Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Getting a sport or private pilot license: where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a sport or private pilot license: where?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Doesn't the student have to pass a physical before even starting lessons? I would make sure I would be able to pass the FAA Physical before flying to the USA for lessons, especially if you are already in your 40's.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Doesn't the student have to pass a physical before even starting lessons? I would make sure I would be able to pass the FAA Physical before flying to the USA for lessons, especially if you are already in your 40's.
The FAA doesn't require medical certificates for student pilots until they are soloing. Until that point the instructor is pilot in command and the only one required to have a certificate. Not that an FAA medical certificate is all that difficult to qualify for, I've had a few people tell me that getting a DOT card was much harder than getting an FAA card.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Herb687
As to getting an instrument rating, I assume that my comments above with regards to the SF Bay Area would also apply to LON. I bet LON is a great place to work on an instrument rating: plenty of opportunity to spend time in actual hard IMC..
LON is great if you want to spend 2-3 times the money (compared to USA) to get your instrument rating.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Don't forget that even when you are eventually permitted to physically visit the US, you'll need a student Visa, and that process can take months to achieve. In addition you'll also need to pass the TSA Alien Flight Student Program background screening.

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots...alidation-rule

It's certainly cheaper to do the training in the US, but not necessarily painless to start the process.... Also, as others have said, even with 3-4 flight lessons a week, It'll take you 8+ weeks to get that first certificate. And for the IR, you'll need to log 40 hours of simulated or actual instrument time and 50 hours of cross country. That can take a while to accumulate....

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...trument-rating

Finally you'll need to prove you can read, write and speak English....
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Get a copy of
Stick and Rudder Stick and Rudder

Learn to fly in a J-3 Cub.

No first hand experience with this school, they were the first one that Google gave me. There are probably others.

There is nothing like touching down on a grass strip on an early summer evening in a Cub. The bottom half of the door flips up a bit right before the tire makes contact and then you smell the fresh grass.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Remembering many decades ago. I wanted to upgrade a CML slab wing to add a rotorcraft rating. Opened a Flying magazine (before internet) looking for helicopter schools. Florida, Texas, California, Kona----No decision. Still live here, one of the best decisions I ever made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.