Wiki Posts
Search

Airports with public pianos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Airports with public pianos

One day I was traveling through CLT airport, and I had a fairly lengthy layover. In the central courtyard area, they have that nice grand piano that I have heard being played many times. I play a little jazz piano, so I didn't think much of it when I sat down to play a few tunes, but after about 8 minutes, someone came by and was very cross with me for having done so! I was told it wasn't a public piano. This got me thinking about where there ARE public pianos in airports that anyone can play. Here are the ones that I have played/know of (all US domestic... I haven't traveled as much as some):

CAE
STL
PDX (granted, this was in 2012... not sure the piano was temporary or permanent)
RDU (also not sure if it was permanent)
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
I believe the one at JAX is public. Someone might prove me wrong.
plinth857 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:04 am

I don't have a list of public pianos but thoroughly support the idea. In UK there are examples at railway stations and other downtown spaces like shopping malls.

Channel 4 just launched a new series with a twist - here's a review from BBC. Even better you can pick up the story here on
plinth857 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by plinth857
One day I was traveling through CLT airport, and I had a fairly lengthy layover. In the central courtyard area, they have that nice grand piano that I have heard being played many times. I play a little jazz piano, so I didn't think much of it when I sat down to play a few tunes, but after about 8 minutes, someone came by and was very cross with me for having done so! I was told it wasn't a public piano. This got me thinking about where there ARE public pianos in airports that anyone can play. Here are the ones that I have played/know of (all US domestic... I haven't traveled as much as some):

CAE
STL
PDX (granted, this was in 2012... not sure the piano was temporary or permanent)
RDU (also not sure if it was permanent)
There is a piano in PDX in the D concourse, but it is not for public use. They have musicians who play for tips and exposure at times, but most of the time is is covered & has a sign saying that it is not for the public.

SNA does have a public piano, just outside of the Ruby's diner.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by plinth857 (Post # 1)
One day I was traveling through CLT airport, and I had a fairly lengthy layover. In the central courtyard area, they have that nice grand piano that I have heard being played many times. I play a little jazz piano, so I didn't think much of it when I sat down to play a few tunes, but after about 8 minutes, someone came by and was very cross with me for having done so! I was told it wasn't a public piano. . . .
What was his or her basis or authority for making this assertion?

trooper likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
There is one right at the exit of the TSA area escalator, at United Terminal 7 - LAX.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
There used to be one for a couple of years at Kirmington but it got removed after being damaged by an oil rig worker that was told to get straight back to his platform to cover an illness
Old Mar 10, 2023, 7:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I remember seeing one in MUC in 2016. Nobody was playing it and no sign indicating it was not for public access.
SPN Lifer and plinth857 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I believe the one at JAX is public. Someone might prove me wrong.
I met one of the professional JAX piano players a few years ago and he told me it was free for anyone to play. I never bothered to confirm if this is official policy. I'll try to inquire when I pass by there this evening.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 1:27 pm

There's actually one in YUL. It's all the way at the end of the international pier in the "Transat" area. Saw a young girl playing last year when I was waiting for my flight in August -- one of the highlights of the airport experience that day.
https://yulsatisfaction.admtl.com/hc...2517-YUL-PIANO
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moderator2
There is one right at the exit of the TSA area escalator, at United Terminal 7 - LAX.
There's also one in the TBIT-T4 connectot. They were both put in at the same time:https://www.lawa.org/news-releases/2019/news-release-67
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:38 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
CMH had one pre-COVID in the check-in area.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
What was his or her basis or authority for making this assertion?

They had a uniform and nametag on - I guess I had no reason to doubt their authority. I took the path of least resistance and just nodded and went on my way. I may have made faces behind their back when they turned to leave, but I don't remember too clearly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:01 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by plinth857
They had a uniform and nametag on - I guess I had no reason to doubt their authority. I took the path of least resistance and just nodded and went on my way. I may have made faces behind their back when they turned to leave, but I don't remember too clearly.

Sounds like quite a sourpuss.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Sing for Hope pianos at UA gates

David
plinth857 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.