Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When can I plan future travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

When can I plan future travel?

While we are shut down in many parts of the world, I feel there's social backlash to travel right now. But I want to plan my next trip. Is it OK to start making travel plans again? Or am I an insensitive jackass?
Old May 1, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Well, 240 flights departed various airports in Korea to Jeju today. I'm not sure where you are, but there doesn't appear to be much social backlash against travel. Granted, these are domestic flights, but still.

News View
Old May 1, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Plan all you like. Just don’t book anything until you know there are flights, you’ll be allowed to go without a two week quarantine, and are covered for medical care.
trooper, Annalisa12 and Hezu like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Plan all you like. Just don’t book anything until you know there are flights, you’ll be allowed to go without a two week quarantine, and are covered for medical care.
Yes - the problem will be renewing your travel policy. Mine runs out in August and I suspect that the renewal options will either exclude COVID, or be ruinously expensive.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pfreet
Or am I an insensitive jackass?
You'll always be considered this by some..... Covid-19 or not. I figure the people I see when carrying out said travel are doing the same so who are they to judge?

Reminds me of my younger days frequenting bars..... I'd see a guy sitting there and think, Wow, this same guy is here every night. Then it occurred to me... he's probably thinking the same thing about me

I say go for it. I can promise you there is at least one other insensitive jackass out there with you!
Old May 1, 2020, 5:20 pm

You are a Jack A. Just kidding. I wanted to be first person to name call.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
do all the planning you want, just be prepared for it to not happen as quickly as you want. you're not a jackass for planning, you'd be a bit of a jackass for expecting to be able to travel wherever you want in the short term
Old May 2, 2020, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
You can fly today if you want in the US but some destinations have strict quarantine requirements. Overseas is a different story. Most routes to Europe, Asia and Pacific from the US have been temporarily suspended.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Yes - the problem will be renewing your travel policy. Mine runs out in August and I suspect that the renewal options will either exclude COVID, or be ruinously expensive.
My policy (which I cleverly renewed in January) has a specific exclusion for pandemics. Surely most policies would? The lack of insurance cover will kill most international leisure travel and almost all non-essential business travel, imo.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
My policy (which I cleverly renewed in January) has a specific exclusion for pandemics. Surely most policies would? The lack of insurance cover will kill most international leisure travel and almost all non-essential business travel, imo.
Do you think most people travel for non-essential reasons only if they have insurance coverage? I wish you were right but I don't think that's the case at all.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mmff
Do you think most people travel for non-essential reasons only if they have insurance coverage?
For international? Yes absolutely. And until there is a vaccine I would assume the number of people travelling without insurance would be even lower. Let's say someone has booked their European holiday and at check-in when their temperature is taken it registers they have a fever. They are sent for testing and it turns out they have Covid-19 and can't travel. No insurance so they lose flights/hotels/excursion etc etc. How many people do you think are going to chance that when they can book a domestic/driving holiday with far less risk? I could also foresee a situation where poorer countries will not let tourists enter without medical insurance in case they develop Covid-19 and require hospitalisation.

As lhrsfo points out the cost of insuring that risk will probs make it prohibitevley expensive for 95% of travellers.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by pfreet
While we are shut down in many parts of the world, I feel there's social backlash to travel right now. But I want to plan my next trip. Is it OK to start making travel plans again? Or am I an insensitive jackass?
I had some flights reserved that I ended up cancelling before the airline cancelled them, which means I ended up with a bit of credit on account instead of refunds to my credit card. Since then, I've booked a trip here and there that I'd love to take, but then either I or the airline cancel them before the date of departure. I know none of them are going to happen for a while, and the funds just go back to my mileage account. It's a psychological crutch, I guess, the thought that "Yay, I have a trip scheduled two weeks from now!" The trips don't happen, but as soon as one dies, I reserve another. I can't get the money back anyway. Might as well fantasize in the form of a short-lived itinerary.

I don't know where your home base is on the planet is, [MENTION=813161]pfreet[/MENTION], but if you can afford to put a day's wages into flight reservations that might not happen (which is what I've done) and keep recycling them into updated reservations, it might be worth it.

Or, to put it another way, this is what I've done to help ease me through my travel withdrawal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.