Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airlines that serve free alcohol from Europe to the U.S?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines that serve free alcohol from Europe to the U.S?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
True, I missed that. even so, if you budget EUR100 for drinks, you’re probably still far better off that a stopover somewhere.
Here's their price list, https://www.aerlingus.com/media/pdfs/bia.pdf

If you drank 100€ worth of that, would you be able to walk off the plane?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Then EI really seems like the ideal solution. In my past experience, their coach fares were usually in line with other major carriers, and they're nonstop. Spend a few bucks on a couple drinks. Get to LA with the least amount of hassle.
Nothing wrong with EI but they're not necessarily going to be any cheaper than BA or AFKLM to LA. Those other airlines are selling connecting flights and airlines are well aware travelers prefer direct flights. EI may be offering the direct flight at a competitive price or they may be charging a premium for the direct flight.

These days though I would prefer a direct flight. Connections raise all the questions about travel rules for the connecting destination.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

Yes, I saw the price list. A few cocktails, a few glasses of wine. Adds up pretty quickly!
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, I saw the price list. A few cocktails, a few glasses of wine. Adds up pretty quickly!
At 5€ to 6€ per hard liquor mini or serving of wine, that's a minimum of 15 drinks for 100€.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Without belaboring the point, the issue was that a direct route, even if it means paying for a few drinks, was probably the sensible way to go. But I have no doubt that I could spend EUR100 on a flight from DUB to LAX.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Then EI really seems like the ideal solution. In my past experience, their coach fares were usually in line with other major carriers, and they're nonstop. Spend a few bucks on a couple drinks. Get to LA with the least amount of hassle.

Also has the benefit of being a reasonably decent airline to fly as a non-elite or low-elite. They are a friendly airline and don't go out of their way to treat non-elites poorly like US carriers often do. More of a level-ish playing field.

(By "decent airline" I'm mainly thinking of their long-haul Y product, as compared to other long-haul Y products. Short-haul has more of a ULCC vibe but long-haul is not bad.)
I may be wrong but as you're starting in Dublin with them do you do US pre-clearance Immigration in Dublin when flying with EI? Therefore when you get to the US then you're like a domestic flight and a lot quicker through the terminal. That's a big benefit to me too. You won't get that if you fly to any other country first.

T
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At 5€ to 6€ per hard liquor mini or serving of wine, that's a minimum of 15 drinks for 100€.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Originally Posted by toothy
I may be wrong but as you're starting in Dublin with them do you do US pre-clearance Immigration in Dublin when flying with EI? Therefore when you get to the US then you're like a domestic flight and a lot quicker through the terminal. That's a big benefit to me too. You won't get that if you fly to any other country first.

T
Yes, that's generally true - although when I flew through there in 2019 I noticed a sign that a couple specific flights did not have preclearance and you'd go through immigration after landing in the U.S. I don't know if there's a predictable pattern to it or not.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:36 pm

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Okay, but you have fulfill both halves of the original challenge:

1. spend 100€ on booze on EI DUB-LAX , consume said booze in the air

2. be able to walk off the plane under your own power
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Okay, but you have fulfill both halves of the original challenge:

1. spend 100€ on booze on EI DUB-LAX , consume said booze in the air

2. be able to walk off the plane under your own power
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Yes, that's generally true - although when I flew through there in 2019 I noticed a sign that a couple specific flights did not have preclearance and you'd go through immigration after landing in the U.S. I don't know if there's a predictable pattern to it or not.
I think all EI and US carrier flights use the facility, the only one that didn’t was Ethiopian Airlines ADD-DUB-LAX iirc
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:55 pm

Preclearance has specific hours of operation. Most flights to the US leave in the morning to early afternoon. Sometimes airlines have flights that depart after preclearance closes.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold

Totally unrelated to the topic, but that Flahavan's porridge is probably tastier than 95% of Y breakfasts out there. A steal at €3.50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.