Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel for the end of the year

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Travel for the end of the year

Anyone have any plans for travel near the end of the year? I am really thinking about booking some flights to go to Australia (preferably) but Im curious what happens if there are still travel restrictions at that point? Im also considering Europe and Japan as well as possible destinations.

Obviously no one knows exactly what will happen but if I book award seats will I be able to easily rebook for different dates? Just curious what other opinions are.....
Old May 22, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choff5507
Anyone have any plans for travel near the end of the year? I am really thinking about booking some flights to go to Australia (preferably) but I'm curious what happens if there are still travel restrictions at that point? I'm also considering Europe and Japan as well as possible destinations.

Obviously no one knows exactly what will happen but if I book award seats will I be able to easily rebook for different dates? Just curious what other opinions are.....
The Australian government has stated the AU border will be closed for a long time. No official indication on when it will be open. Would be surprised if the AU border will be opened this calendar year, other than for Australia<---->New Zealand. Given that Covid-19 in USA is not under control, USA is likely to be at the bottom of the list for entry.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million
USA 286.11 deaths per million and not slowing down
Aust 3.92 deaths per million and slowing down (USA-AU factor ~1 :73)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/n...es-per-million
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...s-covid-region
New infections in Australia are low to zero for some AU states
So Australia may not be an option for you.

Rebooking or refunding of cash or award seats will be as the airline ffp t&c's at the time. If the airline is flying and you cannot fly due to government restrictions that is your problem. Always the passengers responsibility to have the correct passport/visa/documentation for transit and entry to a country. Not the airlines problem.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 22, 2020 at 2:56 pm Reason: added link
Old May 22, 2020, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
We have a trip to the UK planned in early November. I had the odds at 50-50 a month ago. 80-20 against now.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Live in Austria. Planned and partially booked for Rio, Iguaçu, Buenos Aires and Montevideo, departing late October.

Chances of completing the trip in its originally planned form: maybe 30%.

Also tentatively planning my usual 6-8 weeks in South Africa during the winter. I think, a better than even chance.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
There is existing discussion in the Japan forum regarding travel there. The upshot is that you are unlikely to be permitted entry any time this year.
Old May 23, 2020, 2:41 am

I hears Sicily will be paying you for part of your hotel expenses if you go there later this year, to boost tourism. Might take up on that.
Old May 23, 2020, 4:12 am

Impact of COVID-19 on the Travel Industry

According to The World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), it may take more than ten months before the tourism market recovers. That said, restrictions are already lifting in many parts of the world. China, for example, has already taken away the requirement to wear masks in bars and restaurants.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
I booked a trip for my family to the Grand Canyon in August. The airfare is 100% refundable, so I rolled the dice. I expect 60/40 that we will go.
cargueiro likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 9:56 pm

I've already cancelled multiple trips but the November trip to Paris technically still exists. I would in absolutely no way be surprised if it is cancelled as well.
Old May 25, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
There are strong feelings about visiting much older inlaws (Sfo-ord) this year for visit or funeral and I’m just afraid of any travel, even for the visit or funeral. This thread only reinforces my opinion - eek. What about you USA folk who are flying domestic?

a friend bought cheap sfo/Hawaii tickets for August - he mentioned it in April. He and his wife are doctors so they know some things. I can’t bear to ask him about that trip but I did tell him about getting my own UAL refund for my cancelled April maui trip.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by choff5507
Anyone have any plans for travel near the end of the year? I am really thinking about booking some flights to go to Australia (preferably) but Im curious what happens if there are still travel restrictions at that point? Im also considering Europe and Japan as well as possible destinations.

Do you have status such that you could do an award cancellation/redeposit without having to pay fees? If so then no harm in grabbing the seats and hoping for the best. But I probably wouldn't book anything non-refundable right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.