Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel solutions for low carry on weight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Carry on might be feasible for short 5 day trips in summer but it’s not going to work for trips in winter or which span different climate zones. Bite the bullet and do the sociable thing by not cluttering up the plane with all your worldly possessions.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:38 am

Programs: USA UAL DAL
4 more strategies

1 Weigh each piece of clothing and choose the lighter ones to travel with. Wear the heaviest items for the flight to reduce baggage weight at check in. Look at ultra-light shoes

2 Focus on fiber content. Some great ones like merino wool and technical pants have already been mentioned up thread. Linen dries super fast. Knit modal and silk for t-shirts or sweaters both dry faster than cotton ime and can weigh less to much less

3 Layer up for the flight. You can wear more than one shirt at a time. One trip I even wore skinny pants under baggier pants (an 4 shirts). Yes that's extreme lol - short CLT connection and I knew I'd be carrying partner's luggage plus mine for the sprint.

4 Buy cheap clothes at your destination and donate them before coming home. Cost and time likely same or worse than checked luggage but at least it is a cultural experience?
polkacat and willoL like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: DL, B6
A couple more thoughts - I never check. I just did a week in Europe with kids and I took an Eastpak backpack. Each kid had a backpack and my wife had a rolling duffel. We all carried on and that included two RyanAir flights with no trouble.

For longer trips, I have a 20+ year old eBag that's a soft side suitcase with packable straps.

If you need wheels, the rolling duffel works (be sure to measure, you can fudge a few in/cm as needed and usually get away with it, but don't overdo it). We also had a stowable wheelie from American Tourister in years past where it folded down to about a foot square and when opened worked like a normal wheelie when you attached it to a duffel or similar. No special attachments, just used hooks and bungee cords, cost like $20 and lasted several years (till I tried to use it on a full bankers box during an office move).

One other thought: two bags. Put the heavier stuff in a small roller (you'll still have to pay that overhead carry on charge with RyanAir for instance) and then have a lighter backpack for the other stuff, which goes under the seat. And pay for the 10 euro seats up front - you'll probably have space next to you to spread out once boarding is done.

Keys on clothing:

-not for everyone, but I take old socks and underwear on a trip and discard them as I use them, so my pack gets lighter as I travel

-multiuse is your friend. Big fan of merino wool and tech pants and shirts, as previously mentioned. Get a $20 pair of khaki tech pants at TJ Maxx and you're good to go. If they stain, you can wash them in the hotel sink with shampoo and they dry overnight. Works winter or summer. All of my shorts for summer are tech so washing out sweat stains in the same method overnight is not problem. I prefer LL Bean because they usually have extra secure pockets and a nylon belt, but you can get generic $10 pairs on Amazon. I've also seen name brands at Costco for cheap.

-a while back, I had a pair of Merrell hikers that has built in sandals as insoles. You could pop them out and use them at the beach etc. Good for multi-environment travel.

-probably goes without saying but wear your heaviest or bulkiest stuff on the plane. I hear you about lav smell but a couple hours in fresh air usually does wonders.

-find a wash and fold laundry. Even in a small town in Italy where no one spoke English this summer during an extended trip, we found an overnight service via Google maps. For probably 20 lbs of laundry, the cost was around 15 euros and it was probably the best thing we did comfort wise on the trip.

Finally, I'd just suggest you not overthink it. To each his own of course, but I don't get into weighing things and, if you forget something or need something, you're on vacation and buying a new shirt can be part of the experience. I try not to let what I'm lugging around detract from the trip. Good luck....

​​
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Like you, I only do carryon and here is how I deal with the issue.

1. I always book business or first where the carryon allowances tends to be a bit more generous. More often than not this works, but then there are stations like Lufthansa gate agents at Budapest with whom you have to fight because they insist on checking the size of your carryon and weighing it. you have to be prepared with connection arguments and threats of employing EU261.

