Annoying vloggers on flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying vloggers on flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: Avios
Several years ago, I stayed at an Airbnb in an international capital. It was a renovated farmhouse that a multicultural couple lived in and rented out two rooms. It was my second time staying as the hosts and I clicked socially and their home looked like a magazine. Just gorgeous. They announced that a famous travel vlogger was coming to stay for one night. I had used his content before when planning a few trips and was thrilled to meet him. And then he actually showed up.

He was horrendous. Incredibly rude (he's from my culture so there was no excuse), would ask a question then while someone was answering cut them off to say their answer wasn't good enough or boring. He demanded a cooked breakfast with expensive ingredients, complained about how expensive he thought the airbnb was, asked for the 10 best things to do in the city and then cut us off because he didn't like our answers. He tried to film in their lovely house and then gave up because he said he didn't like it. The hosts and I were just shocked.

After he left, we had to have a debrief. Best we could figure out was he had spent so many formative years traveling that he never learned how to stick with anything. So if a relationship got hard or someone got boring, he literally just left. He didn't know how to connect with anyone if it wasn't for content. Didn't care if he left a poor impression. Ironically enough, a few months later he ran out of sponsor money and had to return to "real life" and it was a horrible shock. He really struggled and finally wrote a blog post talking about how hard it was to have to stay in one place and actually deal with problems and not just leave.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 1:00 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by teachertraveler
Several years ago, I stayed at an Airbnb in an international capital. It was a renovated farmhouse that a multicultural couple lived in and rented out two rooms. It was my second time staying as the hosts and I clicked socially and their home looked like a magazine. Just gorgeous. They announced that a famous travel vlogger was coming to stay for one night. I had used his content before when planning a few trips and was thrilled to meet him. And then he actually showed up.

He was horrendous. Incredibly rude (he's from my culture so there was no excuse), would ask a question then while someone was answering cut them off to say their answer wasn't good enough or boring. He demanded a cooked breakfast with expensive ingredients, complained about how expensive he thought the airbnb was, asked for the 10 best things to do in the city and then cut us off because he didn't like our answers. He tried to film in their lovely house and then gave up because he said he didn't like it. The hosts and I were just shocked.

After he left, we had to have a debrief. Best we could figure out was he had spent so many formative years traveling that he never learned how to stick with anything. So if a relationship got hard or someone got boring, he literally just left. He didn't know how to connect with anyone if it wasn't for content. Didn't care if he left a poor impression. Ironically enough, a few months later he ran out of sponsor money and had to return to "real life" and it was a horrible shock. He really struggled and finally wrote a blog post talking about how hard it was to have to stay in one place and actually deal with problems and not just leave.
I hope its not Cahill you mean - I rather like him
not2017 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
A bothersome vlogger would be treated like any other bothersome passenger. Tolerated to a point and then politely asked to curtail their irritating behavior. Should the response be less than cooperative and/or the conduct persists then the cabin crew would be involved. If those avenues were unsuccessful then creativity would be called upon to ensure videos taken in my immediate vicinity were unusable.
not2017 and D1L like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Noel Philips
The title of a recent video:Inside America's MOST LUXURIOUS Airline

That's United

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

There's one other vlogger -- Sam Chui -- who I absolutely cannot stand. .
He does provide some interesting content.
not2017 and jerrychuang like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
He does provide some interesting content.
Yes and no. Some of it is interesting, but others provide similar or "different" content as well. Jeb Brooks is like that (inside airport looks for example). Paul Smith does as well. (eg, old museum'ed aircraft). Both I find more appealing than Sam.
not2017 and GW McLintock like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Yes and no. Some of it is interesting, but others provide similar or "different" content as well. Jeb Brooks is like that (inside airport looks for example). Paul Smith does as well. (eg, old museum'ed aircraft). Both I find more appealing than Sam.
I will have to check out these guys. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:28 pm

