Wiki Posts
Search

Annoying vloggers on flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:18 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Dennis Bunnick and Jeb Brook seems nice. Paul Lucas is a bit wordy as is Paul Smith (although he has been veering away from stuff I prefer to watch). but both are informative.

Can't stand Josh Cahil and Nonstop Dan. Same goes for Jayden Wong.

There are a few others I find aren't too bad, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.
Agree with Dennis Bunnik and Jeb Brooks.
Can't think of anyone else I can stomach anymore. All self opinionated gits.
KRSW, Cupart, D1L and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by james318
Phew. The only one I could think of was Ed Sheeran. This guy LOOKS annoying. But he may be a nice chap. What do I know.
I know a couple of people who have met him in their travels and neither had anything good to say about him.

Dennis Bunnick and Jeb Brook seems nice. Paul Lucas is a bit wordy as is Paul Smith (although he has been veering away from stuff I prefer to watch). but both are informative.
I met Jeb Brooks at the TWA Hotel once at one of the lobby bars. Really, really nice and down-to-earth guy.

There's one other vlogger -- Sam Chui -- who I absolutely cannot stand. He got his start by writing trip reports on a.net years ago with so many photos that it took the page a few minutes to load. I have a few flight attendant friends who have had the unfortunate pleasure of having to serve him. Apparently he's known for taking photos/video of the crew without asking and essentially threatening them with a bad review if they don't want to be on camera. Why anyone looks at his content is beyond me.

The timing of this thread is funny as the topic came up at the last Drunk DO.

-J.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I know a couple of people who have met him in their travels and neither had anything good to say about him.

I met Jeb Brooks at the TWA Hotel once at one of the lobby bars. Really, really nice and down-to-earth guy.

There's one other vlogger -- Sam Chui -- who I absolutely cannot stand. He got his start by writing trip reports on a.net years ago with so many photos that it took the page a few minutes to load. I have a few flight attendant friends who have had the unfortunate pleasure of having to serve him. Apparently he's known for taking photos/video of the crew without asking and essentially threatening them with a bad review if they don't want to be on camera. Why anyone looks at his content is beyond me.

-J.
So many photos in a trip report that the page won't load? Sounds like an ElevatorEnthusiast FT post :-)

As for Sam, I liked his Etihad Residence videos - quite peaceful as he doesn't have the weird "shouty" freakout personality so many vloggers seem to have. However, I know most have issues with him due to perceived fakeness or weird crew interactions.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:17 am

I don't consider him a vlogger anymore. He's more a mobile commercial platform. If I were cabin crew and was threatened with a bad review, I'd remind him about any privacy rules the airline has and upon landing, advise management.

As a passenger, if he were filming me, I'd ask he stop and complain to the cabin crew if he continued. I can understand a few photos to document a trip. But to continually annoy fellow passengers who do not want to be filmed is just repugnant.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Steve Marsh isn't a dedicated aviation vlogger, but often posts about his airborne experiences. I like him partly because we have so much in common (large but not outsized, afraid of heights, etc.) and especially just to hear this thick Scots dialect. I'm in a radio theater group, and the only "foreign" accent I can do convincingly is Scots, so any additional source material to study is always welcome!
u01sss3, deadshark and Mr Enthused like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
So many photos in a trip report that the page won't load? Sounds like an ElevatorEnthusiast FT post :-)

As for Sam, I liked his Etihad Residence videos - quite peaceful as he doesn't have the weird "shouty" freakout personality so many vloggers seem to have. However, I know most have issues with him due to perceived fakeness or weird crew interactions.
Back in the day when internet wasn't as blazingly fast as it is today, it would sometimes take the better part of 10 minutes for his threads to load. I will give credit in that Chui is an excellent and gifted photographer. But there is no forgiveness for being such a raging schmuck.

-J.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:56 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Phillips is a jerk.

Originally Posted by james318
Phew. The only one I could think of was Ed Sheeran. This guy LOOKS annoying. But he may be a nice chap. What do I know.
Noel Phillips is pompous a**! His videos drag on and on, utterly boring freak of nature!
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:00 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Originally Posted by yensidw
The fact that any of these vloggers or "influencers" actually have followers just boggles my mind. I don't need some idiot telling me what to wear, or buy, or where to go on vacation,
There are some that offer very valuable travel info that you cannot get anywhere else. For example, Japan, is very hard for Westerners to comprehend the extremely complex amount of rail passes. Vloggers cover that!
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by not2017
Noel Phillips is pompous a**! His videos drag on and on, utterly boring freak of nature!
I enjoyed his videos about his trip to Lukla, Nepal and that small snowy town in Colorado or Montana. Otherwise he really does seem like a jerk. Someone upthread hit the nail on the head when he complains that the filet in his inflight meal is overcooked, and then rushes off for fast food when he lands. The sensationalist titles also irk me, but Youtubers will do anything to make a buck. I heard he lives in Houston now.

-J.
not2017 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by not2017
There are some that offer very valuable travel info that you cannot get anywhere else. For example, Japan, is very hard for Westerners to comprehend the extremely complex amount of rail passes. Vloggers cover that!
There is a dearth of Japanese travel vloggers... The one thing I appreciate about most of them is that they are silent... No real talking...
jortheo, not2017 and Mr Enthused like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 3:41 pm

Sam Chui has published multiple videos praising Air Koryo... That right there tells me all I need to know. Paid shill.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
There is a dearth of Japanese travel vloggers... The one thing I appreciate about most of them is that they are silent... No real talking...
There is a great one called Solo Travel Japan that does mainly ferries, but also buses/coaches and trains - he doesn't normally talk apart from answering an unexpected knock on his cabin door one morning. Also takes on suggestions such as indicating if a website he uses has an english option or not, what the best place to buy curry from is and has a sock game thats second to none...

And for those that already subscribe to him, Sunflower... Sunflower...
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
There is a great one called Solo Travel Japan that does mainly ferries, but also buses/coaches and trains - he doesn't normally talk apart from answering an unexpected knock on his cabin door one morning. Also takes on suggestions such as indicating if a website he uses has an english option or not, what the best place to buy curry from is and has a sock game thats second to none...

And for those that already subscribe to him, Sunflower... Sunflower...
Yup. I watch his videos. There's another one with a similar name.... Solo solo travel (his avatar is a goose). Kuga is ok but I find he's a little "stiff". There is a female vlogger as well who is similar, I just can't remember her name.

Then there's Rion who verges on being way too talkative.

Sunflower.... sun flower...

For those who don't get the reference.... here's the theme... Now imagine that as your boarding music.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

-J.
I don't want to see him, I just want to see a private plane or first class. I often watch these type of videos with the sound down.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
IThere's one other vlogger -- Sam Chui -- who I absolutely cannot stand.
Oh, so it's not just me then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.