFT Surface with Intel for light gaming etc is lighter than a Mac Air. The travel shoes are heavy but Sketchers black for "informal" stuff are very light. Laundry in the sink if I can't get it done elsewhere. We do 5-6 international trips a year. This coming May 1 to June 16, All carry on. Maldives to India to Malaysia to Indonesia to Kimberly to Sydney to Fiji then home. Also second the Outlander packable backpack.

CabinZero® Official Site - Packs & Bags For Your Hassle-free Journey
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had to take a very oversized “bag” of very long equipment and somehow bring my own things along for a three day trip to Venice. This was effectively a courier trip and, to lessen costs further, I took a Ryanair flight back on their basic fare - this allowed for a 40x20x25cm bag, equivalent to 20litres. On the way back, half of this allowance was taken up by gifts and candy for the child I left behind and the friends who she stayed with.

I managed this by using a couple of compression cubes. Beauty of these (mine are from Peak Design - gift from my husband who has a serious bag fetish) is that they are incredibly light and, once packed and compressed shut, you can use as flimsy a bag as you want to carry them. Packed, the compression cubes become sturdy and have all the structure you need.
Once uncompressed, they are as roomy and easy to look through and extract things from as any standard “cube”, when it’s time to go, zip ‘em up tight and slide them in your carry bag.
I loathe being cold so I always pack a down gilet and a down scarf as well as whatever coat/waterproof I’ll be wearing to get on the plane. Beauty of these down items is that they roll up and squeeze into absolutely nothing and weigh mere ounces. I even took a down blanket which can be worn as a cape this time just in case the accommodation got chilly at night.
barb64 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Carry on might be feasible for short 5 day trips in summer but it’s not going to work for trips in winter or which span different climate zones. Bite the bullet and do the sociable thing by not cluttering up the plane with all your worldly possessions.
I've done carry-on only for longer trips in winter. Generally my plan is to carry a light raincoat, and buy an umbrella in-country and give it away on leaving.

Also, may I second the suggestion on page 1 about using laundries in Asia (and I guess other places as well). Usually quick and easy. I'm in a hotel room in Bali now and this thread prompted me to check out local laundries. I note this coin laundry about 800 metres away from my hotel.

I've also used coin laundries in New Zealand, and they must be everywhere.

I've also used hotels in-house clothes washing service frequently. Generally I aim to be able to wash once every 4-5 days.

Also, well up-thread there are recommendations for lighter clothes. I have some thin linen-like long trousers I bought from Primark in the UK that fold up really small, but look reasonable. They aren't formal clothing, but they work.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer
I don't understand the last post. In Bali and Southeast Asia, you can pay someone to take a large bag of clothes and wash them for you, and return them all ironed and folded.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by MajulahMadooba
I don't understand the last post. In Bali and Southeast Asia, you can pay someone to take a large bag of clothes and wash them for you, and return them all ironed and folded.
Yes, you can do that and I have. But, I've just noticed a coin laundry near my hotel and I can use that too.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:43 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer
Adding Southeast Asia ex Singapore here isn't helpful. It's dirt cheap to have laundry done complete with folding, ironing and delivery back to hotel (even dry cleaning) to the point no one wastes time waiting at a laundromat. It's so hot and sunny you can even wash non-iron clothes readily in your hotel especially if there's a balcony. But then you also need more clothes because you sweat, and on the flip side there is no need obviously for outerwear. And then you have even full service airlines weighing your carry on zealously.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by MajulahMadooba
Adding Southeast Asia ex Singapore here isn't helpful. It's dirt cheap to have laundry done complete with folding, ironing and delivery back to hotel (even dry cleaning) to the point no one wastes time waiting at a laundromat. It's so hot and sunny you can even wash non-iron clothes readily in your hotel especially if there's a balcony. But then you also need more clothes because you sweat, and on the flip side there is no need obviously for outerwear. And then you have even full service airlines weighing your carry on zealously.
I can easily walk to a laundromat, stuff my clothes into a washer dryer, add coins, and wait. I don't see why you think this is an unattractive option. It takes time to do other options as well.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by eng3
I travel internationally alot for VACATION. Maybe 4 times a year or more. One issue that has become more and more of an issue is carry-on luggage. In the US, it is nice that no one weighs your bag. I can always pack enough in my bag for a trip.
Once arriving internationally, I often have to take shorter flights on airlines who have ridiculously low carry-on baggage WEIGHT limitations. 10kg, 7kg. My lightest carry-on bag is around 3-4kg empty. Some even include your personal/laptop bag in that limit.

