Search

Annoying vloggers on flights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 7:19 pm

So being sat beside one of these vloggers, how many of you would:

1) Ask them to stop;
2) Failing that, ask the cabin crew to ask them to stop;
3) Complain to the airline;
4) Attempt to demonitize the video you may be in?
blue2002 and not2017 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 10:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
So I’ve to admit I’ve watched Sam Chui but then realized that only flying first and business isn’t my world and that “surviving” Emirates economy which probably is still miles better than other carriers was just the tip of the iceberg to unsubscribe from this arrogant person. Apologies but he seems to feel very entitled in my opinion.

I’ve also watched Nonstop Dan and found some content good but when he tried to explain to me why an airline would do what I started to unsubscribe. I’m sorry but one of my relatives used to be a captain and I know a bit of background of the airline industry, not much though but I find it preposterous that this guy thinks to know why an airline would do something.

Also, I love meat and don’t care for vegan options. Sorry but no. Not a reason though.

Josh Cahill only watched a few and didn’t tickle me. Jayden Wong seems ok for the most part and recently watched Dennis Bunnick as well as Jeb Brooks, but not subscribed yet. they seem to be more down to earth I feel.

Oh and regarding Noel Philips, I enjoyed around the world in 80 hours but the rest of the content to me is annoying with provoking headlines.

As for me I go back to what I was doing in the 80s and 90s. Instead of relying on YouTube reviews I’ll just go find out myself. Less stress tbh.
farci likes this.

Last edited by crisdean; Apr 24, 2023 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
You mean Noel Philips - yeah, as previously said I have met him

The funny thing about him moving to the US is that it makes him more money, so it seems, but it might also have to do with Her (now His) Majesty's Tax officials coming after him (for which there is proof). He's stayed a UK citizen so, as he admitted in a Q&A video, fly back to the UK and get treatment on the NHS without having to wait
Unfortunately for him, then, entitlement to free NHS care is not based on citizenship, but place of ordinary residence.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ

1) Ask them to stop;
1) I would
2) Of course
3) For sure
4) Copyright strike it on the grounds the video contains my likeness without permission
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Unfortunately for him, then, entitlement to free NHS care is not based on citizenship, but place of ordinary residence.
Aye, thats what I thought but from what digging people on TattleLife have done, they've discovered his wife has come back here from time to time to be a treatment tourist essentially as the condition from which she suffers (and I bear her no ill will on that front) has high costs in the US I am led to believe
MSPeconomist, not2017 and GMurphy like this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

1) Ask them to stop;
If the vlogger were annoying to the degree described by the OP:

1) Nicely at first, then not so nicely if the behavior continued.
2) Yes and repeatedly if immediate action were not taken.
3) Yes
4) The vlogger would be advised that his life would be easier and happier by keeping my likeness out of his video.

If steps 1-3 did not curtail his behavior further actions might be taken to render his video unusable.
MSPeconomist and not2017 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
You mean Noel Philips - yeah, as previously said I have met him

The funny thing about him moving to the US is that it makes him more money, so it seems, but it might also have to do with Her (now His) Majesty's Tax officials coming after him (for which there is proof). He's stayed a UK citizen so, as he admitted in a Q&A video, fly back to the UK and get treatment on the NHS without having to wait
AFAIK access to NHS is based on residence, not citizenship, so in theory a UK citizen resident outside the UK is not entitled to free treatment. I've heard stories of people getting round that, but one has to wonder how much karma is waiting for a mildly prominent alleged tax fugitive?
not2017 and GMurphy like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:52 pm

I can't stand Noel Philips. As mentioned up thread he abused his "job" to dick about on planes when we were all told to stay at home. I messaged him about this and he said he had to keep his staff employed. His staff seemed to be his fellow company director - his wife. Doesn't surprise me one bit about the tax stuff.
He also tried to eat a hot towel in one video, so...
Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by u01sss3
I can't stand Noel Philips. As mentioned up thread he abused his "job" to dick about on planes when we were all told to stay at home. I messaged him about this and he said he had to keep his staff employed. His staff seemed to be his fellow company director - his wife. Doesn't surprise me one bit about the tax stuff.
I guess if you're really, really hungry...

David
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Staff? lol What "staff"?

not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Staff? lol What "staff"?

Exactly. Pretendy "employees" are a handy tax write off.
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Exactly. Pretendy "employees" are a handy tax write off.
I met a travel blogger last year who was on a contract assignment in China. His team consisted of six people (him, a Chinese lady the sponsor made his co-host, and four additional crew). He told me that he dislikes that style, but often has no input.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 5:20 pm

1) Ask them to stop;
1. Yes
2. Yup
3. Most likely
4. Yup. I'd start playing music just like I mentioned previously. Preferably someone from a big label that'll get them demonetized or hopefully a copyright strike. If I knew who they were I'd report the video once published.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:20 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I don't consider him a vlogger anymore. He's more a mobile commercial platform. If I were cabin crew and was threatened with a bad review, I'd remind him about any privacy rules the airline has and upon landing, advise management.

As a passenger, if he were filming me, I'd ask he stop and complain to the cabin crew if he continued. I can understand a few photos to document a trip. But to continually annoy fellow passengers who do not want to be filmed is just repugnant.
Complaining will most likely achieve nothing. As you say he is a commercial platform. He has likely contracts with airlines for his videos so crew are under order to let him do it and management will know he is onboard. Same way that if you were flying with a marketing team paid by said airline to do an advertisement.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Complaining will most likely achieve nothing. As you say he is a commercial platform. He has likely contracts with airlines for his videos so crew are under order to let him do it and management will know he is onboard. Same way that if you were flying with a marketing team paid by said airline to do an advertisement.
Ah, but a marketing flight is different. All the "passengers" would be "cast" as marketing flights would not ferry passengers. It would be a flight to nowhere from a small outfield or test airport. The other point would be not to annoy existing passengers. You never know who is in the vicinity. Annoying several high value clients just to get marketing exposure is not the smartest way to get more clients.
MSPeconomist, not2017 and TGarza like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
How does one mount a GoPro to a window seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.