2. I pack throw away clothes that I discard when I take them off and so don't have worry about laundry and bringing them back home. Here's how I do it:
There are shirts that have frayed out at the collars or have tears elsewhere. Normally, you would throw them in the garbage. I don't. I save them for my trips. I wear them and then discard them. No laundry needed.

3. I wear 100% cotton undershirts as I tend to sweat a bit. Like above, I pack those that I would have discarded at home, wear them as they absorb substantial amounts of sweat and reduce the need for laundering any shirts. Once worn, they are discarded as well.

4. I visited the orthopedic surgeon once and discovered that there are disposable shorts. The first thing I did when I got home was to order a pack. I wear them around the hotel, lying at the pool, etc and discard them when I am done. As they are light, they take up a lot less room than normal clothes in the luggage.

5. I am sure you are already acquainted with proper coordination of outfits and so pack items that can go with everything.

6 I more often than not, book lounge level at hotels. Hotels like some Ritz provide one complimentary free laundry service for the duration of your stay. If the property does offer and I am on a 7 day trip as an example. I pack enough only for 4 days and have the hotel laundry service take care of the laundry on the 4th day for all the clothes I have worn on day 1-3. You can adjust accordingly.

7. Pack only what you need and intend to wear and do not pack for what ifs.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by babystepper
4 more strategies

1 Weigh each piece of clothing and choose the lighter ones to travel with. Wear the heaviest items for the flight to reduce baggage weight at check in. Look at ultra-light shoes

2 Focus on fiber content. Some great ones like merino wool and technical pants have already been mentioned up thread. Linen dries super fast. Knit modal and silk for t-shirts or sweaters both dry faster than cotton ime and can weigh less to much less

3 Layer up for the flight. You can wear more than one shirt at a time. One trip I even wore skinny pants under baggier pants (an 4 shirts). Yes that's extreme lol - short CLT connection and I knew I'd be carrying partner's luggage plus mine for the sprint.

4 Buy cheap clothes at your destination and donate them before coming home. Cost and time likely same or worse than checked luggage but at least it is a cultural experience?
I'm very partial to that last suggestion. Even if you only buy a couple of shirts and maybe one pair of pants, you've just multiplied the number of clothing combinations you can wear. There are generally retailers at most destinations that sell reasonably good looking but cheap clothing that is easy to donate at the end of the trip.

One other suggestion: I generally consider three days the max I'll avoid repeating an outfit. It's easy to think that everyone will think they've seen you in the same outfit before, but truly, no one really notices, and on most vacations, unless I'm setting up shop for a week or so at a resort, you won't see the same group of people for more than three days in a row. Implied in all of this is a bias towards functional clothing in colors and patterns that can easily be mixed and matched. I don't worry too much about fashion anymore as it seems there are few places that really enforce any sort of dress code.

In room washing helps--I generally have at least one "tech" set of shirt/pants/underwear/socks that I can wash and wear easily. In addition to the towel, I will use any available hair dryer to speed up drying my clothes and do that washing before going to dinner so that everything's ready to go the following morning. And use Google Maps to find convenient laundromats near your location. Many laundromats now have drop off/pick up service at a reasonable price, allowing you to spend your vacation seeing your destination rather than spending several hours seeing the inside of a laundromat.

Using these ideas, I took a six-week trip to Scotland and only needed one bag and my computer bag. That's more than you're seeking to use, but that's a long trip with very little stuff. Sometimes when I'm traveling, I'm amazed at the folks with a rollaboard and two or three checked bags. I could not handle all that junk on a trip.

And to echo other comments, wheels and structure are nice, but they certainly come at a cost in weight that you must accommodate in how much you can pack--otherwise, you may be stuck checking a bag.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:43 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I'm very partial to that last suggestion. Even if you only buy a couple of shirts and maybe one pair of pants, you've just multiplied the number of clothing combinations you can wear. There are generally retailers at most destinations that sell reasonably good looking but cheap clothing that is easy to donate at the end of the trip.