Some "solutions":
1. Find a lighter bag. I'm the type of person that buys a cheap bag with a good pair of wheels and just uses it until it breaks. Usually the airline replaces it. I've seen some that are a little lighter but are vey expensive and I don't think I will ever pay "hundreds" for a bag. I also only like two wheel soft sided bags and it seems like baggage companies are focusing on 4 wheel hard sided bags. Maybe a duffel bag would be lighter but I want something I can roll.
2. Laundry: Hotel laundry is usually prohibitively expensive
3. In-room Self-Laundry: This can sometimes work. This may allow me to half the weight. I've run into some issues though. Many in-room machines in europe/asia are washer/dryer combination units with no exhaust. These dryers can only dry a few articles of clothing and take forever. Some destinations just don't offer this or the room is much much more expensive or in a poor location
4. Laundromat: I've tried this at times. When there is one close to your hotel it's nice, but this is not always the case. Also, you have to sit there and wait for your laundry so it eats into time to actually enjoy your trip
5. Hand wash: Maybe I'm doing it wrong but when I hang dry the clothes (mostly cotton) they get very stiff. I'm also not too sure how well it actually cleans it. It takes a long time to dry as well. I don't dare try this with jeans.
6. Check in bags: This can be costly if you have many flights. There is wasted time and risk of loss/delay which can ruin a trip. Also, sometimes I do an intl-intl self-connect which would be difficult to impossible if I checked my bag.
7. Wear dirty clothes: I've tried this too. In the winter months its not too bad as I don't sweat much. Though I usually have to pack more layers in winter which increases weight. In summer months, my clothes get sweaty so I really don't want to wear again.
8. Just chance it: Sure, it is rare for them to actually weight your bag, especially if you can skip the check in counter but it only takes one time where someone at the gate catches you and makes you pay or ruins your trip.

Is there anything you're doing that I haven't listed above that works for you?
1. I recommend the "S" size of this https://www.primark.com/en-us/p/it-l...k-999214251804 easily found at almost any primark in Europe. I don't think you can buy it on itluggage's website directly. It's super light and ever since they upgraded the wheels, I have zero complaints about it. I've on my third - and so far no complaints about this one The first two broke after I consistently overstuffed it, but they're very usable. There's a tiny problem with its handle that may come up, but that's easily fixable by yourself.
2-5. I don't like washing my stuff, but that's always an option in the sink for underwear/undershirts. Either you use a washer and hang things up to dry (dryers are not a thing in many parts of the world - you just hang up your clothes on a rack or on hangers). A laundromat works fine too. Nothing stopping you from going to a nearby cafe to enjoy a coffee, or have dinner nearby while the clothes are washing.
6. I don't like to do that.
7. No.
8. Usually, if you skip the check-in counter, nobody will bother with the weight, although they may bother with dimensions. Some airlines do have scales at the gate. If you're an elite, usually they won't bother you with the weight. You can always put heavy things in your jacket (and wear it) and reduce the weight to under the desired limit.
>> 9. Some things you can just buy at the destination. See what you really need and what you really use. Make a list of things that you packed, and check it off when you use it on a few trips. See what you don't need to pack next time.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
1. I recommend the "S" size of this https://www.primark.com/en-us/p/it-l...k-999214251804 easily found at almost any primark in Europe. I don't think you can buy it on itluggage's website directly. It's super light and ever since they upgraded the wheels, I have zero complaints about it. I've on my third - and so far no complaints about this one
What are the actual dimensions (including wheels) of the S version of this case? Doesn’t say on the website, and, as you noted, can’t be found on the IT website.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
What are the actual dimensions (including wheels) of the S version of this case? Doesn’t say on the website, and, as you noted, can’t be found on the IT website.
It fits within FR's dimensions, but let me measure it and get back to you.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:42 am

21" x 13.5" (14" with the handle, which can be pushed in a bit) x 7.5 "
53.5 cm x 34.5cm x 19 cm

It fits Scoot's bag requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.