Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pyjamas?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Pyjamas?

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before, I'm new here and would have missed the topic if from a while ago.

On my last flight in business I noticed a fair few people hurrying to jump into pyjamas whilst the aircraft was still at the gate.
I thought nothing of it but, on reflection, I decided that it would not be a practice that I would follow. It was a usual UK day in January, about 8C outside with some rain about.
Had the aircraft rejected its take off at high speed I'm told the only means of leaving the plane would be down the slides, how would that be for the man in his pyjamas and flip flops?
In that case passengers are urged to get away from the aircraft as quickly as possible, probably across the grass. Emergency services would be fully engaged fighting any fires (wheels, brakes, whatever) and saving the lives of any still on board.
There would probably be a finite time before people outside would be marshalled together and transport found to take them to safety.
I think I'll keep my PJ's in the bag until we are safely airborne!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mellers318
Hi, apologies if this has been covered before, I'm new here and would have missed the topic if from a while ago.

On my last flight in business I noticed a fair few people hurrying to jump into pyjamas whilst the aircraft was still at the gate.
I thought nothing of it but, on reflection, I decided that it would not be a practice that I would follow. It was a usual UK day in January, about 8C outside with some rain about.
Had the aircraft rejected its take off at high speed I'm told the only means of leaving the plane would be down the slides, how would that be for the man in his pyjamas and flip flops?
In that case passengers are urged to get away from the aircraft as quickly as possible, probably across the grass. Emergency services would be fully engaged fighting any fires (wheels, brakes, whatever) and saving the lives of any still on board.
There would probably be a finite time before people outside would be marshalled together and transport found to take them to safety.
I think I'll keep my PJ's in the bag until we are safely airborne!
You are correct, but this also applies to removing shoes, and storing passports away from your body. The super-careful do none of these things, the majority don't give it another thought.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I'm with the OP, I don't change into PJs or swap shoes for slippers and put my passport/wallet away into stowage until we're at cruising altitude.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never considered the safety angle, but if I'm using the airline's PJs, I don't put them on until a couple hours into the flight. Usually after the first meal. And my wallet, passport, and phone never leave my direct control - either on my body or within arm's reach. If I'm asleep, they're definitely on my body in a place no one could get to without waking me up.

I would think FAs would advise people not to change clothes during the boarding process - if for no other reason than it's unnecessary movement and complexity while they're just trying to get people loaded and seated so the plane can depart.
Badenoch likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Depends on the flight. For a red-eye long haul flight, I would change into the pyjamas especially in F since the cabin is not that busy. Chances of airplane accident are just too low that I would not consider that. On J cabins, again it depends on how busy the flight is and if it is a red-eye flight. But I would certainly change into something comfortable onboard, like trainers and long sleeve T-shirt even if there is no pyjamas. I mean even in cold weather, most passengers in premium classes hand over their winter coats/jackets to the crew for storage, so even in emergencies they are unlikely to be returned one by one.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are many things I worry about. This is not one of them, but to each their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.