Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gross feeling on long distance flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Gross feeling on long distance flights

I just took an 11 hour flight with United. I dont why this time but I had that had gross feeling on my skin. Sweat buildup like you have not showered in days. I could not sleep and felt icky. Anyone have this feeling before? How do you prevent it?
Made me never want to travel long distance again.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Did you feel this way after eating the ling cod?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by tovo
I just took an 11 hour flight with United. I dont why this time but I had that had gross feeling on my skin. Sweat buildup like you have not showered in days. I could not sleep and felt icky. Anyone have this feeling before? How do you prevent it?
Made me never want to travel long distance again.
There could be a number of things... malfunctioning HVAC system... possibly a substance from another passenger that you may or may not have noticed... Something that might have been present in the air before (eg, in the early stages of the pandemic, there was a chemical disinfectant sprayed in the cabin... not saying it was, but just an example)... or even the plane might have a high concentration of some other cleaning agent (as if it came off a deep clean cycle).

There isn't that much you can do about those. Best you can do is possibly wipe down your seat yourself (as some people do)... personally I bring a small USB fan with me to ensure there is always some sort of airflow, but that may or may not help. Rare, but I've seen other passengers bring some sort of "perfumed" mist that they spray on themselves in flight (but that might annoy/aggravate other passengers)... I suspect to "refresh" themselves.
Owenc likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:07 am

Use a good antibacterial soap before travel. Don't used perfumated sprays or cologne.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I can get that feeling when in an a/c for awhile. I recommend keeping your skin moisturized, be sure to brush your teeth after meals (yes that helps with getting rid of that gross feeling), bring wipes or sanitizer and be sure to constantly drink water. Limit alcohol consumption. Some of that "icky" feeling is dehydration at work.
Owenc likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I get that on redeye flights, it's definitely worse in Y. As mentioned above, toohbrushing and wipes. The "makeup remover" ones that most Marriot properties include among the toiletries are great, even for us non makeup wearing types. They're perfect for a quick wipe down in the lav before arrival. If I'm connecting to another longhaul flight, ideally I'll have shower access in the lounge. If not, I keep a pair of socks and boxers in my cabin bag. It's enough to feel significantly less gross
mlbcard likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
carry an oximeter and take readings at altitude towards end of flight. If really low try deep breathing
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:18 pm

Lume wipes. Get some. But purchase from Amazon.

ETA: Amazon doesn’t sell the wipes so if anyone buys from Lume directly, give at least 2 weeks buffer before you need them (notoriously slow shipping). They are marketed to women but any scent disappears after a few seconds and they are unisex.

https://lumedeodorant.com/collections/wipes
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
It's called RJ butt. (or 747 butt on long haul)

Face wipes + brush teeth = much better
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
As a semi-frequent traveler on the Asia long-hauls, I get this a good bit. It's a uniquely sticky sweat that especially seems to strike after 13-hour flights spent partially asleep. ONE time I did get to take a shower at the lounge at Abu Dhabi airport (IIRC I was en route to Manila - via the Atlantic) as an Etihad gold member. As others have mentioned, failing that the wipes are a kind of band-aid.
Owenc likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I usually bring a few face towels with me along with Ziploc freezer bags. I will go to the lavatory, wipe myself down with a face towel once or twice during a long-haul flight, and put the wet face towel in a Ziploc bag to prevent other stuff in my carry-on from getting wet. Sometimes I will use a little hand soap as well if I feel really icky. That's why I am glad that the FA's give out those disposable wipes to refresh yourself before meals.

I haven't done a long-haul flight since Christmas 2017, and I am not sure when as I don't think my wife would survive the trip. She wants to go to the Philippines to see our son's graduation next year, but is very weak and can't seem to walk more than a thousand feet before getting very tired.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 4:56 pm

Brushing the teeth, and using hand cream in-flight, plus a double espresso after landing.

I also get up to stretch and make fists with my toes, as the fellow suggested in Die Hard.
voyageuse likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by whitewave
Lume wipes. Get some. But purchase from Amazon.

ETA: Amazon doesn’t sell the wipes so if anyone buys from Lume directly, give at least 2 weeks buffer before you need them (notoriously slow shipping). They are marketed to women but any scent disappears after a few seconds and they are unisex.

https://lumedeodorant.com/collections/wipes
Available at Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
whitewave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.