Wiki Posts
Search

New transatlantic airline start up alert: Global Airlines

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 5:38 am
Original Poster

New transatlantic airline start up alert: Global Airlines

In short:
  • New start up transatlantic airline called Global Airlines, founded by James Asquith - an influencer traveler / world record holder of the title "youngest to visit every country"
  • Just bought an A380, aims to buy 4 in total
  • Wants to start flying in spring next year
  • Airline apparently founded after Asquith did a lot of flying and noticed a lot wrong with commercial aviation... this start up is to "right those wrongs", so to speak
https://simpleflying.com/global-airl...d-airbus-a380/
Old May 30, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Not saying there isn’t a lot wrong with air travel, but you lost my interest at “influencer” thinks they know better than experts.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Although I would never fly Global Airlines, my hope is they offer cheap ex-LHR fares to make the competition drop their fares.
m3red, wrp96, the phoenix and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:00 am

It's a long, long way from painting a name and logo on a mothballed A380 and running an airline. Do they have an operating certificate or any slots at airports that can handle an A380? My bet is that the "founder" will pocket a lot of investor's money as his salary and the airline will never fly.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by twb3
It's a long, long way from painting a name and logo on a mothballed A380 and running an airline. Do they have an operating certificate or any slots at airports that can handle an A380? My bet is that the "founder" will pocket a lot of investor's money as his salary and the airline will never fly.
Yeah but he outright bought that beluga. What's he going to do with it otherwise? Make a bar out of it and dump it in Orlando?

Old May 30, 2023, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twb3
I suspect this as well... he is apparently also the founder of a start up called Holiday Swap which seems to have a lot of red flags: virtually unknown in the tourism world, high social media following count with low/no interaction, lots of PR wire "press releases" shown as proof of success...

Having said that, it would be interesting to see a new British airline.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
This is insane

So insane that I offer myself as self loading ballast for test flights - I hope the guy manages it and wish him well. If he has purchased the aircraft outright, will they be entered onto the UK Civil Reg?
Old May 30, 2023, 8:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Richard Branson-wannabe...

Why would a start-up airline buy an airplane instead of leasing one?
Why would you go for the A380? Sounds like someone didn't run their numbers... unless they're doing Hajj charters. UK <> US on an A380 - great idea in the summer, horrible off-season (one of the reasons why the A380 is the way it is today - you can't cut it in half when the demand halves).
cargueiro likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
If these guys offer the right route, price and service, I'll become a user.

I haven't used Norse yet because it's just as cost effective to fly BA once i bundle in the services I want.
Old May 31, 2023, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
Richard Branson-wannabe...

Why would a start-up airline buy an airplane instead of leasing one?
Why would you go for the A380? Sounds like someone didn't run their numbers... unless they're doing Hajj charters. UK <> US on an A380 - great idea in the summer, horrible off-season (one of the reasons why the A380 is the way it is today - you can't cut it in half when the demand halves).
From the founder:

Why buy instead of lease: "Acquiring our aircraft rather than leasing showcases our commitment to financial security and resilience from day one."

Why A380: "Our aspiration is to be the best way to fly and the A380 – with its unmatched levels of space, comfort and service – will be absolutely central to achieving that vision."
Old May 31, 2023, 5:04 am
Original Poster

I would be even more skeptical if not for Starlux Airlines - launched during the start of the pandemic and focused on "luxury" travel... there were a lot of doubters here in Asia but ultimately they have been very successful.*

* = major caveat being the founder is a billionaire / commercial pilot / former chairman of EVA Airlines and EVA Group
Old May 31, 2023, 5:10 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by CX HK
From the founder: Why buy instead of lease: "Acquiring our aircraft rather than leasing showcases our commitment to financial security and resilience from day one."
"If you want to be a Millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline."

It's his (investors') money to lose ...
wrp96, GUWonder and hhdl like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta PM
Didn't this guy try and throw a music festival in the Bahamas a few years ago?
wrp96, hhdl and m3red like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 8:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by realworld
Didn't this guy try and throw a music festival in the Bahamas a few years ago?
That was Fyre Festival done by con artist Billy McFarland and rapper Ja Rule

Last edited by IJN Harekaze; May 31, 2023 at 9:04 am
Old May 31, 2023, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
From the founder:

Why buy instead of lease: "Acquiring our aircraft rather than leasing showcases our commitment to financial security and resilience from day one."
Sounds like doubletalk from someone who has no idea of how to run a business. Tying up a huge chunk of capital that would be needed for the massive start-up costs of a new entrant airline produces a lack of financial security and resilience.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.