Search

Stonehenge or Mount Rushmore?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Stonehenge or Mount Rushmore?

What monument or structure is the most well known among Americans? Extra credit for if it symbolizes stone, strength or permanence.

I am giving a little talk. The key phrase is "...it's not like the _____or ______".

My preliminary choices are the Pyramids of Giza, which I will call the Pyramids in Egypt because not everyone knows Giza. The other place might be Mount Rushmore but I was thinking of Stonehenge. I fear the audience might not know what Stonehenge is.

Other contenders are the Washington Monument, Empire State Building (maybe not considered old), or Eiffel Tower.
====
EDIT: I have made my decision. Pyramids and Mt. Rushmore because there will be a slide with photos of both. Even if someone doesn't know the name of Mt. Rushmore, they may recognize it. Furthermore, Washington looks like a familiar face if one never heard of Mt. Rushmore.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jul 10, 2022 at 8:12 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my answer would probably depend on the makeup of your audience … high school students? community college students? your college or university alumni association? a civic organization?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:38 pm

Great Wall of China? Hoover Dam?

Agree with jrl767 that it depends a lot on the makeup of the audience.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Older teens.

Hoover Dam is a good suggestion.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta, United
Why not be accurate and say the "Pyramids of Giza in Egypt" or "Stonehenge on the Salisbury Plain in England" or "Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota." That is give geographical information so to further educate your audience.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 11, 2022 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Statue of Liberty.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Why not be accurate and say the "Pyramids of Giza in Egypt" or "Stonehenge on the Salisbury Plain in England" or "Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota." That is give geographical information so to further educate your audience.
That's what I was thinking - something like "The Egyptian Pyramids." I'd skip on explaining in such detail on the Stonehenge location, due to its obscurity and chance that they'll think it is known for the birthplace of TV dinner ground "steak."
Dr Jabadski and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
If the key drivers are stone/strength/permanence, then the Pyramids and Great Wall would seem the best. Your idea of Mt. Rushmore is also a good one.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
By the time I was in high school I was certainly aware of all of the structures listed in this thread.

That said, Stonehenge is perhaps the one I understood the least - so if you're using it as a metaphor for something people may not get it.

For a symbol of strength, I'd use the Pyramids for sure.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Egypt's Pyramids...China's Great Wall...England's Stonehenge...America's Mount Rushmore...

(That's how I'd write it)
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:21 pm

If your audience is limited to Americans, the Washington Monument (on the National Mall; not its predecessors in Maryland) gets my vote over Mt. Rushmore.

If the audience is global, I think the Egyptian Pyramids would probably come out on top. Second place goes to the Great Wall. I don't think Stonehenge would place in the top 5.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If we're talking only man-made structures in the US, I tend to think of Hoover Dam and the Statue of Liberty before any single monument on the National Mall. Although collectively, all of the monuments in DC together are also impressive.

I might through the Golden Gate bridge in there somewhere too.

If it doesn't have to be a man-made structure, then the Grand Canyon is a good symbol of the passage of time, perhaps illustrating the contrast between human permanence and geological change.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
If we're talking only man-made structures in the US, I tend to think of Hoover Dam and the Statue of Liberty before any single monument on the National Mall. Although collectively, all of the monuments in DC together are also impressive.

I might through the Golden Gate bridge in there somewhere too.

If it doesn't have to be a man-made structure, then the Grand Canyon is a good symbol of the passage of time, perhaps illustrating the contrast between human permanence and geological change.
I have never visited the Hoover Dam myself (and the same goes for my cousins in Florida), but the Statue of Liberty is definitely more iconic than the Washington Monument. I dare say that not a single American fails to recognize it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.