Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does this hotel "policy" drive anyone else nuts? No? Just me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does this hotel "policy" drive anyone else nuts? No? Just me?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The "piece of orange paper" costs the hotel a few reams of paper a year. Once the gate goes in, you better believe that this is more "justification" for $$$ to park. Or to increase your room rate. Or both. One call to have someone fix the broken gate would cover decades of "orange paper" piece expense.
it’s orange paper! It probably costs DOUBLE the cost of white paper.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Qwkynuf, I think you’re on to something. I have not given much thought of this. Do you leave feedback to management when you check out early so they can have input on this?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:47 am

Same!

I feel the same way. Stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn near LAX where they had this policy. And the parking lot was gated! It seemed like they were doing it just to annoy guests. And I'm with you, when I check in I don't want to be going back to my car nor necessarily waiting in the crowded pull up lane. Extremely annoying.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heffa
Qwkynuf, I think you’re on to something. I have not given much thought of this. Do you leave feedback to management when you check out early so they can have input on this?
Always
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I put the piece of paper in my pocket and dig it out next time I'm at my car. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow morning. I don't make an extra trip just after check-in.

On my list of things I can get annoyed about....this policy (or "policy", not sure how that differs) doesn't even make the list.
prncess674 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP---have you run out of places to stay yet since you won't return to any that have this policy?
Since this seems to be the number one deal breaker for you, it seems that you might end up staying at properties that have many other undesirables but as long as you don't have to walk back to the car, you are willing to overlook those.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
OP---have you run out of places to stay yet since you won't return to any that have this policy?
Since this seems to be the number one deal breaker for you, it seems that you might end up staying at properties that have many other undesirables but as long as you don't have to walk back to the car, you are willing to overlook those.
Do you have a non-hyperbole mode? Or is this pretty much it?

Some of the rest of us (well, at least me) find that some choices aren't automatically binary and that there may be three (or even more) options.

But, to answer your question - no.

To further answer your question, I have also never run into a situation where a second hotel in the same general area had the same policy.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
It's obvious that this is your pet peeve and your way of handling it and you're not going to change. That said, I would suggest: Once you have parked and checked in, it's likely you will be going out within an hour or three for dinner. Take the dash pass out then. There's a vanishingly small chance you will be towed in that time frame. Or ever.
prncess674 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
It's obvious that this is your pet peeve and your way of handling it and you're not going to change. That said, I would suggest: Once you have parked and checked in, it's likely you will be going out within an hour or three for dinner. Take the dash pass out then. There's a vanishingly small chance you will be towed in that time frame. Or ever.
One might even ask at the front desk "will my car be ok if I don't make it back until X:00 to put the slip on the dash?" On the other hand, another one might find that avoiding such exertion of breath is worth spending $100 more at the place across the street.

Variety in parking options is the spice of parking life, or some profound saying like that.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 6:44 pm

I kind of agree with you. It is annoying. But it's not THE most annoying thing going. I don't think I'd switch hotels for it.

It's one of those things that if you are prepared for, then it's not quite as bad. You can take some of the measures folks have mentioned here.

It just sucks if you've parked miles away, have tons of gear, and your room is miles away too, AND you're not expecting it.

This post is going to make me be prepared in the future! Sometimes travel just sucks.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP could call the hotel in advance, before making a reservation, to ask for details of its parking "policy."
corky likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP could call the hotel in advance, before making a reservation, to ask for details of its parking "policy."
Likely a more time consuming project than getting a slip and walking to the car, not to mention, favo(u)rite deity or lack thereof forbid that the policy changes between reservation time and arrival time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.