I recently had a suggestion pop up for a Canadian YT channel that IMO did everything right. Most of his videos were in the 10-12 minute long rage which gave you a good feel of the whole trip from the departure and arrival airports and, of course, the flight itself. Some videos were longer if it was a multiple leg trip or if he showed you around the destination. I like how any photos/video inside the plane or in the airport that he blurred faces to protect people's privacy. He also does the narration as a voice over as not to annoy fellow passengers.
MSPeconomist and not2017 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: JL S/JGC | AS MVP | Hyatt G
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
There is a female vlogger as well who is similar, I just can't remember her name.
If you meant similar in content, perhaps it would be Itsuka Japan? Or if you meant name, Solo Female Travel from Japan?

There’s quite a few of them; I wonder how many will maintain their audiences long-term after the reopening. Solo Solo has more of a personality to keep people engaged. Meanwhile Rion has his livestreams.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by thecowgoesmoo
If you meant similar in content, perhaps it would be Itsuka Japan? Or if you meant name, Solo Female Travel from Japan?

There’s quite a few of them; I wonder how many will maintain their audiences long-term after the reopening. Solo Solo has more of a personality to keep people engaged. Meanwhile Rion has his livestreams.
It's Itsuka Japan. Thanks.

Depends on if they have a thing and revenge travel remains. Youtube income isn't great at 100k users and while they are polite, many hospitality operators are slowly learning to say no...
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:10 am

I've only met one travel blogger in real life.
Not sure if we can name names, but it's the bald ginger one from England who now lives in the US. A pretty unpleasant and narcissistic guy.
I'm also not a fan of his videos where he shames other passengers, clearly makes other uncomfortable and writes nonsense clickbait titles.

TBH I don't really mind most of the other bloggers out there. The one I rarely watch is Sam Chui. He has interesting stuff, but it is so commercial and sycophantic it turns me off.

Of the more recent ones, I like the Flip Flip traveler, and Steve Marsh posts a lot of very interesting stuff.
not2017, GW McLintock and GMurphy like this.

Last edited by TravelDream; Apr 23, 2023 at 12:19 am Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
I've only met one travel blogger in real life.
Not sure if we can name names, but it's the bald ginger one from England who now lives in the US. A pretty unpleasant and narcissistic guy.
I'm also not a fan of his videos where he shames other passengers, clearly makes other uncomfortable and writes nonsense clickbait titles.

TBH I don't really mind most of the other bloggers out there. The one I rarely watch is Sam Chui. He has interesting stuff, but it is so commercial and sycophantic it turns me off.

Of the more recent ones, I like the Flip Flip traveler, and Steve Marsh posts a lot of very interesting stuff.
You mean Noel Philips - yeah, as previously said I have met him

The funny thing about him moving to the US is that it makes him more money, so it seems, but it might also have to do with Her (now His) Majesty's Tax officials coming after him (for which there is proof). He's stayed a UK citizen so, as he admitted in a Q&A video, fly back to the UK and get treatment on the NHS without having to wait
not2017, u01sss3, J343 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Anyone here experienced sitting next to an annoying vlogger on a flight? I was sat next to one and he was chattering way into his camera ... worse then someone on a phone, plus he had a massive LED light attached to this camera shining everywhere. He also stuck a GoPro onto the window, blocked my view of takeoff and landing
Yes, the couple + teenaged child who took pictures of EVERYTHING, each with a family pose, during the flight, for Instagram.
not2017 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Yes, the couple + teenaged child who took pictures of EVERYTHING, each with a family pose, during the flight, for Instagram.
Know who it was...?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You mean Noel Philips - yeah, as previously said I have met him

The funny thing about him moving to the US is that it makes him more money, so it seems, but it might also have to do with Her (now His) Majesty's Tax officials coming after him (for which there is proof). He's stayed a UK citizen so, as he admitted in a Q&A video, fly back to the UK and get treatment on the NHS without having to wait
I can't stand this clown. I've only managed a few minutes of a few vids of him.
farci, J343 and GMurphy like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Know who it was...?
Nobody famous, just annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.