One other suggestion: I generally consider three days the max I'll avoid repeating an outfit. It's easy to think that everyone will think they've seen you in the same outfit before, but truly, no one really notices, and on most vacations, unless I'm setting up shop for a week or so at a resort, you won't see the same group of people for more than three days in a row. Implied in all of this is a bias towards functional clothing in colors and patterns that can easily be mixed and matched. I don't worry too much about fashion anymore as it seems there are few places that really enforce any sort of dress code.
Fascinating. why people live their lives to impress strangers I have always found amazing. Such is the least of my concerns. It's all about the smell of the clothing for me. If smells of sweat etc. I simply cannot wear it.
lwildernorva likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
My solution is a smaller carry-on. When gate agents are weighing bags they tend to focus on the max-sized. More than once my seriously overweight roller has been waved through.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I'll take a look. I only see one two wheel option that's a small under-seater.

I guess I'm use to cotton wearing the same t-shirts forever. I have a few poly-blend shirts but I find I sweat in them more. I'll take a look at other clothing options. Washing in sink with other materials might be a good idea. Especially with pants.

I'm of the opinion that anything that enters an airplane lav needs to be washed. I can usually smell it on my clothes. So for a long haul flight, at least two pants. I agree that jeans can generally be worn longer without washing. Underwear and socks are light so I can easily bring enough of that.
My tshirts are somewhat light but as I said, it depends. If I'm going to be sweating through the shirt every day because it's the hot summer, then I want to change shirts daily. Depending on the hotel, sometimes they are still a little damp the next morning. I've tried using the hotel hair dryer. It takes a while but sometimes I might get another day out of it.
I was raised on a farm, so if I haven't actually fallen in the manure I'm good. Americans are way, way too germaphobic. If you can smell your jeans, air them out. Do you put them in a sealed plastic bag?
Georgia Peach likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 8:51 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I have been weight conscious about luggage because I don't want to schlep that much, not because of airline limits.

I got a reasonably lightweight soft side carry on from Wal Mart (!) for less than $50. A few other purchasers of that model said that the seams unraveled but I have not had that problem (yet) and also clear nail polish can stop the unraveling of seams. That one carry on plus a cloth shopping bag a little smaller thanf a briefcase is enough for a 2 week non-business trip including a laptop computer.

I find that jeans make me sweat more so I don't wear them when traveling in warm weather. Indirectly saves my having to wash shirts and other stuff as often..

Last edited by AllanJ; Jan 13, 2024 at 8:57 pm
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ft101
Checking bags is not a waste of time if you manage your time better. Instead of being out of the airport 20 minutes quicker, do something during the wait that'll otherwise take you 20 minutes later in the day. Cost wise you have to work out how many times you estimate you will get caught and pay a premium for gate checking against the cost to check it in upfront and see which you think is better.

Very occasionally a bag will get delayed. If you're heading home that's not an issue but if you're travelling look on it as an opportunity to spend the airline's money on new stuff for yourself. Always have a change of underwear and a t-shirt in your carry on to tide you over.

The self connect risk can't be helped unless you chose routes where it's not required, but if you're that close timewise then a small delay in your incoming is going to make you miss the next one anyway. That's probably a greater danger in your plan, particularly with LCCs.
There are not always enough hours in a day. 20min is the minimum for bags, it's often longer. 20+min lost comes out of somewhere, the time is still lost. Sometimes it means the difference between catching the hourly bus or not. Business/attractions closes at specific times so it may mean 20min less time there. In the end, it may mean 20min less sleep. Still lost time, not more efficient.

Costwise, I'm never "caught" since my bag always meets the rules. That's the whole issue. I have often contemplated if I should just start ignoring the rules and eat the cost at the gate since it is pretty rare that one actually checks weight. My bag is always the right size. I haven't done the math on that.

Even when not self connecting, when returning the the US, if I am onward connecting, I must wait for my bag vs continuing to my connection. It seems to ALWAYS take at least 30min. I've missed connections due to this (though in one case I earned 600EUR + airline compensation because of it).

