Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tipping a transportation industry worker through Venmo: acceptable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2023, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In the situation below, it it appropriate to ask a Amtrak employee if I can tip him through Venmo?

I was on a flight that got diverted, so I jumped off the flight, dashed to the local Amtrak station and am now on the Acela Express. I had an upgrade coupon, so I got upgraded to first class for free.

You tip Acela Express first class employees, as they serve dinner and drinks. I don’t have any cash, though, as I was in a rush and this train trip is unexpected.

The employee seems very good, so it would be Scrooge-like to give $0 tip.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Yes just offer an electronic Venmo PayPal tip. Risk that they don’t have either account.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Only in America.
Scots_Al, lhrsfo, Tanic and 3 others like this.
Old May 1, 2023, 8:57 am

I feel less guilty not tipping when the employee is making a decent wage to do their job. Someone making $2.38 an hour in a restaurant? You bet!. My guess is that Amtrak staff are paid well enough that a tip subsidy is not really required.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Marschel
Only in America.
The only weird thing about this is that there is an actual functioning passenger train involved.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I am really surprised that people don't carry any cash when flying. Even though I am practically cash-free at this stage, I always have some while traveling out of town.

To answer your question, with tipping culture in America being what it is, I doubt this would be a problem. The employee will probably be grateful, assuming he/she has Venmo which most younger people do.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:13 am

Ah, if the person whom you'd like to tip doesn't have an issue with it, I don't see a problem. I'm with you on this one, when a tip is warranted, as utterly heartless as I am, I feel bad not giving one, at least in America. Abroad, couldn't care less, unless when in an American hotel.
Old May 11, 2023, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by cbn42
I am really surprised that people don't carry any cash when flying. Even though I am practically cash-free at this stage, I always have some while traveling out of town.

To answer your question, with tipping culture in America being what it is, I doubt this would be a problem. The employee will probably be grateful, assuming he/she has Venmo which most younger people do.
I'm surprised that anyone would ever leave the house with no cash. There are no transaction fees, no internet hiccups, no electricity or batteries needed, no requirement that both have the same payment apps, etc.
CDTraveler, corky and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 11, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I'm surprised that anyone would ever leave the house with no cash. There are no transaction fees, no internet hiccups, no electricity or batteries needed, no requirement that both have the same payment apps, etc.
No ability to use it in an increasing number of settings... Even just the other day I used a public toilet which had a 50p charge - payable only by contactless. More and more pubs and restaurants are cash-free now too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.