Wiki Posts
Search

Airbnb is close to filing for an IPO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Airbnb is close to filing for an IPO

Airbnb plans to file paperwork for a stock market listing in the next few weeks paving the way for its shares to start trading as soon as the fourth quarter, according to people familiar with the matter.
https://fortune.com/2020/08/11/airbn...ng-for-an-ipo/
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
rights of former ees ?

Three short months ago, Chesky laid off 1900 - 25 % of AirBnB's workforce: I would be interested what (if any) rights these former ees have in the IPO? Can't wait to hear about the lawsuits!

Last edited by Antonio8069; Aug 12, 2020 at 3:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Three short months ago, Chesky laid off 1900 - 25 % of AirBnB's workforce: I would be interested what (if any) rights these former ees have in the IPO? Can't wait to hear about the lawsuits!
Apparently...

Equity

We are dropping the one-year cliff on equity for everyone we’ve hired in the past year so that everyone departing, regardless of how long they have been here, is a shareholder. Additionally, everyone leaving is eligible for the May 25 vesting date.
The source is here:
https://news.airbnb.com/a-message-fr...-brian-chesky/

I wonder how much they're valued at?
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by dynamiteReady

I wonder how much they're valued at?
The last round of private equity funding was reportedly a “down round” at an $18 billion valuation.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/11/airb...his-month.html

i would think it would be challenging to do a successful IPO for this company given the current uncertainty over Covid19, declining revenues, layoffs, operating losses, etc. But they may need an infusion of capital and it could be they think they can do better in the public market than they would by trying to raise another private round. All speculation, I have no first hand knowledge.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Actually an AirBnB IPO would be uber successful, as their business has quasi recovered, with AirBnB seeing bookings in smaller cities where people can drive to, unlike the hotel industry.

Last edited by dsftm; Aug 20, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Old Aug 17, 2020, 2:46 pm

Revenues were down 67% year over year for the quarter ended June 30. I can’t imagine small markets where people are driving can begin to climb out of that hole, especially with international travel gutted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...anned-for-2020
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ravenalive
Revenues were down 67% year over year for the quarter ended June 30. I can’t imagine small markets where people are driving can begin to climb out of that hole, especially with international travel gutted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...anned-for-2020
Not that I am obsessed with AirBNB, but you can't seem to take a break from wanting to tell everyone how terrible they are. They are in essence, a travel company. We all know how much travel has been in shambles. For a long-term investment, this has a lot of upside opportunity. Assuming travel bounces back and that this model isn't a failing one are much bigger things to consider than how a travel company performed in the height of COVID.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Not that I am obsessed with AirBNB, but you can't seem to take a break from wanting to tell everyone how terrible they are. They are in essence, a travel company. We all know how much travel has been in shambles. For a long-term investment, this has a lot of upside opportunity. Assuming travel bounces back and that this model isn't a failing one are much bigger things to consider than how a travel company performed in the height of COVID.
The article also shows progress.. "Airbnb saw more nights booked for U.S. listings between May 17 and June 3 than the same period in 2019, and a similar boost in domestic travel globally"
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by ravenalive
Revenues were down 67% year over year for the quarter ended June 30.
2Q2020, which included about two months of complete shutdown in the US alone, is not indicative of the future. Plus, revenues down 67% during that time period actually sounds quite good relative to other parts of the travel industry (UA’s revenues were down 87% in 2Q, for instance).
Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Not that I am obsessed with AirBNB, but you can't seem to take a break from wanting to tell everyone how terrible they are.
Not my intention at all, i think you misunderstand. I never said they were terrible — I am a big fan of AirBnb. My wife and I have stayed in AirBnb places all over the world (U.S., France, Spain, Caribbean, etc.). We were relatively early adopters and have been very satisfied. I am not knocking the company, just questioning the timing of an IPO and valuation at present given their financials and what’s going on in the world. My initial post re valuation was simply a reply to an earlier question in this thread wondering about the topic — I didn’t bring it up, just responded. Not bashing them at all. I can like a company and its products/services but still question its valuation (Tesla comes to mind). I will be interested to see AirBnb’s results for the quarter ending Sept 30 and to see how they are valued in an IPO.

Last edited by ravenalive; Aug 22, 2020 at 12:42 pm Reason: Additional thought
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

$219 million in net income on revenues of $1.34 billion last quarter.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/16/airb...ing-drops.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.