Some destinations do not have many flight options. Sometimes self-connection is the only practical option. I don't seek it out, but it happens sometimes. At some airports, checking a bag can add over an hour to your connection time. At the very least, alot of added risk.

Yes, I could avoid all of this if I "choose". Booking all on one airline even if the cost is 2-3X. Booking premium cabins to get another carry-on (though some destinations don't offer this option). Increasing the length of my trips and always adding an overnight stay to avoid any self-connect risk. Adding more days to my trip to make up for lost time/opportunies. Well there's a hotel cost, work/vacation usage cost. Some trips would not be feasible since I may not have that many consecutive days available. There are many times where it would be more practical to just bring a carryon instead of checking a bag. This is a somewhat new issue as weights get ridiculously low. I've been doing this for years and it's only the past couple years where I've run into this issue. And it's not just the LCC.

Anyways, I made this thread to look for NEW solutions that I'm not already doing. checking bags is on my list already.
pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by eng3; Jan 14, 2024 at 3:22 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AllanJ
I have been weight conscious about luggage because I don't want to schlep that much, not because of airline limits.

I got a reasonably lightweight soft side carry on from Wal Mart (!) for less than $50. A few other purchasers of that model said that the seams unraveled but I have not had that problem (yet) and also clear nail polish can stop the unraveling of seams. That one carry on plus a cloth shopping bag a little smaller thanf a briefcase is enough for a 2 week non-business trip including a laptop computer.

I find that jeans make me sweat more so I don't wear them when traveling in warm weather. Indirectly saves my having to wash shirts and other stuff as often..
Which bag? How heavy is it?

Originally Posted by Heyden
My solution is a smaller carry-on. When gate agents are weighing bags they tend to focus on the max-sized. More than once my seriously overweight roller has been waved through.
I've thought about starting this approach. I've actually never had an agent weigh my bag at the gate. Only at checkin. Some airlines dont offer OLCI so there is that risk. They'll weigh any bag whatever size sometimes.

Originally Posted by AJNEDC

1. I always book business or first where the carryon allowances tends to be a bit more generous. More often than not this works, but then there are stations like Lufthansa gate agents at Budapest with whom you have to fight because they insist on checking the size of your carryon and weighing it. you have to be prepared with connection arguments and threats of employing EU261.

2. I pack throw away clothes that I discard when I take them off and so don't have worry about laundry and bringing them back home. Here's how I do it:
There are shirts that have frayed out at the collars or have tears elsewhere. Normally, you would throw them in the garbage. I don't. I save them for my trips. I wear them and then discard them. No laundry needed.

3. I wear 100% cotton undershirts as I tend to sweat a bit. Like above, I pack those that I would have discarded at home, wear them as they absorb substantial amounts of sweat and reduce the need for laundering any shirts. Once worn, they are discarded as well.

4. I visited the orthopedic surgeon once and discovered that there are disposable shorts. The first thing I did when I got home was to order a pack. I wear them around the hotel, lying at the pool, etc and discard them when I am done. As they are light, they take up a lot less room than normal clothes in the luggage.

5. I am sure you are already acquainted with proper coordination of outfits and so pack items that can go with everything.

6 I more often than not, book lounge level at hotels. Hotels like some Ritz provide one complimentary free laundry service for the duration of your stay. If the property does offer and I am on a 7 day trip as an example. I pack enough only for 4 days and have the hotel laundry service take care of the laundry on the 4th day for all the clothes I have worn on day 1-3. You can adjust accordingly.

Booking business can be costly and isnt always an option. Some destinations dont offer this. Throwaway is ok but eventually the cost adds up. I do try to have a hotel or airbnb in the middle of my stay with laundry but sometimes it isnt an option. Hotel laundry or booking a hotel with it can be very costly too.
I suppose of cost is not an issue, all those are good options.

