Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are some hotel shuttle buses exclusive to airline crews?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR

We were sitting in the hotel shuttle bus at SAT waiting for departure, when an AA crew arrived and BOS based FA Colleen demanded that I wear a mask. I just wore a mask on AA for about 8 hours. I tested negative for Covid 24 hours ago and Texas does not require a mask. The hotel does not require mask. But Colleen loudly and rudely demanded that I wear a mask when I am riding in HER shuttle bus. She continued to claim that the shuttle is exclusive for the crew, yet neither the driver or the captain or co-pilot backed her up.

If the shuttle was exclusive to the crew, why would the driver load our bags and let us board?
If the driver had told me it is an exclusive crew shuttle, I would have gladly waited on the next one.

If this is how Colleen treats passengers when she is off duty, can you imagine what she does to passengers on HER plane? This is not a good look for AA when off duty personnel in full uniform berate, complain and whine about customers when on private property (Hotel shuttle bus).
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Colleen was confused.

Yes, some hotel transportation is exclusive for the flight crew. There are times when the airline has contracted with the hotel, or with a third-party transportation company, to provide exclusive transportation, often off-schedule from the hotel's normal transportation schedule. This is more often the case when it is not an airport hotel. Crews more frequently use the normal hotel shared transportation when it is an airport hotel and not one farther away from the airport. At my airline, most of the transportation to airport hotels in NOT exclusive, and most of the transportation to downtown hotels IS exclusive. There are exceptions to both.

Colleen is confused because her company likely requires HER, and all of their crewmembers, to wear a mask while riding in hotel busses. That applies to her even when the hotel, city, and state do not have such a requirement. It sounds like she was unaware of that distinction.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LarryJ
At my airline, most of the transportation to airport hotels in NOT exclusive, and most of the transportation to downtown hotels IS exclusive. There are exceptions to both.
The Hilton SFO uses their smaller vans for both off-hours, on-demand (particularly during covid with few pickups - seems like in the last week they're doing less of that and they're getting back to a normal schedule with a larger vehicle), and airline crew shuttles. I've been turned away several times, both at the hotel and airport, for trying to board those shuttles as you really can't distinguish that it's a crew shuttle. In each case the driver has jumped out and told me it's a crew shuttle. Pretty used to that now.

In deltahaters case, though, the driver did not back up the flight attendant. Clearly it was a public shuttle and she was wrong to think it was a dedicated crew shuttle.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Colleen's entitlement, actions and arrogance is what the issue is here. (I did put on the mask for the 5 min ride without any argument). (And Colleen sat in a different row anyways). That however, did not stop Colleen from berating my wife at the hotel.
I don't disagree with you that she was rude and clearly she was mistaken to think she was on a dedicated crew shuttle. I'm glad you put the mask on.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 3:00 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hi folks - a reminder that this topic is about hotel shuttle buses being exclusive for airline crews. This is NOT a thread to discuss state mask mandates or to discuss individual airline policies; those discussions can be had in their appropriate fora. Thanks for helping us keep this thread on-topic. /Moderator
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Note to self, if you ever own a hotel near an airport, offer a shuttle bus. People will pay more for a hotel for something "free". Rather than taking an often more convenient, $10 uber.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by tom911
Clearly it was a public shuttle and she was wrong to think it was a dedicated crew shuttle.
It was not a public shuttle but a private shuttle for hotel guests, subject to the hotels rules.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Note to self, if you ever own a hotel near an airport, offer a shuttle bus. People will pay more for a hotel for something "free". Rather than taking an often more convenient, $10 uber.
I am with you. I would rather pay $200 for a hotel room with a free shuttle as opposed to a $160 hotel room and $20 shuttle.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
To be fair I have seen a few different airline crews "schedules" and there is a small line under the hotel that talks about the transportation and usually isn't more than a couple of words. If it's a hotel shuttle or a private arrangement.

They usually get their whole month of flying on one page with all of these details. It would be pretty easy for a flight crew member on a heavy schedule to mix up the details.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Colleen was confused.

Yes, some hotel transportation is exclusive for the flight crew. There are times when the airline has contracted with the hotel, or with a third-party transportation company, to provide exclusive transportation, often off-schedule from the hotel's normal transportation schedule. This is more often the case when it is not an airport hotel. Crews more frequently use the normal hotel shared transportation when it is an airport hotel and not one farther away from the airport. At my airline, most of the transportation to airport hotels in NOT exclusive, and most of the transportation to downtown hotels IS exclusive. There are exceptions to both.

Colleen is confused because her company likely requires HER, and all of their crewmembers, to wear a mask while riding in hotel busses. That applies to her even when the hotel, city, and state do not have such a requirement. It sounds like she was unaware of that distinction.
We don't know any of that.

Entirely possible that AA's contract w. the property does require that it provide a dedicated shuttle with all aboard masked. None of us have seen that contract, so I would not presume anything.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I am with you. I would rather pay $200 for a hotel room with a free shuttle as opposed to a $160 hotel room and $20 shuttle.
Same. And if a hotel in any way markets itself as an "airport" hotel, my baseline expectation that a shuttle is included in my rate. It's a standard part of the airport hotel product. The hotel is free to set its room rate however it likes...

A pet peeve of mine is a hotel that is, say, 5 or 6 miles away from the airport calling itself an airport hotel and not providing a complimentary shuttle. That's a jerk move to both the guest who shows up to find no shuttle...and the Uber/taxi driver that gets stuck with that short trip after waiting in an airport queue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:42 am

There are plenty of hotels within 4 miles of an airport without a free shuttle. Las Vegas for example, several hotels on the strip are close to the airport but they don’t provide a shuttle
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by nd2010
There are plenty of hotels within 4 miles of an airport without a free shuttle. Las Vegas for example, several hotels on the strip are close to the airport but they don’t provide a shuttle
Which one markets itself as an airport hotel though and doesn't have a shuttle?

Do people care about the shuttle hours, or is a hourly service (and maybe just a 5am-1am service depending on airport hours) sufficient, as long as shuttle has space ?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Do people care about the shuttle hours, or is a hourly service (and maybe just a 5am-1am service depending on airport hours) sufficient, as long as shuttle has space ?
speaking for myself, YES, I care about shuttle hours ... if I have a midnight arrival or a sunrise (0600) departure, I won't book a hotel with shuttle service that won't be operating when I need it ... esp if rental car counters also publish hours that don't support (looking at you, BNA)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nd2010
But none of them market themselves as airport hotels.

San Diego, Toronto, Phoenix, etc....lots of cities where downtown and an airport are fairly close together, but you can usually tell which ones are specifically calling themselves out as airport hotels and which aren't.

Regarding hours of shuttle coverage, I'd at least expect it to operate early enough to get you to the terminal 1 hour prior to the first scheduled commercial flight. Late enough to gather the last people claiming baggage from the final regular commercial flight of the night. In many cities 5AM-1AM probably covers it. In others that might be 24x7.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.