Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ever travel anywhere without telling anyone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever travel anywhere without telling anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Sure. My poor friends on Facebook are tired of hearing about it.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:05 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Just today, I browsed through the Russia-based Airlines forum. Wouldn't dare tell anyone.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Me going away means telling tons of people and a lot of preparation.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been in the habit of always leaving hard copies of my itinerary, hotel confirmations, conference registration and local invitation contacts, and any other relevant contact information in a designated place in my office so that someone can contact me in an emergency and check when I'm expected to return. I haven't been notifying my condo building in general because it's none of their business and they know my email as well as my office phone, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Funny, I was just thinking about this. As of two weeks ago, both my kids are adults, I'm no longer technically obliged to tell anyone where I am. I doubt I'll jet off somewhere for more than an overnight without telling anyone just out of courtesy, but I *can* travel in secret now if I want.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingpbandj
At least one person for any potential issues abroad. Similar approach to when I go hiking by myself: let at least one person know you'll be gone and at what time / when they should expect you back. As safe as air travel is, you never know.
Yup. Basic safety--someone should know. I only give a general area I'm hiking in but I carry an inReach set for 10 minute pings. If S&R got called that would give them a better location than any itinerary I could leave as it's always possible to get off the path and sometimes I don't even have an exact path in mind. (Last Saturday I simply picked a labeled spot on the map and headed out to see what was there. Not really bushwhacking as I'm in the desert, the vegetation wasn't an obstacle, the terrain sometimes was. I knew where I was heading, I only knew approximately how I would get there.)
TGarza likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Yes, I tell someone, always. Only for travel. When I was younger, I went to lots of local places without telling anybody, especially for night activities. So if I got a spiked drink at Badlands, nobody would know where I had gone and that could have been messy.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If I have to tell someone I am traveling every time, I would not be traveling as much as I do. Let's just leave it there...
tentseller and bitterproffit like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Just today, I browsed through the Russia-based Airlines forum. Wouldn't dare tell anyone.
Flashing back to SU flights on their IL-96's held together with duct tape.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would hope and assume that some business travel, such as that of M&A teams, is secret, as well as travel for the purpose of attending a job interview. In fact, some of this happens in hotel conference centers to reduce the risk of certain people being recognized in the wild.

Did the "Up in the Air" guy tell anyone about his travel?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would hope and assume that some business travel, such as that of M&A teams, is secret, as well as travel for the purpose of attending a job interview. In fact, some of this happens in hotel conference centers to reduce the risk of certain people being recognized in the wild.

Did the "Up in the Air" guy tell anyone about his travel?
I bumped into my boss at the airport as I was flying out for an interview. I had been planning to call out sick the next day. I made up a BS story that didn’t hold up well when my flight was canceled and I showed up in the office the next day.
tentseller likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:29 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Before COVID massively changed my lifestyle it was quite common.

When I'd hit multiple cities in a single week I would get texts from everyone from my boss to my friends and family asking where I was that day.

When you are on the road more than you are home most people really stop caring where you are exactly. They just assume you are somewhere.

I can also remember walking into our offices and people would be shocked that I was there versus on the road.

The only trips I feel weird talking about are the straight long haul mileage runs. Its just not worth it to explain to someone that you "sort of" went to Tokyo over the weekend. If you are not plugged into the FlyerTalk universe you just look strange.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
The only trips I feel weird talking about are the straight long haul mileage runs. Its just not worth it to explain to someone that you "sort of" went to Tokyo over the weekend. If you are not plugged into the FlyerTalk universe you just look strange.
"Yah - I was hankering for some good sushi!"

David
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... I would get texts from everyone from my boss to my friends and family asking where I was that day.

When you are on the road more than you are home most people really stop caring where you are exactly. They just assume you are somewhere.
not at all difficult to grasp

If you are not plugged into the FlyerTalk universe you just look strange.
I am not gonna walk through that wide-open door

she who is now Mrs767 and I were in our third year of cohabitation; there was a six-week stretch that saw me going SEA-BWI two weeks in a row, SEA-LAX the following week, then two more SEA-BWI all-weekers ... the sixth week was supposed to be fairly light with just a Thurs down-and-back to LAX ... Wed morning my boss told me that I had to be at a meeting in Baltimore, 0900-1600EDT Fri

< this is a fairly junior engineer talking to a second-level manager >
"First Class LAX-Baltimore on Thurs night; hotel on Fri; First Class back to Seattle on Sat; and overtime pay for Sat"

boss grins and says "You know we can't pay you overtime for a day you're only traveling."

got off the jet at BWI around 0715, went to the hotel (had stayed there three of the previous four trips), showered, changed clothes, went to the meeting ... it wrapped up at noon so I went back to the hotel to find the room already made up ... called the front desk and asked if they would mind if I just left, supervisor said "no problem, we know you'll be back in a couple weeks" (and adjusted the bill to a day rate which was something like 40% of the nightly rate)

called to switch flights, called home, said "I'll be at the airport around 930; United 47 from JFK"

"Which airport? All you do is work, fly, and sleep!" < click! >
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Do you ever travel overseas on a mileage run/short vacation without telling a soul?
All.
The.
Time.
(well, at least I did)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.