Reload this Page >

Discarded paper boarding passes are vulnerable to mischief

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discarded paper boarding passes are vulnerable to mischief

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
On a separate note...

Not only with boarding passes, but also with the "downloads" folder at any computer in a hotel business center!

You can find all sorts of interesting things just by going to "downloads" when using a public computer.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by daniellam
On a separate note...

Not only with boarding passes, but also with the "downloads" folder at any computer in a hotel business center!

You can find all sorts of interesting things just by going to "downloads" when using a public computer.
Most hotels' computers automatically clear their cache when browser is closed. For those that don't those people are idiots.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I once "located" the boarding pass for the PAX I sat next to in FC. They yammered on and on on their status and how they always got FC upgrades. They had horrid BO. Would not have been so bad but they had halitosis too. Worse still they took their shoes off, their feet smelt like 1000 year old fermented cheese. And of course they put their feet up on the bulkhead wall. The final blow was their flatulence. Nearly made me barf. I finally had to ask the FA for a lime to put under my nose.

During their yammering it came out they were going to be on the same onward flight as myself. That is when I "located" their boarding pass which was for the next flight. Damn, I was going to be sitting next to them again!!. I decided that I was going to have none of it and took no chances. While the PAX was in the lav purging who knows what from their bowels I got my laptop out and with a few swift key strokes located their PNR. For their next flight I change their seat to 33E clear in the back next to the lav. Saved!!!

The epilogue was on the next flight while enjoying my PDB the PAX boarded and found someone new in their seat. The stench of the PAX was nothing compared to the stink they raised. They demanded to see the other person's boarding pass, demanded they move. The other PAX pressed the call button for the FA, who took both boarding passes and vowed to sort things out. Soon the FA returned with a new boarding pass and gave it to the PAX. The expression on their face was priceless when they realized their seat was now in the back. At that point FC was full as was the rest of the flight so the PAX had no choice but to take their newly assigned seat. Which I forgot to mention was not only in the back but also a middle seat.

As the PAX started their walk of shame. I raised my glass and smiled. As the plane taxied out, my new seat mate remarked how they could not believe they got an upgrade at the gate.

Now you all know why my location is "on the path to perdition."
At least you were nice enough not to cancel their flight
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
In the early days of PreCheck, when getting the three beeps was more random, you could tell ahead of time by loading a PDF of your BP into a Web site that would translate the bar code. If there was a “3” at the end of your ticket number, you knew you would have PreCheck. There’s a lot of data in that bar code - yet another reason to shred any paper boarding passes. Also, if you want a paper boarding pass and the business center printer isn’t working, you may be tempted to email your BP to a front desk clerk. Better to wait for the airport and print it there. The only time I felt like I didn’t have a choice was an airport in India where you had to show a paper boarding pass to get in the terminal.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
one would think that accessing an airline itinerary would require an additional level of security, such as, perhaps, last four digits of credit card number used to buy the ticket, numerical portion of traveler's home address, or something.
Today's TalkMail picked this topic up.

Regarding security, the airline industry is well aware of the problem. The consensus is that it would be too involved to add additional layers of protection. Many PNRs originate from TA's or OAL, and they all include different data bits. Many tickets aren't bought with credit cards. Home addresses can be formatted in dozens of ways and are often not included in the PNR anyway. Adding these security layers would only complicate legitimate consultation and use of PNR data; many would even be locked out of OLCI. Be careful what you wish for.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes, they definitely are.
This is why I never just leave mine lying around.
Besides, I create "travel art" (if you can call it that) with all my travel stuff.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I fly an increasing proportion of my flights without any paper boarding passes in hand, but I still prefer paper boarding passes as much as possible. The chances of some mischief-making character getting ahold of my paper boarding pass is very low except at the point when I am dealing with the TSA andtheir ID and travel document checking nonsense. I wish the same could be said for when I am with checked luggage, as the luggage tag routinely has the name and PNR on it. Photographing/video recording the checked bag tags coming around on a baggage belt at the airports is a vehicle for mischief.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Also during IRROPs, I find having the physical paper boarding pass makes handling of situations much easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.