Wiki Posts
Search

Shout-out to a well-designed hotel bathroom

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Shout-out to a well-designed hotel bathroom

Thank you, Residence Inn Seattle Sea-Tac, for having: (1) a walk-in shower in which the faucet handle is just inside the glass door—on the opposite side from the showerhead—so that you can turn the water on without having to go all the way into the shower to do it, getting doused with cold water before you can leap out of the way, (2) shampoo/conditioner/bath gel bottles that have printing large enough to be deciphered without reading glasses, (3) not one but two capacious shelves in the shower stall to hold whatever you might want to put on them, plus a wire mesh shelf for the soap (4) nice bright lighting, (5) a separate switch for the not-too-loud fan, and (6) plenty of room on the vanity so you can not only put your washbag and toiletries on there, but also not have them get splashed with water from the sink.

It’s the little things!
lamphs, willoL, RK23 and 11 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travelmad478
(1) a walk-in shower in which the faucet handle is just inside the glass door—on the opposite side from the showerhead—so that you can turn the water on without having to go all the way into the shower to do it, getting doused with cold water before you can leap out of the way,
I've seen this a few times, in newer built/renovated hotels. Agreed that its a "nice" feature, that shouldn't be; should be the standard.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I recently went to a hotel that had the hot and cold reversed in the shower. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I could not get a hot shower.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Super Mario
I recently went to a hotel that had the hot and cold reversed in the shower. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I could not get a hot shower.
Incompetent plumber who didn't care. Lame hotel management who didn't care to fix the misteak.

David
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed in a hotel where the fixed glass wall in the walk-in shower had a hole in so you could reach in and turn on the shower. It took me awhile to figure that out. I just looked at it, thinking "why is there a hole in the wall?" before I thought, "that's brilliant!"
Old Jul 3, 2023, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
It's nice to get the water to the right temp before getting into the shower. My second biggest hotel bathroom pet peeve is bathroom light switches outside of the bathroom. No biggie when on the road solo, but obnoxious when you wake up every occupant in the room just to use the bathroom at night.
strickerj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
It's nice to get the water to the right temp before getting into the shower. My second biggest hotel bathroom pet peeve is bathroom light switches outside of the bathroom. No biggie when on the road solo, but obnoxious when you wake up every occupant in the room just to use the bathroom at night.
How about "motion detector" light switches that are *in* the bathroom, but can't 'see' into the shower - so the light goes out every 3 1/2 minutes and you have to lean out and wave your arms to get it to turn back on?

I've run into a couple of those.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
How about "motion detector" light switches that are *in* the bathroom, but can't 'see' into the shower - so the light goes out every 3 1/2 minutes and you have to lean out and wave your arms to get it to turn back on?

For some reason, I see a Dilbert cartoon with Dilbert frantically waving his arms and a catastrophic event at the end.

David
Sweetone and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

I have had this kind of issue at gym bathrooms — including some hotel gym bathrooms — but not yet in the bathrooms of my hotel rooms. Which hotels had bathrooms like that? Sounds like a recipe for some guests to get injured coming out of a bathtub.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thank you, Residence Inn Seattle Sea-Tac, for having: (1) a walk-in shower in which the faucet handle is just inside the glass door—on the opposite side from the showerhead—so that you can turn the water on without having to go all the way into the shower to do it, getting doused with cold water before you can leap out of the way, (2) shampoo/conditioner/bath gel bottles that have printing large enough to be deciphered without reading glasses, (3) not one but two capacious shelves in the shower stall to hold whatever you might want to put on them, plus a wire mesh shelf for the soap (4) nice bright lighting, (5) a separate switch for the not-too-loud fan, and (6) plenty of room on the vanity so you can not only put your washbag and toiletries on there, but also not have them get splashed with water from the sink.

It’s the little things!
My absolute pet hate too is when the taps are set right under the shower head.

I was just at a hotel that had the absolute WORST shampoo. I don't say shampoo AND conditioner because no matter how many times I asked for conditioner they didn't continue to bring it. So I washed my hair in the equivalent of dish washing liquid. I had straw hair that was as rough as sandpaper! I was saved when my friend gave me some super nice Kerastase.

I hate double vanities when it means that there is no room to put your toiletries. Who really ever uses a skin at the exact same time as your partner.

I just had my first visit to a few European countries and have found that they have no idea what soft toilet paper is. The Aussie stuff is perfection on your privates!

I was just at a hotel that had a heated towel rail and floor. Loved it!

One of my favourite bathrooms was the Park Hyatt in Cambodia. Near Ankor Wat.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My pet peeve is shower heads that are too short. I’m only 5’10” and if I have to bend my knees to not hit my head, it’s too damn short.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Redhead
My pet peeve is shower heads that are too short. I’m only 5’10” and if I have to bend my knees to not hit my head, it’s too damn short.
At 5’2”, I can say there’s one problem I’ll never encounter!
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
My second biggest hotel bathroom pet peeve is bathroom light switches outside of the bathroom.
This seems to be the norm in much of Europe and Asia (is it code?).
I can't even imagine the havoc this must wreak in homes with siblings who torment each other...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OskiBear
This seems to be the norm in much of Europe and Asia (is it code?).
Bathroom light switches outside of the bathroom is not the norm for most of my hotel stays in Europe.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st

It’s the little things!
Is this a Marriott thing? Because the Courtyard Inn of Sedona, AZ has that same layout, and it is excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.