Originally Posted by GoBob
A couple more thoughts - I never check. I just did a week in Europe with kids and I took an Eastpak backpack. Each kid had a backpack and my wife had a rolling duffel. We all carried on and that included two RyanAir flights with no trouble..... To each his own of course, but I don't get into weighing things and, if you forget something or need something, you're on vacation and buying a new shirt can be part of the experience. I try not to let what I'm lugging around detract from the trip. Good luck....
​​
Ryan air doesnt even allow a carryon (one that goes above) without an extra fee. With a fee, you can carry an extra 10kg bag.
Some airlines are not this generous. I know one airline limit your personal + cabin bag has to be below 6kg.
Was the backpack small enough to fit under your seat. If it was, I guess you were fine. If not, you don't weight your bag so you dont know if you would have been within policy. Getting away with it doesnt mean you were.
Though I've been thinking maybe I'll try give up trying to stay in policy considering they very rarely weight backs and just eat the cost when I'm caught.

Originally Posted by babystepper
4 more strategies

I have actually tried weighing each article of clothing and only taking the lightest. I also try to time it so I wear the heaviest article of clothing for the flights where weight is an issue but this is harder to do sometimes.

I'll have to look at other materials and see if it is const effective.

I've often though about throwing away clothes and buying new ones. Layering isnt always practical. If it cause me to sweat through my clothes, then I can't wear them another day. My clothes are generally pretty cheap (ie. walmart) so for the baggage cost, I could just throw away clothes and buy new ones. However two issues. I have some 10yr old walmart clothes that are still fine because they were made better (thicker) back then. And clothes cost more these days for less. Also, most places I go don't have a walmart like place nearby for me to buy clothes. The amount of time wasted to buy clothes would be far more than the time waiting for a checked bag.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
... Bite the bullet and do the sociable thing by not cluttering up the plane with all your worldly possessions.
All your worldly possessions weight less than 7kg - the weight of a bag?
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: DL, B6
Re RyanAir - correct, you can pay for an overhead carryon. Of our five on our recent trip, we paid for one (the rolling duffel). The other four fit under the seat in front of us. The bottom line is, travel is a series of tradeoffs these days. If you want to carry on an LCC and bring more than a backpack, you need to pay. I think it was 26 euro for the cabin carryon. When you add that to a one euro seats reservation and a 30 euro fare, you're still possible hundreds ahead of the cost of a legacy carrier fare, and you've accomplished your goals- direct flight, carry on, low cost.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 6:28 pm

There are not always enough hours in a day. 20min is the minimum for bags, it's often longer. 20+min lost comes out of somewhere, the time is still lost. Sometimes it means the difference between catching the hourly bus or not. Business/attractions closes at specific times so it may mean 20min less time there. In the end, it may mean 20min less sleep. Still lost time, not more efficient.
Your points regarding missing a bus or attractions closing are valid, but the efficiency argument (good time management) debunked the "HBO because it saves time" argument a long while back.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:29 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by AJNEDC

Booking Ritz Club fare to avoid paying for laundry; booking business or first to avoid checking in luggage; meanwhile having to wear torn or frayed clothing for the trip... is an interesting strategy.
EU261 provides the customer protection against delays and cancellations. In this context, who is deploying the threat against whom and how?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Which bag? How heavy is it?
Mine is from the "Protege" line at Wal Mart. I chose it because it fitted in Delta's 22 x 14 x 9 inch sizer frame with less wasted space undeneath for the wheels. (Although overall weight as we are discussing here might be exceeded before the interior fills up.)

I don't recall the exact weight but I was comparing the advertised empty weights of various models back then. I I went soft sided because the hard sided ones were heavier.

For another, earlier, trip I was checking the carry on requirements for some foreign (China) airlines for a group tour.The dimensions were a lot smaller. I managed to find a carry on that almost perfectly fit the requirments; it was a child's piece from Target. On the trip I found that most of the other members of the tour brought on bigger carry ons and the airline staff did not check size or weight.

Last edited by AllanJ; Jan 15, 2024 at 6:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.