Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I don't like bulkhead seats & exit rows!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

I was looking at the row I was in for an upcoming trip and was glad I wasn't in a bulkhead row. I also thought about exit rows which I don't like. Tons covet these as there extra room but am I the only weirdo who doesn't like them?
waalien likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
… am I the only weirdo who doesn't like them?
*technically* those are two distinct questions
DELee and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I was looking at the row I was in for an upcoming trip and was glad I wasn't in a bulkhead row. I also thought about exit rows which I don't like. Tons covet these as there extra room but am I the only weirdo who doesn't like them?
I *hate* bulkhead rows.

Having the tray table in the armrest changes the actual seat space/shape, and always has something jutting into my space that causes me to have curve my back/hips abnormally and I end up with nerve pain up and down my legs due to spine issues. Twice Delta put me in bulkhead seats, and I had to argue with the GA and FA because I wanted any other seat, even a middle seat, rather than bulkhead and they didn't believe that somebody would fight to get out of a bulkhead row
Segments likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I also hate bulkhead due to having to surrender my bag during takeoff/landing and due to seat width in coach. Exit rows? I'm 6'4" so I do appreciate the legroom but hate the front row due to no reclining (thinking mainly of the B737). On the 737 also watch out for 10A as it has no window.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:36 pm

My first and last leg is often on a CRJ200. Bulkhead doesn’t just remove the option of keeping my bag in reach during takeoff, but the overhead bins for 1AB often are taken up by emergency equipment. Worst seats.
linsj likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
No to bulkhead unless it's the rare a/c that has no wall between F and Y and there's space under the last F seat for my stuff -- see 4A on AA's CRJ7/900 and ERJ170/175, and AA 737s with the Oasis retrofit.

Maybe on exit row depending on the aircraft. If the tray is in the armrest, no; generally I only pick exit rows if the first few rows of Y aren't available.
BeanTownBoy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Exit rows yes. Bulkhead seats no because that's often where parents with lap children are seated.
farci likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
The bulkhead row 1 on usa flights is very nice limited F (C) class so yes I like that one a lot.

i don’t know what’s wrong with exit row aside from needing to safely be responsible in case of emergency.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
All depends on the aircraft. 1A on the CRJ-700/900 is the best seat in F in my opinion since at least on DL's and AA's CRJ-700s/900s there's ample legroom. Conversely, the bulkhead row in F on some of DL's aircraft is quite tight, particularly the 737s and 757s.

In Premium Economy, I'll generally only do the bulkhead. In other rows, it's very difficult to get out (especially from the window seat) when the seat in front is reclined. Meanwhile in the bulkhead row in PE, I can get out from the window seat with the person in the aisle not having to get up and sometimes not even needing to move their legs at all even if they have them stretched out.

Originally Posted by gaobest
i don’t know what’s wrong with exit row aside from needing to safely be responsible in case of emergency.
I like and prefer exit rows in many cases but there can be drawbacks. Some exit rows don't recline (if there's another exit row behind). Some exit rows have seats with less padding. Some exit rows have shorter or no armrest, particularly if it's a window exit. Some exit rows only have the tray table in the armrest, which can reduce the seat width as well as usually means a smaller tray table that also sits lower. So I can see why some people don't like exit rows for any of the given reasons.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:18 am

Neither do I! I’m super short with short legs and they’re not my favourite spot. Last trip I got asked if I wanted an emergency row seat and I told them to give it to a tall person.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
So. I can’t sit in the exit row. Because I am disability and hard of hearing. I am not qualified to sit there. I have move away from the exit row.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by jrl767
*technically* those are two distinct questions
But the answer to both is "No" . There are plenty of weirdos on here.

The biggest problem I have with bulkhead and exit row is that they are narrower. If the tray table is in the set (always with a bulkhead, sometimes with an aisle) then the seat width is reduced, and I would rather a wider seat than more legroom. Plus, most airlines put the window seats as extra legroom seats, so there is not even that benefit anymore.

I also hate that bulkheads have smaller pockets, the screens are further away, and they usually have less bin space because the fuselage curves in by that point.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Depends, I won't sit in a front bulkhead if I can help it, you'll either be asked to move someplace in the back to accommodate someone, or there's less foot space than a standard seat (i.e., 757's with First Class). If it's a bulkhead between cabins I will consider it, depending on the plane configuration.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:52 am

I don't like the bulkhead and will always avoid it. If given a choice, I don't like exit rows either, unless there's no one else they can find to put there. So, not weird, but, even if it is, it's fine. Being weird and against the herd is a pretty cool thing, in my book.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Marriott SPG Hilton Hyatt Hertz
As a 6.4 million miler, I am often upgraded to First Class. I am 6'3" and absolutely hate the bulkhead row primarily because it will often have a wall which can and does limit the ability to stretch your legs out. Some aircraft models 'cut out' a small 5" area below the bulkhead which offers very little if any benefit. I discovered that when upgrading, the seats are often offered to those in the waiting list as Row 1, Row 2, etc. - based on where you are in the list (first on list Row 1...) I have asked on several occasions - actually every time I am in a position to be upgraded - to be assigned any row but Row 1. Ironically, I love exit rows for the same reason I hate bulkhead rows.
Stewie Mac likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.