Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your travel OCD?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Repooc17
As early of flight times as possible, think 6am or earlier.
Yikes. The only thing worse than the earliest flight of the day is the last flight of the day (due to the greater chance of delays or cancellations). I am a bad sleeper on my best day, and setting an alarm for 3:30 AM to get to the airport by 4:45 or so basically means I won't sleep at all. And I can't sleep on planes, so an early morning flight just means a rotten first day of the trip.

I'm glad I no longer have to worry about getting the cheapest flight.
moondog and mtofell like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I am a bad sleeper on my best day, and setting an alarm for 3:30 AM to get to the airport by 4:45 or so basically means I won't sleep at all. And I can't sleep on planes, so an early morning flight just means a rotten first day of the trip.
Wow, can I relate to this.... I'm exactly the same! Who are these lucky humans that can just fall asleep the minute they sit down in their seat??? I live in Maui and travel to the west coast a lot and have had many nights before flying to Hawaii where I wake up at 2AM on the west coast (11PM in Hawaii) and can't get back to sleep.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Yikes. The only thing worse than the earliest flight of the day is the last flight of the day (due to the greater chance of delays or cancellations). I am a bad sleeper on my best day, and setting an alarm for 3:30 AM to get to the airport by 4:45 or so basically means I won't sleep at all. And I can't sleep on planes, so an early morning flight just means a rotten first day of the trip.

I'm glad I no longer have to worry about getting the cheapest flight.
Nothing about the cheapest flight, as often it's not cheap at all

It sets me up right for the day. Early morning flights are less prone to delays, and I don't have to get in the day/night before meaning I can have more time at home.

I live close to the airport, so I am not leaving until 1-1.5 hrs from departures. At destination, I am usually at an airport hotels, I leave for airports even later. I don't get to airports 2-3 hours early.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
Being prepared and packing.... My routine is simple: I pack in one step. Whether it's two days before I leave or 20 minutes, I do it one time so I don't forget anything. Dragging out packing over days is a recipe for forgetting something. I can usually pack in <15 minutes from start to finish (assuming things like laundry are done). My wife on the other hand is a trainwreck and every trip together with her starts with us leaving the house (late) and her screaming and hysterical... and usually forgetting something major. Her last trip I had to Fed Ex her LAPTOP to her....LOL. How on earth does one forget that?

Anyway, I suppose my OCD is packing/planning. I'm also kind of a nut about getting to the airport early but a lot of that is that I actually enjoy hanging out and having a coffee or drink in the lounge (and have to build in a large buffer for previously mentioned wife).
I keep a "travel backpack" that's my carry on item that is always packed with my various travel items and full duplicate set of everything I need to support my electronics (chargers, cables, adapters, etc), plus passport, so I never have to move them back and forth among my daily work bag and travel bag. Then all I have to do is pack clothes (either same bag or a second bag) and throw the electronics into the travel bag and it's ready to go.
madmanshoney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.